+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

!!!!just a few random imm questions please!!!!

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
hi again its me lol, us citizen married to canadian citizen, once again ive happened upon some questions and this forum has been a god sent, especially you PMM.BUffalo wont handle questions on the phone and they said to email, so i did and i get a reply saying they dont answer email questions unless ive sent in my application already, so if anyone could answer a few questions id be so grateful...

1)theres a form called "Additional Family Information" IMM5406 (06-2002)E, on which they ask for my parents, children, brothers,sisters,half siblings etc.My question is, do i list these family members even if they are not going to live in canada with me?

2)In schedule one Background/Declaration IMM008, they ask for all addresses ive lived in since turning 18 years old. Im 35 now and have lived in quite a few places. I dont remember the street number and sometimes not even the street name of some of my addresses. What will happen if i can not remember 100% of them?

3)Background checks, i know i need to do them, i am going tomorrow for the fingerprints, but hear it will take 16-18 weeks to get my FBI (USA) back and we want to file PR in September, do i need the background checks BEFORE applying to send in with app or do i send in later? will it reduce my processing time if i have it whewn i send in my papers?

4) i have custody of my 3 US citizen children and their father has visitation at the discretion of social services because of alchoholic abuse on the fathers side, but he has neither called nor been in any contavt with the kids in 10 years, do i need to get a judge to take visitation off the order? or will my custody order sufice for a court resolution to bring them with me?

5) i still have a car payment on a brand new 2006 car, will this affect anything with immigration and will i be able to keep my car? lol ok that one was off the wall but since i was asking i figured i might as well throw it in there. i heard you have to have 2 copies of a list of all your items you are moving over when you land, do you have to say every single item you are crossing?

6) i have applied for our passports, and wont have them before we apply, my husband found out all i had to do was write a letter saying ive applied and attach it to the app and it will suffice til i am asked to send it to them, is there a significant difference in the processing time if i wait to send it rather than supply the info on the apps as the apps ask?

sorry for so many questions guys, my husband is living in oshawa and im living in virginia and as you can guess we are eager to finally be able to live as a married couple so all your help is greatly appreciated!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tamee said:
hi again its me lol, us citizen married to canadian citizen, once again ive happened upon some questions and this forum has been a god sent, especially you PMM.BUffalo wont handle questions on the phone and they said to email, so i did and i get a reply saying they dont answer email questions unless ive sent in my application already, so if anyone could answer a few questions id be so grateful...

1)theres a form called "Additional Family Information" IMM5406 (06-2002)E, on which they ask for my parents, children, brothers,sisters,half siblings etc.My question is, do i list these family members even if they are not going to live in canada with me?

Yes.

2)In schedule one Background/Declaration IMM008, they ask for all addresses ive lived in since turning 18 years old. Im 35 now and have lived in quite a few places. I dont remember the street number and sometimes not even the street name of some of my addresses. What will happen if i can not remember 100% of them?

Be as accurate as possible.

3)Background checks, i know i need to do them, i am going tomorrow for the fingerprints, but hear it will take 16-18 weeks to get my FBI (USA) back and we want to file PR in September, do i need the background checks BEFORE applying to send in with app or do i send in later? will it reduce my processing time if i have it whewn i send in my papers?

It will reduce the processing time if you are upfront with PCCs, there is always a chance if you send it in without the FBI check, it will be returned months down the road as incomplete. Also as it is a spousal application, they are going to wait for the PCCs before any processing will take place.

4) i have custody of my 3 US citizen children and their father has visitation at the discretion of social services because of alchoholic abuse on the fathers side, but he has neither called nor been in any contavt with the kids in 10 years, do i need to get a judge to take visitation off the order? or will my custody order sufice for a court resolution to bring them with me?

You will need either permission from the father or the courts to remove the children to Canada.

5) i still have a car payment on a brand new 2006 car, will this affect anything with immigration and will i be able to keep my car? lol ok that one was off the wall but since i was asking i figured i might as well throw it in there. i heard you have to have 2 copies of a list of all your items you are moving over when you land, do you have to say every single item you are crossing?

No interest to Immigration, but US customs will have an interest as you require proof of title or permission from the lender to remove the car from the US and import it to Canada. All you need to know is at www.riv.ca You require 2 list, Goods accompanying and goods to follow. All valuables, electronics, high priced items need to be listed individually with serial numbers, expensive jewelery in goods to follow should have pictures and a valuation. Other goods such as clothing can be listed as xx boxes used clothing , $x.

6) i have applied for our passports, and wont have them before we apply, my husband found out all i had to do was write a letter saying ive applied and attach it to the app and it will suffice til i am asked to send it to them, is there a significant difference in the processing time if i wait to send it rather than supply the info on the apps as the apps ask?

NO.

sorry for so many questions guys, my husband is living in oshawa and im living in virginia and as you can guess we are eager to finally be able to live as a married couple so all your help is greatly appreciated!!!
PMM

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
pmm- i filed a motion to ammend my custody papers to teerminate visitation since we have not heard from him in 10 years, will the new custody order without the visitation suffice as far as being able to remove them to canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tamee said:
pmm- i filed a motion to ammend my custody papers to teerminate visitation since we have not heard from him in 10 years, will the new custody order without the visitation suffice as far as being able to remove them to canada?
If you are having the court order amended, have it state that you are able to take the children outside the jurisdiction of the court, so there is no doubt in Buffalo's mind that you can take them to Canada.

PMM

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
I share the same problem of having lived in so many places. I even lived in South Korea for a while. I don't know how on earth I will find the address where I lived there. Will try old buddies and Korean consulate. Good luck Tamee

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
someone suggested your credit report which was a great idea.

dont know how that works in korea though:)

good luck to you too

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
:)

And believe me if I remember anything about Korea, you don't want to deal with getting that info with the level of Korean I have.