+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kids are US citizens but we are not

Samu Sharma

May 25, 2018
Hello everyone. We are in USA since last 8 years. We have 2 kids who were born here but we don’t have a GC yet. My husband has completed PhD and now working in OPT. He has 2 more years to expire his visa and his job is not sponsoring H1b or GC. So we are planning to apply for Canada through express entry. So I have mainly 2 questions 1. Do you need to hire a lawyer to apply for PR through express Entry or you apply by yourself? 2. As my kids are US citizens, do I need to apply for them too or should I say no kids? Please reply. Thank you.

pitico55

Star Member
Jul 22, 2017
Hello everyone. We are in USA since last 8 years. We have 2 kids who were born here but we don’t have a GC yet. My husband has completed PhD and now working in OPT. He has 2 more years to expire his visa and his job is not sponsoring H1b or GC. So we are planning to apply for Canada through express entry. So I have mainly 2 questions 1. Do you need to hire a lawyer to apply for PR through express Entry or you apply by yourself? 2. As my kids are US citizens, do I need to apply for them too or should I say no kids? Please reply. Thank you.
1. In Most cases you don't need a lawyer, if you take the time to read the information available on IRCC website and complement it with some research on the forum. You surely can do it all by yourself.
2. You have to include them in the application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Your kids being US citizens gives them zero right to live in Canada, so not sure why you would think you don't need to include them.