Passport Req..
2nd visa issuance June 5,2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
prof456 said:
I did not quite get you.

I'm assuming you are applying for an OWP which is different from your PR application...that's 2 separate applications in process.

The point I was trying to make is when you get your OWP approved, you can apply for a TRV and go to Nigeria to get married (assuming you have a US Visa) and then update your PR application. I should have asked, under what category are you applying?

Yes i have 2 applications in process. I applied under the LCP and once you applied for PR,you have to apply for an OWP too. The OWP comes with the approval in principle,so my question is .....is it possible for me to apply for a visa and travel to nigeria when i have my AIP ?

Thanx.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bobshynoswife said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Start documenting everything you can now, and start calling from a mobile or landline that has itemized phone bills.

I know the stories about Accra are scary. I have a 2 year relationship that is completely genuine. I have visited him 7 times when he lived in London, and once in Nigeria where we were married. We have phone and skype logs showing 3 hours a day communication for the past 2 years. We have nearly a hundred postcards and letters, we have daily emails, thousands of text messages, hundreds of photos together, letters from his family and my family, gifts (some expensive, like a lap-top and an iPad) with receipts, receipts from hotels we have stayed at, screen caps of him talking to my kids on skype, and talking to my friends. Screen caps of all the congratulations messages on Facebook, emails between his family and me, and my family and him....
This sounds like an application that will be approved, even in Accra.

dnice

Nov 14, 2008
Sponsoring for sure is quite a process. There are two things that make it arduous.
The wait, and the lack of regular updates. However, I think the following points might help.
1. Take your time with the applications, don't rush it, avoid mistakes, contradictions, and lies(too much lies will likely result in refusal, imagine an IO officer going through hundreds of applications, their focus is to catch contradictions and lies. So the application must be consistent, for both partners.
2. As mentioned, as many supporting evidence as possible. My take on this is that, a consistent application with supporting evidence, could leave very little doubt in the mind of IO, and hence you **likely** will be waived for an interview.
3. Here is the important point, BE READY FOR AN INTERVIEW, and start preparation early with your spouse. Not sure what the stats is for Ghana, but I think that there is an 8 out of 10 chance for an interview regardless of supporting evidence, and DEFINITELY If you are lacking enough evidence. The interview is important, and for a genuine application could result in refusal if you don't know for example what the name of the city your spouse live in or what his/her job title is or you simply forgot his/her birthday etc etc.

My advice will be to take it seriously, and leave no stone unturned regardless on whether you have lots of supporting evidence or not. Funny enough, sometimes if someone is called for an interview, they might not ask for too much supporting evidence during the interview. They got straight to the point, and just try to determine the authenticity of the relationship, using technique not unlike those used by interrogators, hence lies could be unfolded in the process.

Good luck to all!

judon

Apr 28, 2010
This forum is a very good place to get ideas and then prepare the necessary documents.

I am wondering as a Nigerian living and got married in Thailand,applying from Singapore.does it make a difference?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
^^^^^^^^^^ As long as you have legal status in Singapore, it's faster to apply there. The processing time in Singapore is approx 5-14 months vs 10-20 months in Accra.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im another Nigerian. I dont have as much evidence as bobshynoswife. My application was sent in Feb 17. It was approved in March 19 and sent to Accra. Accra got my application on April 20 and is still reviewing my application.

I dated my husband for 1.5 years before marying him. I went to Nigeria to visit him 2 times plus 1 time for the wedding. There were lots of people for both our traditional and court wedding. We also had pictures of the time we were dating. We had around 50 -80 pictures (cant remember). We had some facebook messages that we wrote on each others facebook and I printed this out. We also had some emails through facebook and through our yahoo email account. I also printed this out. We went to Dubai for our honeymoon and I printed this picture out. Unfortunately I didnt include the bill for that (I have it but it skipped my mind). However we had proof from both our passport that we were in Dubai at the same time. I believe going outside the country together is great idea and I hope it will help our application. Our honeymoon was 4 days. I had never used my phone to call him directly. But I had phone evidence that I call a phone card number everytime. I also have his daily text messages and submited it. We were able to get his phone log from MTN Nigeria. You will need to pay for this but a phone log of your calls to him is available.

Bobshynoswife. Your application sounds like it will definately be approved in as little time

We are still waiting for results but I hope our application is successful.

I wouldnt really advice that having a baby will make the process easier unless it happens naturally. My family friend had a baby and she had to go through extra hurdles because of the baby. There was a time they requested pictures of when she was pregnant and when you do the DNA testing, it takes a while for you to get results of the test. Plus, you will need to wait to deliver your baby before the test.

I hope we will continue this thread to support each other through the long process.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to let you all know we recieved a notice that my husband should come to Ghana to pick up his Visa. No interview was requested. The whole process took altogether 4months and 3 weeks (Application submited Feb 18). I wonder what we should expect while in Ghana. They said we will update our family information as well as bring 2 photographs for the PR card. Thanks for all your support.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
RN - Congratulations!!!

You are the first person I have heard of who has had the interview waived in Ghana. I am thrilled that it all went in your favour and in such short a time.

My husband has an interview on Aug 24. We are praying it all goes well.

Best wishes to you and your husband!

Laura

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Am quite surprised too especially because we only started dating september 2008 and got married Jan 2, 2010. A great pleasant surprise. I must say that their is no certainty yet. The email reads "YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA(S) APPEAR READY TO BE ISSUED, IF THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE IN YOUR FAMILY CONFIGURATON". Im thinking now of going with him their as I am currently with him in Nigeria. Im trying not to slack off until we get it. What do you guys think.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Oh, you should definitely go! You need to celebrate with him in person! Since there has been no change in your family (no child born, you didn't get divorced, etc) he will get his visa.

From what I know, you should go to the High Commission early in the day, and then will return later in the day to pick up the passport. Accra is a fantastic city, and the CHC is right near 'Oxford St' which has some good shopping. Or go to the beach, they are beautiful there!

Aero Contractors has return flights to Accra from Lagos for 27,000 naira. My husband booked his flight today for his interview next month.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Congratulations on getting the visa so fast! Accra is picking up speed.
bobshynoswife said:
Accra is a fantastic city, and the CHC is right near 'Oxford St' which has some good shopping. Or go to the beach, they are beautiful there!

Aero Contractors has return flights to Accra from Lagos for 27,000 naira. My husband booked his flight today for his interview next month.
Or you can take the bus trip from hell, as I and my husband did - twice. 16 hours Lagos to Accra, crossing 3 borders. Accra's a nice town though.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Bobs, I will definately go. Yes, we are told to be there by 8am. We will probably be going by AERO. Yes, Canadian woman, My husband also suggested the bus trip from hell. But there is no way Im doing that. Flying is better. I was wondering, which hotel in Accra is close to the Canadian visa place in Accra (and is cheap) or where did you guys stay. If you have their address or number, that will be fabulous.