+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just photocopies or certified true copies!!!

Nov 1, 2011
Hello all,

I am planning to submit my PR application shortly..i was just concerned about one piece of info :

for education, work experience, civil status documents and other documents that we are suppose to send photo copies (not originals) , do these need to be certified true copies by a notary with the particular message in it as per IMM5609

is it mandatory to have it certified with the text printed on it , please advice. thanks

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prashanthmanae said:
Hello all,

I am planning to submit my PR application shortly..i was just concerned about one piece of info :

for education, work experience, civil status documents and other documents that we are suppose to send photo copies (not originals) , do these need to be certified true copies by a notary with the particular message in it as per IMM5609

is it mandatory to have it certified with the text printed on it , please advice. thanks
not required.just photocopies are enough.

whymeee

Apr 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Photocopies, as long as original documents are in English.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
I will have to get some documents, e.g. doc of a name change translated. In that case,
do I submit copies of the doc in the original language and the translated version? Or translated only?
Does one of those copies have to be certified?
The translation service I use always attaches a copy of the original document with the translated verison,
plus a stamp stating that the content of the two documents is the same.

nitz

Apr 15, 2013
See check list IMM5610E

Other then PCC and IELTS nothing original goes only photo copies.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Yes, saw that. But I'm not sure about translated documents. Because in the How To-Guide it says
that translated documents have to submitted accompanied by certified copies.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
For any translated document, you need:

1. ORIGINAL - of the English/French translation
2. Certified copy - of the original language document
(3. Translator's affidavit (by definition, notarized).

Item 3 can be omitted if the translation is done by a certified translator who is a member of a Canadian/Provincial translators association - you can find certified translators on the association websites (e.g. Ontario Translators and Interpretors Association, ATIO, http://www.atio.on.ca - just google "PROVINCE NAME" and "Translator's association" and you'll find it...)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
So in my case I have a document showing a name change in German language. I have to include
it in my CEC application so I get that one translated and submit it together with a certified copy
of the original document in German?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any document not in English or French should be translated and translation certified. (make a certified cope of 'foreign" document, get a translation of it and certify that translation-- a certified copy and translation will be sawn together), then MAKE A COPY of that translation and send to CIC or VO. You do not need to send the original certified translation! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Regina said:
then MAKE A COPY of that translation and send to CIC or VO. You do not need to send the original certified translation! :)
From the document checklist -
"if your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the original one."

A photocopy of notarized document is not the same thing as a notarized document. I don't really know how strict CIC is with this, do you really want to risk it?

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
jes_ON said:
For any translated document, you need:

1. ORIGINAL - of the English/French translation
2. Certified copy - of the original language document
(3. Translator's affidavit (by definition, notarized).

Item 3 can be omitted if the translation is done by a certified translator who is a member of a Canadian/Provincial translators association - you can find certified translators on the association websites (e.g. Ontario Translators and Interpretors Association, ATIO, http://www.atio.on.ca - just google "PROVINCE NAME" and "Translator's association" and you'll find it...)

Jes_on is 100% right! And not just for PR purposes, for any documents to be translated for official purposes, these steps need to be followed.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"if your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the original one."
Please provide a link. Because here, for example, where they say "A COPY" in the "Format" column you may send "a Xerox copy of certified copy": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.pdf

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Regina said:
Please provide a link. Because here, for example, where they say "A COPY" in the "Format" column you may send "a Xerox copy of certified copy": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.pdf
Third paragraph from the top of the document checklist.

As for the "Format" column, that assumes the documents are in English/French.