+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Keeping status legal in Canada

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts

I am in Canada on PGWP with my spouse on SOWP. Our permits are expiring in December this year. I have applied for Express Entry for both of us and the CRS is 470. With this score and the trend we are seeing, it is unlikely that we will receive the ITA by December. I want to know what my options are here. how can i keep our status valid after December when the work permit expires, so we can stay in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello experts

I am in Canada on PGWP with my spouse on SOWP. Our permits are expiring in December this year. I have applied for Express Entry for both of us and the CRS is 470. With this score and the trend we are seeing, it is unlikely that we will receive the ITA by December. I want to know what my options are here. how can i keep our status valid after December when the work permit expires, so we can stay in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Do you qualify to extend your PGWP under the public policy? If so, that would be the easiest way.

Another option, if you want to keep working, is to have your employer or another employer get an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit.

Yet another option would be to convert your status to visitor. How's if you do this you won't be able to work and won't qualify for coverage under the health care program.

I think it's also very important that you increase your score or look into PNP programs. EE likely isn't possible with the score you have now.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Do you qualify to extend your PGWP under the public policy? If so, that would be the easiest way.

Another option, if you want to keep working, is to have your employer or another employer get an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit.

Yet another option would be to convert your status to visitor. How's if you do this you won't be able to work and won't qualify for coverage under the health care program.

I think it's also very important that you increase your score or look into PNP programs. EE likely isn't possible with the score you have now.
Actually, i just rechecked and my work permit expires Jan 2024 so unfortunately i am not eligible to renew.
And i recalculated the score with my spouse, its comes to around 476, is there any hope that there could be draw at this score in a few months?
Another option that i was thinking is to just apply by myself, my score without a spouse is around 490, if i apply alone and after receiving the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter from IRCC i can apply for BOWP and renew my spouse's SOWP. i am not sure if that is a possibility though. What do you think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Actually, i just rechecked and my work permit expires Jan 2024 so unfortunately i am not eligible to renew.
And i recalculated the score with my spouse, its comes to around 476, is there any hope that there could be draw at this score in a few months?
Another option that i was thinking is to just apply by myself, my score without a spouse is around 490, if i apply alone and after receiving the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter from IRCC i can apply for BOWP and renew my spouse's SOWP. i am not sure if that is a possibility though. What do you think?
I would recommend you post these questions to the EE section of the forum.

Reactions: fq786