+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

keeping permanent residence if we have not yet lived in Canada

AlisonHyde

Feb 16, 2013
We have given permanent residence in Canada.
The passport stamp expires end June 2013.
We do not yet live in Canada nor have we ever yet, so have no links there (address/schools/tax...anything)
We have obligations in our present country that keep us from being able to settle by end June.
We will be in Canada for 3 weeks in April.
We will then need to leave and return at a later date.
Can we apply for a permanent residence card without proof of setting up our lives in Canada?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can enter Canada sufficiently before the expiry date of the PR visa, shown in your passport and COPR. Up on arriving at the port of entry, with a brief interview, the CBSA will complete your "landing" formalities which includes the PR Card application automatically. You have to do nothing. As you have no address in Canada, tell the officer that your Canadian address and contact number will be informed to CIC at a later date. So, your PR card will be on hold with CIC.

In order to re-enter Canada you need the PR Card. In lieu of the PR Card, for re-entry, you should apply for a travel document at the Canadian Mission in the country where you are, which is explained here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

allaboutbooks

Feb 6, 2013
what is the passport stamp ? do i need it so i can enter canada ?? ido have a valid pr card and i have a Jordanian passport ? what do what will they ask about in the airport when i land ??