+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Keeping PR card after Citizenship

vancouver-pl

Nov 4, 2022
Hi,
I have oath scheduled on 4/20 but I am traveling. I am planning to come back to Canada for the oath and going back to my home country after oath. but the problem is that I will need the PR card to come back to Canada.

I am wondering if Canada will allow me to keep my PR card after oath temporarily.

johnsyk

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-4-2017
AOR Received.
10-4-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-4-2017
No, a PR card is only for a Permanent Resident. One of the things they make you do is to cut the PR card into 4 pieces during the Oath Ceremony and this needs to be clearly shown to the officer on camera. They watch you cutting it. A citizen cannot have a PR card and they do not make exceptions to this. You have the option is to postpone the Oath Ceremony till you are done with your travelling. Another option is to wait for 2 weeks in Canada, get the citizenship certificate (it usually takes about 2 weeks to reach home) and then you can apply for a Canadian passport express pick up.

Last edited:

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi,
I have oath scheduled on 4/20 but I am traveling. I am planning to come back to Canada for the oath and going back to my home country after oath. but the problem is that I will need the PR card to come back to Canada.

I am wondering if Canada will allow me to keep my PR card after oath temporarily.
nope

vancouver-pl

Nov 4, 2022
Maybe it does for you, but this rule seems very reasonable. Are you trying to be some schrodinger man (pr & citizen at the same time) :) Joke asidee, I think your only options are postpone travel until oath is done and you get passport or postpone oath until your travel is done and you are back in Canada.
Hehe.

Reactions: Kayne

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Honestly, I don’t give a sh*t as long as I can keep the pieces and put hem in a frame. It’s been a process y’all.

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON
Hi,

You have to cut your PR card in front of the official, as part of the oath process. If you are travelling urgently with a valid reason you may request your passport to be processed "urgently"

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

If your home country is India. I have read info about ppl who have taken oath ceremony outside of Canada and also got their Canadian passport issued in India through Canadian high commission in New Delhi. You can surrender your Indian passport at FRRO office in delhi and apply for Entry visa from within India, provided you do it within 14 days of getting your Canadian citizenship. I am in India and I am planning to take the same path once I get my citizenship oath date.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
If your home country is India. I have read info about ppl who have taken oath ceremony outside of Canada and also got their Canadian passport issued in India through Canadian high commission in New Delhi. You can surrender your Indian passport at FRRO office in delhi and apply for Entry visa from within India, provided you do it within 14 days of getting your Canadian citizenship. I am in India and I am planning to take the same path once I get my citizenship oath date.
Approval to do oath outside Canada happens in extreme case. It's not the norm.

Reactions: doseoffaith

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Do us all a favour next time do some research before posting.
Being allowed to take the oath from outside of Canada is extremely rare and it does not matter if your India or another country

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
We will look forward to an update from you. It will help a lot of applicants. If you can share links of where you have read about this, it would be great.

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Someone can manufacture extremely compelling reasons with impeccably accurate, albeit forged, proof for anything necessary, incl. taking oath from outside Canada. The question is however, how creative and resourceful you are.

In other words, don't do it, please.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Someone can manufacture extremely compelling reasons with impeccably accurate, albeit forged, proof for anything necessary, incl. taking oath from outside Canada. The question is however, how creative and resourceful you are.

In other words, don't do it, please.
How they know whether or not you're in Canada?

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
How they know whether or not you're in Canada?
Does not matter how will they get to know. They are trusting you when they ask and you tell them that you are in Canada.
They can revoke your citizenship if they see you were involved in fraud later.