+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

June 2021 Inland Spousal Sponsorship

cooky.sonu

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I have a question, please help.. I am primary applicant and I applied for the pgwp work permit after 1 year of studies here inland. and I am living here with my spouse having PR.
Now My spouse and I are applying for spousal Inland visa with Open work permit- will it be fine to apply an open work permit right? @legalfalcon
Could you suggest a right approach?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I have a question, please help.. I am primary applicant and I applied for the pgwp work permit after 1 year of studies here inland. and I am living here with my spouse having PR.
Now My spouse and I are applying for spousal Inland visa with Open work permit- will it be fine to apply an open work permit right? @legalfalcon
Could you suggest a right approach?
Is your spouse already a PR?

cooky.sonu

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Is your spouse already a PR?
Yes he is a PR holder and lives here in Canada and I did my studies here( 1 year post graduate course) and applied for PGWP( paid $255 for work permit and open work permit).
Now My spouse and I are applying for spousal PR Inland application, My doubt is do we need to again apply for an Open work permit for me?

Could you please suggest a right approach?
@legalfalcon

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Yes he is a PR holder and lives here in Canada and I did my studies here( 1 year post graduate course) and applied for PGWP( paid $255 for work permit and open work permit).
Now My spouse and I are applying for spousal PR Inland application, My doubt is do we need to again apply for an Open work permit for me?

Could you please suggest a right approach?
@legalfalcon
If you applied for PGWP and if the is expiring then you will have to apply again under the PR sponsorship OWP.

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

Thought I'd add to this:

We submitted on June 9th 2021
AOR received November 6th 2021
Biometrics OWP request November 8th 2021

Managed to link to my account on November 6th as well.

Application is inland common law sponsorship and an OWP.

No idea if this is fast or slow, or what we should expect next.

Thanks.

Last edited:

cccrystal

Oct 28, 2021
thx
Hi,

Thought I'd add to this:

We submitted on June 9th 2021
AOR received November 6th 2021
Biometrics OWP request November 8th 2021

Managed to link to my account on November 6th as well.

Application is inland common law sponsorship and an OWP.

No idea if this is fast or slow, or what we should expect next.

Thanks.
I applied on May 26th, haven't got AOR YET

samwellj

Nov 10, 2021
Hello everyone, my apologies if this has been written about before but I can't find much information on the topic. I just got off the phone with IRCC after such a struggle getting through to them, and it wasn't very helpful, so I'm hoping people here have more details.

I am a Canadian citizen, sponsoring my partner through the Common law In-Canada class PR application. She is a Mexican citizen, so has 6 months in Canada as a visitor. We applied for the PR back in June 2021 through a mailed copy (not online), and included a completed Open Work Permit application as well. We know that the PR process takes a really long time, but the Open Work Permit was said to take several months only, not 1+ year like the PR. We applied through the paper copy rather than online because this is what the IRCC website told us we had to do for our particular case, that this type of application was not available online.

We received an Acknowledgement of Receipt email at the end of July, stating that the application had been received on June 17, 2021.

Since we entered Canada in May, her 6 months are running out now in November, so we also completed and sent a Visitor Visa extension application early last month in October. We have not received any Acknowledgement of Receipt for that, although the tracking we got on the package says it was delivered.

We are regularly checking processing status on the website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html, but were unsure whether to be checking "Work Permit" (for the Open Work Permit portion) or "Family Sponsorship" (for the overall PR app). This makes a big difference, since the work permit one is currently in June 2021, and the family sponsorship one is still in May 2020. Since all documents were sent together (this was explicitly written in the instructions when applying - to send the OPW together in the same application), we hope that the OPW will not only be processed once the entire PR application is processed, otherwise we'll be waiting an extremely long time. The whole point of the OPW is to be able to get it relatively quickly (at least in comparison with the incredibly long PR processing times) so that the individual can work and sustain themselves, while they wait for the larger application to be processed.

I just called IRCC and the man didn't seem to know specifically which processing status would apply to us - but rather said that my partner will only get OWP eligibility once we get "Approved in Principle", the first step towards getting the PR. I asked him what the timeline was for that and he didn't answer, but after looking it up online, it seems to me that Approved in Principle essentially is towards the end of the entire process - it says that IRCC looked at the entire application and said the applicant meets eligibility, but that certain parts of the process still need to be actioned.

If this is indeed the case, then what is the point of the OWP? If we have to wait for Approved in Principle with the bigger PR application, won't that mean we're waiting for the entire process to be almost done? Moreover, does the waiting period of 4 months for OPW that I see everywhere not apply to us?

Any answers/personal experiences or information you can share would be GREATLY appreciated. We are just so frustrated with the lack of clarity and realistic expectations and communication throughout this whole process, and hope we can get some clear answers soon. As I said, we don't mind waiting a long time for the PR, but the whole allure of the OPW was that it would be quicker and allow you to work and take care of yourself while you had that super long wait for PR. I feel like I'm missing something here, and I hope some of you can help!

Thank you so much! If you want any more info, let me know, and my apologies for writing so much.

Reactions: pskamboj97

marcello81

Apr 30, 2021
If this is indeed the case, then what is the point of the OWP? If we have to wait for Approved in Principle with the bigger PR application, won't that mean we're waiting for the entire process to be almost done? Moreover, does the waiting period of 4 months for OPW that I see everywhere not apply to us?
Forget the OWP almost no one gets it while applying for spousal sponsorship, it´s a total scam. The only reason to apply for it is to get implied status. At least they refund the money at the end of the whole process.
Canada doesn´t really care about the spousal class, they only want cheap labour immigration. It almost seems like a crime when a canadian marries a foreigner. At least that´s how my wife feels about it.

Reactions: Kiikii

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Thought I'd update this again, maybe it helps someone. Inland Common Law Sponsorship.

Submitted - June 9th 2021
AOR received - November 6th 2021 / Managed to link to my account on November 6th as well.
Biometrics request - November 8th 2021
Biometrics completed - November 9th 2021
Medical Request - November 9th 2021
Medical Completed - November 10th 2021
Medical Passed - November 21st 2021
Invitation to Pre-arrival services - December 3rd 2021
Inland APR Eligibility Decision - approved - December 3rd 2021
IRCC Permanent Residence Confirmation Portal Invitation - December 4th 2021
PR Portal (PR confirmation) - New Credentials for the PR Portal (password to login) - December 5th 2021

I uploaded my address and photo the same day, I had to set my photo dimensions to exactly the same as their maximum dimensions to not get an error.
eCoPR Available for Download - December 6th 2021

OWP - Application cancelled December 14th -
This will have been due to the fact they ignored the application in order to complete the residency/sponsorship application instead. The inclusion of the OPW application seems pointless if they prioritise the Sponsorship Application. So if like me you read that you may receive a OPW within 90 days or so of applying, this seems not to be the case and you just need to wait for the actual PR card.

Today - December 15th 2021 - Still waiting on my PR card to arrive. Hoping it arrives soon so I can go and visit family (pandemic permitting) for the first time in over two years.

Last edited:

Mik Peter

Jan 14, 2022
Thought I'd update this again, maybe it helps someone. Inland Common Law Sponsorship.

AOR received - November 6th 2021 / Managed to link to my account on November 6th as well.
PR Portal (PR confirmation) - New Credentials for the PR Portal (password to login) - December 5th 2021

I uploaded my address and photo the same day, I had to set my photo dimensions to exactly the same as their maximum dimensions to not get an error.

This will have been due to the fact they ignored the application in order to complete the residency/sponsorship application instead. The inclusion of the OPW application seems pointless if they prioritise the Sponsorship Application. So if like me you read that you may receive a OPW within 90 days or so of applying, this seems not to be the case and you just need to wait for the actual PR card.

Today - December 15th 2021 - Still waiting on my PR card to arrive. Hoping it arrives soon so I can go and visit family (pandemic permitting) for the first time in over two years.
Thanks for this post. It was really helpful. I will try to do the same when my updates arrive.

Reactions: thestormtrooper

muratti

Feb 5, 2022

We have a similar timeline did you get your pr card yet?

Reactions: Bangarang

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
We have a similar timeline did you get your pr card yet?
Hi,

As of today, Sunday 6th February 2022. I've still not received my card. However, a few days ago in the PR Portal my address changed to approved. My photo still says in review.

Seems absolutely ridiculous that it takes over two months to print and post a card for an already approved application.

Hopefully because they've now approved my address I'll maybe receive it in the next few weeks? or maybe not...

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Bangarang

muratti

Feb 5, 2022
Hi,

As of today, Sunday 6th February 2022. I've still not received my card. However, a few days ago in the PR Portal my address changed to approved. My photo still says in review.

Seems absolutely ridiculous that it takes over two months to print and post a card for an already approved application.

Hopefully because they've now approved my address I'll maybe receive it in the next few weeks? or maybe not...

Hope that helps.
I got the CoPR on December 8th address and photo sections still under review but I search the forum that these are always on review in most cases even after they receive their card. I also link my pr card few days ago to cic website as well to see if I can get updates such as pr card mailed.

Also on February 4th now they introduced new pr tracker for family sponsorship which is similar to citizenship application status tracker. I registered there with my UCI and the password I created and it shows application closed because we got the ECOPR. However, I've seen a different home address there than mine that freaked me out. I sent a webform to request correction because i don't know where is that address coming from.

Also I realized that 2 weeks ago processing times for initial pr cards moved from 58 days to 87 days. There must be something happened and they added an additional 1 month 3 months processing time for the initial pr card is insane.

Edit:2 days after I linked PR card application I've seen un update on my cic saying that "we mailed your pr card to you it may take up to 6 weeks."
Can you believe that!!!

Last edited: