+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just married sponsoring wife

clement52

Jan 30, 2019
recently got married in the Philippines to my longtime girlfriend on October 1, 2018, and left for Canada on the forth leaving her behind. when I got home a.i contacted an immigration legal we started the spousal application and PR application but seems the lawyer is holding back because we haven't been married long. Is being married a year a rule in the application.i was in Philippines 3 weeks preparing for the wedding.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
recently got married in the Philippines to my longtime girlfriend on October 1, 2018, and left for Canada on the forth leaving her behind. when I got home a.i contacted an immigration legal we started the spousal application and PR application but seems the lawyer is holding back because we haven't been married long. Is being married a year a rule in the application.i was in Philippines 3 weeks preparing for the wedding.
1) ditch the lawyer
2) it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been married before you apply

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018

No......many of us have been married under a year when applied.

Torablack

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Anymore input
Harass them until they starting working on your application. You can even go as far to say that you will make a complaint regarding their avoidance in not starting your application.

The lawyer we obtain was swift and everything was done, completed and sent within a month

clement52

Jan 30, 2019
Harass them until they starting working on your application. You can even go as far to say that you will make a complaint regarding their avoidance in not starting your application.

The lawyer we obtain was swift and everything was done, completed and sent within a month
He is going to the philippines in mid march so he will meet with her in person to complete the documents and bring them back with him instead of courier , so i have to wait that long anyway.We started this process in late october.we have most of our documents gather and most of mine are sent to him in toronto for review, but he hasnt done it.I dont want to upset him and lose my money.My beef is why did he say i needed to be married a year....

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
You've been waiting 6 months already! Holy :( he didn't need to meet with her, to do the paperwork, it would have been fine a long time ago. The sponsorship itself takes a year or so. You still have a long road ahead of you

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Most people on here apply for sponsorship a month or so after marriage. Your lawyer lied to you. Maybe he thinks being married for a year before applying makes for a stronger case but since you and your gf were together for a long time already, it really wasn't necessary in my opinion. Seems like he just wasted 6 months of your time. :( Sorry for your luck

Reactions: clement52

clement52

Jan 30, 2019
Most people on here apply for sponsorship a month or so after marriage. Your lawyer lied to you. Maybe he thinks being married for a year before applying makes for a stronger case but since you and your GF were together for a long time already, it really wasn't necessary for my opinion. Seems like he just wasted 6 months of your time. :( Sorry for your luck
He s going for vacation so he figured its better to do it in person

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
He s going for vacation so he figured its better to do it in person
Seems like your Lawyer is dragging this out so they get paid more. There are many immigration lawyers about like that. It's a pity you can't ditch them because they don't sound very good. A courier would probably have been much quicker than waiting for them to go on vacation. Sheesh, they have some nerve doing that!

Reactions: garbimba

Torablack

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
He is going to the philippines in mid march so he will meet with her in person to complete the documents and bring them back with him instead of courier , so i have to wait that long anyway.We started this process in late october.we have most of our documents gather and most of mine are sent to him in toronto for review, but he hasnt done it.I dont want to upset him and lose my money.My beef is why did he say i needed to be married a year....
This sounds like a shady consultant not a lawyer...well if you don't want to speak up then how can we really help? 6 months of wasted time is A LOT as from what I seen from outbound app espcially from the Philippans, they are landing in Canada on a 7-8 months timeframe. I wish you all the best my friend!

paint.thinner

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2014
Nomination.....
November 2014
AOR Received.
January 2015
Med's Request
November 2015
Med's Done....
November 2015
Passport Req..
December 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 2015
shady consultant
I hate such shady consultants. @clement52 how much did you pay? Try to talk to him (strongly) and tell him that you will get the documents signed by your wife and get her to courier them over. Tell him that you guys have dated for a long time so being married for a year doesn't make a difference. Tell him long distance s*cks and there's no point in waiting and trying to save some money on courier. If you have dated for a long time and if you have enough evidence to prove that (like chat logs and photos), there's really no point in waiting. I am so pissed at your consultant right now...

Reactions: russ6970

clement52

Jan 30, 2019
Seems like your Lawyer is dragging this out so they get paid more. There are many immigration lawyers about like that. It's a pity you can't ditch them because they don't sound very good. A courier would probably have been much quicker than waiting for them to go on vacation. Sheesh, they have some nerve doing that!
Fee is already set