+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just some questions about spousal sponsorship!

escnor

Mar 29, 2023
Hey guys, my husband has a South African passport (but raised and has lived in New Zealand) and I’m a status Indian of Canada. We actually met on Vrchat and have been together almost 5 years now. We got married 2 years ago and my dad has offered to pay the spousal fees for us! So I have a few questions.

Is this easier to do with a representative? Like a lawyer or something? Or is it something we can do on our own? I’m already overwhelmed so some guidance would be nice but family lawyers here are charging around 8K for it. Is there any other route to go with getting assistance https://1921681001.id/ ?

Also, I’d love to read some success stories. I find myself feeling very down about all of this. I just want to be able to live with my husband in Canada!! Haha.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. Any insight or tips at all is a gift for me at this moment in time!

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, my husband has a South African passport (but raised and has lived in New Zealand) and I’m a status Indian of Canada. We actually met on Vrchat and have been together almost 5 years now. We got married 2 years ago and my dad has offered to pay the spousal fees for us! So I have a few questions.

Is this easier to do with a representative? Like a lawyer or something? Or is it something we can do on our own? I’m already overwhelmed so some guidance would be nice but family lawyers here are charging around 8K for it. Is there any other route to go with getting assistance?

Also, I’d love to read some success stories. I find myself feeling very down about all of this. I just want to be able to live with my husband in Canada!! Haha.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. Any insight or tips at all is a gift for me at this moment in time!
Best to ask this question in the Family Class Sponsorship forum.

You can do this yourself, with the help of those of us that have `lived through' the process. LOL!

Have the two of you lived together [anywhere] since you were married?

How often do you visit each other?

Answering `no' to those two questions does NOT mean that your application will automatically be denied, but it would likely mean that you'd have to explain the reasons why those answers were no, to help convince IRCC that your relationship and marriage are genuine..

You can submit an Outland Spousal Sponsorship application right away, or if he can `visit' you in Canada, you can submit an Inland application.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, my husband has a South African passport (but raised and has lived in New Zealand) and I’m a status Indian of Canada.
Completely unrelated to your question, but...are you aware that because of your First Nations status, you can [in theory] live and work in the U.S. without having to do much, as long as your Aboriginal blood quantum is 50% or more?
I know..."Yeah, but I don't want to live there!" LOL!

https://sencanada.ca/content/sen/committee/421/APPA/Reports/APPA-JayTreatyReport_e.pdf

Consequently, currently when entering Canada, First Nations are subject to the same requirements as all other individuals. Individuals may enter Canada by right to live and work if they are Canadian citizens or have Indian Status in Canada. For other individuals, including Native Americans in the United States, the right to enter Canada is not automatic.

The requirements are different for First Nations entering the United States. With the appropriate documentation, First Nations who are born in Canada but who do not hold American citizenship are permitted to freely enter the United States by right for the purposes of employment, study, retirement, investing, and/or immigration. First Nations must prove that they have 50% Aboriginal blood quantum to enter the United States on this basis.

This is not available to a Native American from the U.S., seeking entry into Canada because of the War of 1812...and the fact that Canada never signed the Treaty.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have the time and patience and want to save money you can do it yourself. You can pay a consultant but it still is pretty expensive. You also have the option to fill it out yourself and pay to have someone review the completed application. Unfortunately we see lawyers and consultants make mistakes when filling out applications so you should always review your application if someone is filling out the application for you.

If you have been living abroad you will need to prove that you will be returning to Canada once your spouse has been approved for PR.