+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just noticed CRA profile says I'm single, when I've been married for 3 years...

filosofer

Feb 6, 2013
I *randomly* signed into my CRA account (haven't checked it after filing my taxes last year). And got the shock of my life, when I saw that my marital status is "single", even though I've been happily married for nearly 3 years!

I called CRA and they said H&R Block made a mistake when filing my tax for 2016. I can't even change this status online in my CRA account...the agent said I need to mail a letter to Sudbury Tax Centre.

Will this impact my citizenship interview? My test is tomorrow, and I just realized this!

Do I need to bring my marriage certificate to the interview?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't see how this will impact your citizenship application.

However assume there may be impact to your taxes and it's possible you may end up owing extra $$$.

Reactions: bringiton

perlsteve

Oct 10, 2017
I don't see how this will impact your citizenship application.

However assume there may be impact to your taxes and it's possible you may end up owing extra $$$.
Alternatively, there may be benefits to filing as married (transfer of certain credits, etc.) It's worth getting fixed and going back through returns to see if adjustments can/need to be made.

For IRCC the requirement is "taxes filed for 3 years" - they do not interpret the Income Tax Act, nor do they scrutinize returns. It's a simple yes/no requirement.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I *randomly* signed into my CRA account (haven't checked it after filing my taxes last year). And got the shock of my life, when I saw that my marital status is "single", even though I've been happily married for nearly 3 years!

I called CRA and they said H&R Block made a mistake when filing my tax for 2016. I can't even change this status online in my CRA account...the agent said I need to mail a letter to Sudbury Tax Centre.

Will this impact my citizenship interview? My test is tomorrow, and I just realized this!

It will not effect your interview, its a geniune error. Do not bring it up in the interview, unless the officer specifically asks. Also just in case take your marriage certificate with you.

Also, note that no where in citizenship application it is asked about marital status.

On the other hand, contact HR block and resubmit your amended returns. Normally, married people have more non-refundable tax credits, so based on your scenario you may be able to get some extra refund back from CRA.

Last edited:

filosofer

Feb 6, 2013
Thank you for the replies! I'll reach out to H&R Block.

I was wondering more so from the perspective that I indicated that I am married in my citizenship application (obviously), but obviously the latest CRA record would indicate I'm single. Just hope this doesn't raise needless questions!

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Dont mention in the interview. But I'll suggest you keep all the documentation from now on. Documentation that you have tried to get this error corrected. Your emails to H&R and their reply. If in future, you are caught by IRCC for fraudulent representation (small chance), you can show them that it was mistake and not fraud. All the best.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you declare your marriage to IRCC you're fine, this won't have any impact. You may want to update it with the CRA though. You can do this over the phone or using the online portal.

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
As long as you declare your marriage to IRCC you're fine, this won't have any impact. You may want to update it with the CRA though. You can do this over the phone or using the online portal.
Where do we have to declare marriage to ircc on the application? I didnt see that anywhere.

Reactions: Afarp

filosofer

Feb 6, 2013
Couldn't do it through the portal or phone. The "effective date" my marital status was "single" was on Dec 31, 2016. As my marriage was BEFORE this date, I couldn't update it. This CRA website is a joke.

And then the agent said I have to write and mail a letter to the Sudbury Tax Centre, and there is no way he could update my status on the phone (or through email). It's pathetic.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the application form didn't ask - you're fine!
Couldn't do it through the portal or phone. The "effective date" my marital status was "single" was on Dec 31, 2016. As my marriage was BEFORE this date, I couldn't update it. This CRA website is a joke.

And then the agent said I have to write and mail a letter to the Sudbury Tax Centre, and there is no way he could update my status on the phone (or through email). It's pathetic.
The worst case here is you would receive a reassessment if you have been claiming large tax credits that you weren't entitled to. I doubt this is the case. Chances are, the CRA may owe you a few dollars. The only requirement for the citizenship application is that you have filled your taxes, which you have. So relax - you're fine.

Reactions: amitdi

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
If the application form didn't ask - you're fine!

The worst case here is you would receive a reassessment if you have been claiming large tax credits that you weren't entitled to. I doubt this is the case. Chances are, the CRA may owe you a few dollars. The only requirement for the citizenship application is that you have filled your taxes, which you have. So relax - you're fine.
The $$$ amount may largely depend on whether OP's spouse was working or not. But thats not your immediate concern right now. Any news on how the test/ interview went?

Afarp

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018

The only thing IRCC need to check if you filed income tax or

agshaheryar

May 24, 2012
Faisalabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
AOR Received.
24-12-2009
IELTS Request
Sent with Full Docs
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
16-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 01-11-2012 & PPR2 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2012
LANDED..........
April 02, 2013
Where do we have to declare marriage to ircc on the application? I didnt see that anywhere.
There is no such thing on the Application. You register your marriage if done after immigration. Every year on Tax return you provide information about your Marital Status and you give your information to service Canada.