+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

June 2020 - Citizenship Application

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hi guys - do you know if I have the option to slightly change my first name or last name when filing for citizenship? I am not talking about completly different name, just an extra space that I want to remove in the last name (XX XXXXX to become XXXXXXX) or changing an E to an A? I know that for name changes, I am supposed to change my name in my home country passeport, then use my passport with the corrected name to apply for citizenship, but this is a hard way and time consuming...
You may change your name legally in Canada but there are different requirements depending on the Province you live in…

Reactions: didouette

melito

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-12-2016
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Request
05-04-2017
Med's Done....
08-04-2017
Passport Req..
09-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
17-05-2018
Hi guys - do you know if I have the option to slightly change my first name or last name when filing for citizenship? I am not talking about completly different name, just an extra space that I want to remove in the last name (XX XXXXX to become XXXXXXX) or changing an E to an A? I know that for name changes, I am supposed to change my name in my home country passeport, then use my passport with the corrected name to apply for citizenship, but this is a hard way and time consuming...
I don't know the answer to your question but just be aware that changing your name will make your application non-routine, which as far as I know means the 12-month processing time given to process a citizenship application will not apply to you anymore. In these COVID times it just plainly means that your application will probably be delayed even further. Just to be considered.

Reactions: didouette

didouette

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know the answer to your question but just be aware that changing your name will make your application non-routine, which as far as I know means the 12-month processing time given to process a citizenship application will not apply to you anymore. In these COVID times it just plainly means that your application will probably be delayed even further. Just to be considered.
Yes- something to factor in indeed, thank you

Melinoea

May 30, 2020
Hey everyone! I sent in my fingerprints on May 6th and on May 28th it updated to background "completed". My other three (Language Skills, Physical Presence, and Prohibition) are in process. Does anyone have an idea of the time between fingerprints being completed to getting a test invite?

Reactions: Hypatia

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Das, any update on your applications, Edmonton is really slow lately? Isn’t it?
No update, my wife received FP and submitted it and her BG still in progress. I am not expected anything until her BG is complete. I have seen in different forum people planning to go to Canada place downtown to protest LOL.

Reactions: novascotia27

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hey everyone! I sent in my fingerprints on May 6th and on May 28th it updated to background "completed". My other three (Language Skills, Physical Presence, and Prohibition) are in process. Does anyone have an idea of the time between fingerprints being completed to getting a test invite?
Usually 2-3 months after BG check is completed. But it varies tbh… can I ask you whether you send your FP to IRCC Vancouver or elsewhere?

Reactions: hoping1

Robinhood83

Jun 11, 2020
No update, my wife received FP and submitted it and her BG still in progress. I am not expected anything until her BG is complete. I have seen in different forum people planning to go to Canada place downtown to protest LOL.
Which other forums are you connected to regarding Citizenship?

Robinhood83

Jun 11, 2020
Not everybody will receive a FP, my BG was completed in Feb and my wife receive FP on
May 03. Nowadays there isn't faster way but only IRCC's way.
This wait bothers me coz its taking 90 days aprox to get test invite after BG verifications are completed. I see Nov2020 applicants getting test invites that makes me even more mad then I see few Dec/Jan 2021 online applicants done with oath ceremony which makes more mad and crazy both.. IRCC needs to follow FIFO and not LIFO.

Syrhazard

Apr 16, 2021
Hello again everyone. With the new tracker it shows BG completed March 3rd. Language physical presence and prohibition are in progress and test invite and ceremony not started. I am over 55 so I'm curious as what the next step might be. I suspect I should be seeing language and test as waived (per the clarification page) and physical presence and prohibition as completed with ceremony in progress maybe?

I received my GMCS notes May 13 (requested on April 15). My file got moved to Windsor IRCC on Feb 3rd and last update on notes is that I passed criminality on march 3rd ( which coincides with BG completion date on new tracker). The hope to make it to my son's wedding In the US on July 4th is dwindling and seems almost impossible. it is extremely frustrating! My application received date is June 6, has anyone tried to escalate through their local MP? since it is passed the 12 month estimated timeline it seems like I can approach the MP with request for support. Good luck to everyone!