+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just starting my journey and I need help.

Botts.emilym

Feb 19, 2018
Louisville
Hello!

I have decided to move to Canada. I am bringing with me my son and my mother. I have no idea where to start. It’s all a little overwhelming. I was hoping someone could help me through the process. Thank you!

Emily B

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I have decided to move to Canada. I am bringing with me my son and my mother. I have no idea where to start. It’s all a little overwhelming. I was hoping someone could help me through the process. Thank you!

Emily B
You can include your son as a dependent provided he is under 22 years old. You cannot however include your mother in your application. Parents are not classified as dependents and cannot be included in PR applications.

Canada has many different immigration programs each with their own requirements. You're going to have to spend quite some time researching to see what the requirements are, if you qualify and what you need to do to apply. Details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello!

Emily B
How are you intending to immigrate here?

You can't just decide to move to Canada, you must first qualify under a specific immigration stream and then be accepted for PR status. Most immigration streams are economic based meaning you must have specific education/skilled work experience that Canada is looking for.

As mentioned above, only spouses and dependent children aged 21 and under can be included in any application you submitted.

Your mom could come as a visitor only, depending what country she's from and how easy/hard it is to visit Canada. In the future you may be able to sponsor her for PR, but parents sponsorship is lottery based so there is no guarantee you will ever qualify. As a visitor, at some point your mom will need to leave, so if living with her the rest of your life is important then you seriously need to re-think your plan of moving to Canada.