+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got married, now what?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I apologize if I broke any protocol by posting my my comments as a new topic.

I am just anxious about my application for my wife. Just got married last month in Bangladesh. Came back to Canada where I am a PR. I am hearing conflicting news about processing time. Some are saying nothing will happen before 18 months have passed. Is this true?

It's a first marriage for both of us. I plan to send everything together in the Missisauga office. My wife's application probably will be sent to Singapore.

If anyone can share their recent experience or have any comment in this regard, I would really appreciate it.

pinder123

May 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
03-09-2012
AOR Received.
26/06/2012
File Transfer...
26/06/2012
Med's Done....
10-02-2012
Interview........
29-10-2012
Passport Req..
13-07-2012
ummm 18 months??? I don't know anything about that news but I will file the paperwork as soon as possible....after you submit you spousal application to Missisauga its 91 days for stage 1 approval and Check on cic.gc.ca what is your Visa office timeline......

veradis

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-11
AOR Received.
08-11-11
File Transfer...
20-11-11
Interview........
23-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2012
LANDED..........
18-08-12
I know nothing about Bangladesh so don't have any advice. But good luck! 18 months is a long wait, I feel for you!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try the Singapore thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/singapore-timeline-t28993.3600.html

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
goodman36 said:
I apologize if I broke any protocol by posting my my comments as a new topic.

I am just anxious about my application for my wife. Just got married last month in Bangladesh. Came back to Canada where I am a PR. I am hearing conflicting news about processing time. Some are saying nothing will happen before 18 months have passed. Is this true?

It's a first marriage for both of us. I plan to send everything together in the Missisauga office. My wife's application probably will be sent to Singapore.

If anyone can share their recent experience or have any comment in this regard, I would really appreciate it.
The Singapore office currently reports completing 80% of applications in 21 months. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp)

According to the Open Data Project (http://www.data.gc.ca) the Singapore Regional Processing Centre (Singapore-RPC) processes Spouse & Partner (without Children) class family applications as 20% in 7 months, 50% in 14 months, and 80% in 20 months, for the year ending 31 March 2012.

So, focus on making sure EVERYTHING they need is in your application so you can be one of the 20%...

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Pinder123, Veradis, Scylla and Computergeek.

May I ask, how I can make sure that I can be in the 20% for Singapore -RPC?

My employment history is not that great, although I am employed at present and got a Job Letter from the Employer which I am attaching. Do I still need to include Option-C Printour from CRA? Also, my wife works full time in a multi national company in the home country. She got a job letter too. Should I include that too, even though they don't ask for it?

Since we are married less then a month, I am attaching a few pages of chat history. Is more required?

Sorry to ask so many question. I am just feeling lonely without her :(

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
goodman36 said:
Thank you Pinder123, Veradis, Scylla and Computergeek.

May I ask, how I can make sure that I can be in the 20% for Singapore -RPC?

My employment history is not that great, although I am employed at present and got a Job Letter from the Employer which I am attaching. Do I still need to include Option-C Printour from CRA? Also, my wife works full time in a multi national company in the home country. She got a job letter too. Should I include that too, even though they don't ask for it?

Since we are married less then a month, I am attaching a few pages of chat history. Is more required?

Sorry to ask so many question. I am just feeling lonely without her :(
The point is not you (your approval should be granted within 3-4 months) but your wife (and your relationship). The visa office will be primarily concerned with the legitimacy of your relationship and your wife's own background. Assuming she has no criminal record, there shouldn't be much of a hold-up. While it isn't necessary, being able to show that she has skills that can be employed in Canada is certainly useful. If her employer is willing to offer her a position in Canada, I'd include them although there's technically no reason to do so.

Your emphasis should be on your relationship. The reason that there is a long delay is likely because the visa office sees a significant number of questionable relationships (the dreaded "marriage of convenience"). So you should try to demonstrate the basis of your relationship - how you met, how you came to know one another. What I tried to do is put myself in the position of a jaded and distrustful immigration officer looking at my evidence and said "would this convince me (the jaded, distrustful officer) that this is truly a genuine relationship"? If the answer is not a resounding "absolutely" you need to do more work - because if you cannot convince yourself, you won't convince the real visa officer.

Indeed, I had that concern about my own spousal application - we have quite an age difference and quite an income difference, plus I was already refused. I'm objective enough to realize that this is going to look questionable. I assembled my first set of evidence and wasn't convinced. I found more material and STILL wasn't convinced. At that point I really had to dig - I found our early communications with one another that pre-date my even filing that first (refused) application. With that information I realized that I now had a very convincing story - if my goal had been to "buy my way in to Canada" I wouldn't have ever bothered spending three years on the original application. The story all of the evidence (chat logs, phone records, travel records, pictures and letters from our friends and family) told is actually now convincing.

There is no income requirement for sponsorship. With that said, you have to be able to convince CIC that you will be able to provide for yourself and your partner (that's why showing your partner has useful skills is, while not required, useful.) But there really isn't that much to being approved to sponsor. The scrutiny will be on your wife - she is the one that CIC might suspect of "buying her way" into Canada. Build your case - convince them that it isn't the case and you can be in the 20%. Make sure your application is persuasive and COMPLETE - dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Check and re-check. Make sure the documents are ALL there. Arrange them so they are in exactly the right order.

When you are done, keep a copy of EVERYTHING. That way if anything goes missing, you will be able to replace it quickly.

When you reach the point that you know everything is there because you've reviewed it all so many times you're sick of looking at the application, it's complete. Make your copy, send it in and wait. At that point there's nothing more you can do to make it go faster, other than just hope it DOES go faster for you.

Others may have further suggestions, of course.

Good luck!

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
The point is not you (your approval should be granted within 3-4 months) but your wife (and your relationship). The visa office will be primarily concerned with the legitimacy of your relationship and your wife's own background. Assuming she has no criminal record, there shouldn't be much of a hold-up. While it isn't necessary, being able to show that she has skills that can be employed in Canada is certainly useful. If her employer is willing to offer her a position in Canada, I'd include them although there's technically no reason to do so.

Your emphasis should be on your relationship. The reason that there is a long delay is likely because the visa office sees a significant number of questionable relationships (the dreaded "marriage of convenience"). So you should try to demonstrate the basis of your relationship - how you met, how you came to know one another. What I tried to do is put myself in the position of a jaded and distrustful immigration officer looking at my evidence and said "would this convince me (the jaded, distrustful officer) that this is truly a genuine relationship"? If the answer is not a resounding "absolutely" you need to do more work - because if you cannot convince yourself, you won't convince the real visa officer.

Indeed, I had that concern about my own spousal application - we have quite an age difference and quite an income difference, plus I was already refused. I'm objective enough to realize that this is going to look questionable. I assembled my first set of evidence and wasn't convinced. I found more material and STILL wasn't convinced. At that point I really had to dig - I found our early communications with one another that pre-date my even filing that first (refused) application. With that information I realized that I now had a very convincing story - if my goal had been to "buy my way in to Canada" I wouldn't have ever bothered spending three years on the original application. The story all of the evidence (chat logs, phone records, travel records, pictures and letters from our friends and family) told is actually now convincing.

There is no income requirement for sponsorship. With that said, you have to be able to convince CIC that you will be able to provide for yourself and your partner (that's why showing your partner has useful skills is, while not required, useful.) But there really isn't that much to being approved to sponsor. The scrutiny will be on your wife - she is the one that CIC might suspect of "buying her way" into Canada. Build your case - convince them that it isn't the case and you can be in the 20%. Make sure your application is persuasive and COMPLETE - dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Check and re-check. Make sure the documents are ALL there. Arrange them so they are in exactly the right order.

When you are done, keep a copy of EVERYTHING. That way if anything goes missing, you will be able to replace it quickly.

When you reach the point that you know everything is there because you've reviewed it all so many times you're sick of looking at the application, it's complete. Make your copy, send it in and wait. At that point there's nothing more you can do to make it go faster, other than just hope it DOES go faster for you.

Others may have further suggestions, of course.

Good luck!
Computergeek, thanks for taking the time to share your views.

I do understand what you are saying. In my case, me and my wife met just two weeks before our marriage. She works a good job and I believe if she applied herself under skilled category, she would get immigration visa herself. Now, as for convincing the immigration officer that our relationship is genuine, in our culture people get married with less then a weeks's notice. Also, we don't have that much age difference. After marriage, I realized that we have many things in common and that I am really in love with her. But, how do you convince an immigration officer of that?

What should that relationship letter consist of?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
goodman36 said:
Computergeek, thanks for taking the time to share your views.

I do understand what you are saying. In my case, me and my wife met just two weeks before our marriage. She works a good job and I believe if she applied herself under skilled category, she would get immigration visa herself. Now, as for convincing the immigration officer that our relationship is genuine, in our culture people get married with less then a weeks's notice. Also, we don't have that much age difference. After marriage, I realized that we have many things in common and that I am really in love with her. But, how do you convince an immigration officer of that?

What should that relationship letter consist of?
I know that CIC officers are trained with respect to arranged marriages and cultural differences. I'm personally not familiar with the appropriate way to handle this, so I'm going to defer to others to make further suggestions.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a little confused about police clearance for me. I am the Sponsor and I reside and work here. In nowhere in the CIC guide I saw they were asking for the sponsor's police clearance from Canada; but I read in some of the thread here that people are also attaching their police clearance from here. Is that necessary? (of course, I will be attaching my wife's police clearance from the country where she lives)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

goodman36 said:
I am a little confused about police clearance for me. I am the Sponsor and I reside and work here. In nowhere in the CIC guide I saw they were asking for the sponsor's police clearance from Canada; but I read in some of the thread here that people are also attaching their police clearance from here. Is that necessary? (of course, I will be attaching my wife's police clearance from the country where she lives)
No, you don't need to get a Police Certificate. CIC will do a name check in CPIC to see if you have a record.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM.

As for Form 5406: This is to be filled out by my Spouse only (who I am sponsoring), right?

I got a little confused as the guideline says this form to be filled out by: 'You', 'Your Spouse' and 'Your dependent Children'. So, who is filling this out actually? In the FORM section it is under immigration forms only and doesn't appear under Sponsorship Forms.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
It will take a long time, so get in that lineup as soon as you can ;)

MTLQUEBEC

May 31, 2012
hey goodman

for some reason this part not included for Asia in Appendix C in Part 3:Country Specific Instructions
it's important to follow it

When you and your family members go for your medical examination, make sure you have this sheet
completed for each person, along with the following items:
• passports for yourself and your family members, plus a photocopy of the bio-data page of
each passport. If a passport is not available, provide an official identity document bearing the
photo and date of birth of the family member;
• eye glasses or contact lenses, if you or your family members wear them;
• previous medical report(s), if any. You must tell the examining doctor about all past and
present medical problems and conditions, and provide the doctor with any available
documentation such as physician’s reports, treatment or prescriptions; and
• five recent pictures taken within six months preceding the date of the examination and, where
applicable, a negative for yourself and your family members (see section on photos in the
instructions on how to complete the Application for permanent residence).
Make an appointment with one of the doctors identified on the enclosed list. A Medical Report,
Section A (form IMM 1017 EFC) will be completed at the doctor’s office for yourself and each of
your family members undergoing the medical exam. A photo of the person to be examined by the
doctor will be affixed on both copies of that person’s form. This form is used to match your medical
file to your immigrant file.
The doctor will sign the form and mail the first copy to the Canadian Regional
Medical Office (RMO) with the results of the examination. You will be given the
second copy as proof you underwent the medical examination. You must
include this copy with your immigrant application when you send it to your
sponsor. Photocopies will not be accepted. If you lose it, you will not be able to
obtain a duplicate;you will have to redo the medical examination and pay any
associated fees again.
We will review the medical results to determine whether there are any medical reasons which would
prevent you or your family members from coming to Canada.You and each of your family members
will also have to complete your own copy of the Medical Report, Section B (form IMM 5419). You
will have to write your answers to the questions on this form in the presence of the examining doctor,
who will then proceed to complete Section C, D and E. The medical examination includes:
• complete physical examination for all family members;
• chest X-ray and a radiologist’s report for everyone aged 11 years and over;
• blood test for everyone aged 15 years or over;
• urinalysis for everyone aged 5 years or over;
• HIV testing for everyone aged 15 years or over, as well as for children who have received
blood or blood products, or have a known HIV mother.
If your medical results prove satisfactory, they have a validity of one year from the date of
examination. Therefore, you should make arrangements to have the date of your medical examination
precede as closely as possible the date you will be sending your application and supporting
documentation to your sponsor.
If the processing of your application for permanent residence is delayed and we cannot reach a
decision about your application before the validity of your medical examination expires, you will be
required to do the medical examination again.

MTLQUEBEC

May 31, 2012
goodman36 said:
Thanks PMM.

As for Form 5406: This is to be filled out by my Spouse only (who I am sponsoring), right?

I got a little confused as the guideline says this form to be filled out by: 'You', 'Your Spouse' and 'Your dependent Children'. So, who is filling this out actually? In the FORM section it is under immigration forms only and doesn't appear under Sponsorship Forms.
if you follow this wwwDOTcicDOTgcDOTca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
then Part 1 is done by you, Part 2 and 3 is done by your wife and returned to you. Once everything is complete you send it to Mississauga

I say take an extra month to get everything right. IF singapore asks for an interview, then it takes over 9 months just to arrange an interview. This happened to my sister :(

As part of the proofs send 30 plus pictures but make sure they are quality pictures e.g with family members, all the ceremonies ( too many in Bangladesh lol) and trips.