+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just realized a mistake in my application - should I re-submit?

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi guys,

I just realized a mistake I made on my application -

my eligibility period was 09-feb-2018 to 09-feb-2013.

But I only moved to Canada in April 2013, so I only included my address and work experience from may forward, so the months of February and March have no information.

My application arrived today, should I re-submit? Is it possible to use the same receipt? :(

Let me know what you guys think...

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Your application will be returned.
So, if you don't want to wait one or 2 months for no reason...

And yes, you can use the same receipt, and include a letter explaining that you already submitted one application that they should disregard.

Reactions: Micbm

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Your application will be returned.
So, if you don't want to wait one or 2 months for no reason...

And yes, you can use the same receipt, and include a letter explaining that you already submitted one application that they should disregard.
Thank you very much for the clarification - the silver lining is that I can reuse my receipt fee that saves some money.

On my second application should I then check the box "did you apply for citizenship before?"

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I don't know honestly. Maybe they ask about an application that has been processed, refused, withdrawn... No idea. But I would put a yes there. The explanation letter should explain that answer.
You may want to wait for an answer from some more experienced members :)

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the clarification - the silver lining is that I can reuse my receipt fee that saves some money.

On my second application should I then check the box "did you apply for citizenship before?"
Check "No".... that question does not apply to you.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
if time is not a constraint, then wait for application to be returned. if you dont have immediate travel plans where you need a Canada passport and dont have any plan to apply for jobs that need citizenship, then you can consider this approach. Why? you may have made some other mistake and if you wait, you can catch all mistakes and send a correct 2nd application. also, overall there is less confusion. one other reason I say that, there is a good chance that you will get AOR as its just a 2 month period. if you happen to get AOR, you might later do the correction via web form resulting in no lost time.

if you think waiting for returned application is not the good route for you and you need your citizenship sooner, then I suggest writing a cover letter explaining the situation and keep it as the first page. also make sure to double check the application. you dont want this application to be returned for some other cause.check no for applied before.

all the best.

Reactions: Micbm

TUD

Aug 17, 2016
Hi

I landed as PR in May 2013 .I am now applying for citizenship. My eligibility period would begin from May 2013 to Feb 15 ,2018 or it should be Feb 15 , 2013 to Feb 15, 2018

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi

I landed as PR in May 2013 .I am now applying for citizenship. My eligibility period would begin from May 2013 to Feb 15 ,2018 or it should be Feb 15 , 2013 to Feb 15, 2018
visit the online physical presence calculator and plug in the dates, it will give you your eligibility period exactly. it should be from mar 2013 if you are planning to sign now.

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi guys,

Just an update - I received my AOR even though I missed these two months!! I'm shocked... I was 100% ready to re-apply.

Should I submit a case with the information for these two months?

cheers

TUD

Aug 17, 2016
Hi

I got AOR for my citizenship application. What is next step. Can i check my application status online.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi guys,

Just an update - I received my AOR even though I missed these two months!! I'm shocked... I was 100% ready to re-apply.

Should I submit a case with the information for these two months?

cheers
I can't tell you what you should do.

If this was my application I would try to update my file, so that when it is reviewed at the local office they have all the information they expect. I don't know if that is the right choice.

If you do choose to update your file:
You can use the web form to add the missing information, now that you'll be able to use the online tools.
You may also be able to add the missing information by calling IRCC and asking the agent to update your file.
Or you can send a letter with the necessary information to the case processing center (with the application number etc) asking them to add that letter to your file.