+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Graduated but Out of Status and Applying for PGWP; What Should I Restore Status As?

LBKLG

Oct 26, 2019
Hello I just graduated recently and am out of status unfortunately.

I read about a new rule that I can apply for PGWP without a valid study permit. However I have a gap.

Timeline:

30 July - study permit due to expire, need one more month to complete co-op work term (30 Aug)
25 July - applied to extend study permit for work term (implied status should be applied after 30 July)
03 September - allowed to graduate from school
18 September - received refusal notification due to wrong document submitted
26 September - submitted new application to restore student status (not processed yet)
25 October - submitted new application for PGWP with restoration as worker

---

I called CIC and the officer told me that I can apply for the PGWP and restore my status as a worker directly. Thus I submitted the new application yesterday. I intend to withdraw the one on 26 September.

However the 25 October submission has one minor issue:

However when I try to upload the form IMM5710 to the CIC, I keep on getting the following error: "Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form."

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. There were no relevant options in the questionnaire that I could change.

So I unchecked "Restore my status as a worker" in Question 3 and the form could upload properly. I made sure to mention that on my explanation letter that I had to leave it unchecked in order for the form to be accepted and uploaded, and that I want to restore my status.

For Question 3 ("I am applying for one or more of the following:") of the form, I have checked the following box only:
  • Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
As well in Question 7, under the Status section I left it as "Other" and Other section I said "Out of status, need restoration". The dates were left blank. This was done according to Question 7 of Personal Details section in Guide 5580.

I'm not sure what else I could've done differently to fix this error.

---

I've also been reading various threads and as this is a new rule, I'm not sure if I should still submit separate applications to restore status as a student, and as a visitor, just to cover all my bases.

Any help please would be appreciated. Thank you!

LBKLG

Oct 26, 2019
You can’t restore your status to worker only visitor.
Hey thank you! So should I submit another application form to restore status as visitor? I've already paid the $200.

Also the "restore as worker" was said to me by the officer via phone. He said it's a new rule introduced in February such that I can submit a PGWP application and the officer may then restore my status (to what I don't know, since I've already convocated), and then process my PGWP application which would give me worker status.

Cheers!

ShreyanshS

Jan 12, 2020
Hey thank you! So should I submit another application form to restore status as visitor? I've already paid the $200.

Also the "restore as worker" was said to me by the officer via phone. He said it's a new rule introduced in February such that I can submit a PGWP application and the officer may then restore my status (to what I don't know, since I've already convocated), and then process my PGWP application which would give me worker status.

Cheers!
I'm in the same situation..
Study permit expired on : Aug 31, 2019
Applied for PGWP on : July 24, 2019
Refusal for PGWP on : Oct 21, 2019 (Unsuccessful submission of educational transcripts)

Applied for restoration of status as worker and also applied for PGWP on Nov 5, 2019. (Paid 605$ fees) : Awaited decision

I've gone through a lot of discussion posts but there isn't a clear answer to it. Some say status needs to be restored to student in able to obtain PGWP and some say as you don't intend to study anymore, what I've done is correct (IMM5710). I called CIC, talked to program analyst who deals with the office that processes the application and said that the form I've filled is correct. I also asked if that's the must accurate information, she said yes.

ShreyanshS

Jan 12, 2020

Cheers!
Did you get any decision on your application?

LBKLG

Oct 26, 2019
Did you get any decision on your application?
I just got my PGWP in the mail yesterday, along with a restored study permit and co-op work permit (so 3 documents total). Both the study and co-op work permit said something like status restored on them.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: DrowningRhino

DrowningRhino

Sep 29, 2020
I just got my PGWP in the mail yesterday, along with a restored study permit and co-op work permit (so 3 documents total). Both the study and co-op work permit said something like status restored on them.

Hope this helps!
That's really good to hear. I'm on a similar boat. Thank you so much for sharing your process and your story!

Macaroon

Aug 19, 2022

Hope this helps!
Hi, while you were applying for restoration of your study permit, what forms are needed? My PGWP was rejected and my study permit is now expired.. There is no clear explanation about what kinds of documents were needed for restoration of study permit if you are already graduated.