+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

just want to ask on how to obtain a canadian citizenship...

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
i first got here in canada last december 2009...ive worked for like 4 companys now by using lmo or as we call it now Lmia...i applied for permanent residency last MaY 2016 and got my permanent residency approved last December...so in total ive been living and working for 7 years now here in albert canada...my question is when can i apply for citizenship? do i need to wait for another 2 years without living the country? any advise would be apreciated...thank you...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As of now, time spent living in Canada before PR can't be counted towards citizenship - only time after becoming a PR. Also, currently the residency requirement is four years out of the last six. So the earliest you'd be able to apply under the current rules is May 2020.

The rules are expected to change next years. However you will still only be able to count so much pre-PR time towards citizenship. So yes - assuming the rules change next year and assuming you don't leave Canada - the earliest you'll probably qualify is May 2018.

Canada...canada

Aug 21, 2016
hi sycilia thank you for your reply...at least now i already have some idea about it..and also where can i get information about the changes if there is on the next years? thank you

3bdcanada

Mar 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-Feb-2015
scylla said:
As of now, time spent living in Canada before PR can't be counted towards citizenship - only time after becoming a PR. Also, currently the residency requirement is four years out of the last six. So the earliest you'd be able to apply under the current rules is May 2020.

The rules are expected to change next years. However you will still only be able to count so much pre-PR time towards citizenship. So yes - assuming the rules change next year and assuming you don't leave Canada - the earliest you'll probably qualify is May 2018.
the PR was approved on December 2016. So i think it will be either Dec 2018 or Dec 2020.

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada...canada said:
do i need to wait for another 2 years without living the country?
You do have to wait, but you can leave the country for short periods of time if you want. Just know that any time spent outside the country counts against the total days you must have to apply, and you can't spend more than 183 days outside Canada in any given year - which is half a year. So, if you want to leave on vacation, or to visit your family for a few weeks, it's fine. This will push your application day a little further, but it's allowed as long as you are residing in the country.

That said, as the other people here posted, you have a long way to go until being ready to apply. In the meantime, I advise you to keep record of your travels outside Canada, as you'll need this information when the time come for you to apply.

Gallant555

Star Member
Aug 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Nov1,2010
Med's Done....
Nov8,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June9,2011
LANDED..........
June17,2011
Hi Canada...canada,

Please check out physical presence calculator and apply right way if you qualify.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do