+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kidney Transplant

Jan 24, 2019
Hi ,

i had undergone a kidney transplant last year in india

have a couple of queries .
1) i am currently in India and planning to come to Canada on work permit. my Company will be filing work permit . will there be any issue in medicals ? my company gives sunlife insurance for medicines / dental ...
2) once i am in Canada , can i apply for PR. not sure if i come under ( 20,000 Canadian ) limit .

Just checked on Canadian website it cost approx 4200 Canadian per year cost

can anyone share there experience or inputs

Thanks
Canadian Aspirant

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked up at your medications in a formulary from one of the provinces? It would depend on why you needed a kidney transplant? The likelihood of you needing another one. Your overall health. They are very careful with people with kidney disease because of the very high cost of dialysis.

Jan 24, 2019
Thanks canuck78.

Ohh got it.

So chances are very less to get a pr correct ?

Also , if my company sends me on work permit I need to go through medicals . Will it be also tougher to pass as PR medicals ? Will it be different from PR medicals

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you may have difficulty getting PR but it will depend on your actual health history and health at the time of interview plus you current use of medication and use of the health care system. Definitely not impossible but you may have to provide a report from your doctor about you health and prognosis. You may be asked to perform extra tests. Although you have extended health benefits with your job they have to factor in the cost of your care if you were only dependent on the province because things like job losses happen. Hopefully your health will remain the same when you apply for PR but many people discover health issues between when they arrived in Canada as a worker or student and when they apply for PR.

We see that there is a lower threshold for students to get approval if they have health issues because they are usually dependent on a international student health plan or the provincial one. I would imagine the financial cut-off is the same for workers and PRs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks @canuck78

any one you know who has moved to canada on wp / applied for PR after kidney transplant . to know his experience ?
Hard to compare based on others experience because the person's complete health is considered. If you are relatively young and health is good you probably have a decent chance. You need to make sure you check all your medications on a Canadian formulary. You also need to realize that Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program so arriving without a job with extended health benefits would not be advisable. If your health does decline you would likely have problems getting PR so you would have to take that risk.

Jan 24, 2019
thanks @canuck78.

i will coming with a job ( my employer will be sending to his canada office ) and also i would be having sunlife insurance which takes care of my pharmacy . provided by company .

let me have a try , if you come across anyone cleared , let me know !

Thanks again !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks @canuck78.

i will coming with a job ( my employer will be sending to his canada office ) and also i would be having sunlife insurance which takes care of my pharmacy . provided by company .

let me have a try , if you come across anyone cleared , let me know !

Thanks again !
Extended benefits only start when your provincial healthcare starts. It is one of the clauses in all the benefit plans I have seen. That would mean up to 3 months without benefits for some provinces.

Dec 15, 2018
HI @aspirant_canadapr . I am in similar boat. Had a kidney transplant 4 years back and I am doing pretty well now. Just wanted to check if you had any issues in getting through the PR process due to your kidney transplant history?

Ver_34

Feb 18, 2023
Yes you may have difficulty getting PR but it will depend on your actual health history and health at the time of interview plus you current use of medication and use of the health care system. Definitely not impossible but you may have to provide a report from your doctor about you health and prognosis. You may be asked to perform extra tests. Although you have extended health benefits with your job they have to factor in the cost of your care if you were only dependent on the province because things like job losses happen. Hopefully your health will remain the same when you apply for PR but many people discover health issues between when they arrived in Canada as a worker or student and when they apply for PR.

We see that there is a lower threshold for students to get approval if they have health issues because they are usually dependent on a international student health plan or the provincial one. I would imagine the financial cut-off is the same for workers and PRs.
Hi @canuck78, I'm also undergone kidney transplant last year April and my latest serum creatinine is 1.4. I recieve a job offer LMIA and employer base specific, will I have a problem going through the medical test in my condition?

All my laboratory results are perfectly normal and my medication are calculated at 6,000 CAD annually.

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78, I'm also undergone kidney transplant last year April and my latest serum creatinine is 1.4. I recieve a job offer LMIA and employer base specific, will I have a problem going through the medical test in my condition?

All my laboratory results are perfectly normal and my medication are calculated at 6,000 CAD annually.

Thanks,
Impossible to say but your chances of a WP are likely good.

Reactions: Ver_34

jjb23

Mar 18, 2023
Impossible to say but your chances of a WP are likely good.
Hello @canuck78 I had also kidney transplant a year ago and I'm 34 years old my current creatinine level is 1.63 mg/dl and my urinalysis, blood chem and other laborator tests are within normal range. Will this be a problem during the medical test? I already have a job offer and LMIA approved

My annual medication is estimated at 15,000 to 17,000 CAD.