+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

June 2020 - Citizenship Application

Jack2406

Star Member
May 16, 2017
Hello All,

I have few common questions.

1. Can I travel out of Canada once I give my citizenship test?
  2. How many days usually it takes from test to oath?
  3. Do I allow to travel outside of Canada after oath?
  4. Can I apply for Canadian passport immediately after oath? Or do I have to wait till citizen certificate arrive?

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Alot of peeps are getting so don't worry. Did you get the request through email or you received a letter in your post? Also, is Vancouver office sending out fp request?
I’ve got it via email from the Calgary office. I currently live in Calgary. Yea, I read is common nowadays it’s just seem I waited for too long and was hoping for a test invite the next time I hear from IRCC and not a FP request

Reactions: hoping1

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
I called IRCC this morning. I was told I passed security and eligibility checks and currently criminality is being processed by RCMP. The agent confirmed that once all checks are "Passed", the application is placed into a pool of test-ready applicants. The invitation for the online citizenship test IS RANDOM and handled at the Nove Scotia intake center. The system has a 5,000 limit of active citizenship test takers at any given time before the system crushes. The agent also stated that post-covid applicants are being worked on within the 12-month application process, or at least, aiming for that timeline. Though this is not true for pre-covid applicants as most of them are non-routine applications. This explains why the IRCC website says they are working on applications from March 2019!!

Any thoughts? It's encouraging to know that June 2020 applicants might become Citizens of Canada by end of this summer!
I got the same information from helpline agent today

eatpraylove

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
I called IRCC this morning. I was told I passed security and eligibility checks and currently criminality is being processed by RCMP. The agent confirmed that once all checks are "Passed", the application is placed into a pool of test-ready applicants. The invitation for the online citizenship test IS RANDOM and handled at the Nove Scotia intake center. The system has a 5,000 limit of active citizenship test takers at any given time before the system crushes. The agent also stated that post-covid applicants are being worked on within the 12-month application process, or at least, aiming for that timeline. Though this is not true for pre-covid applicants as most of them are non-routine applications. This explains why the IRCC website says they are working on applications from March 2019!!

Any thoughts? It's encouraging to know that June 2020 applicants might become Citizens of Canada by end of this summer!
Are test invitations handled in Sydney as well?? There are people in process and in transit still waiting for the test..
So, in transit is done when file is sent to secondary office then comes test invitation. Are test invitations handled by Sydney or the local office then? The in transit stage makes it all questionable

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Are test invitations handled in Sydney as well?? There are people in process and in transit still waiting for the test..
So, in transit is done when file is sent to secondary office then comes test invitation. Are test invitations handled by Sydney or the local office then? The in transit stage makes it all questionable
I do not understand your concern. What do you mean by "in transit"?

I was told the online test invitations are centralized in Sydney. The applications that have cleared all checks are placed into a test-ready pool of candidates and apparently, the Sydney office picks candidates from that pool randomly. This is due to the limitations of the online test-taking platform that only supports 5,000 active test takers at any given point in time.

eatpraylove

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
I do not understand your concern. What do you mean by "in transit"?

I was told the online test invitations are centralized in Sydney. The applications that have cleared all checks are placed into a test-ready pool of candidates and apparently, the Sydney office picks candidates from that pool randomly. This is due to the limitations of the online test-taking platform that only supports 5,000 active test takers at any given point in time.
Sorry if i wasnt clear, there is an "in transit" stage when your file is being sent to secondary office from Sydney... this is usually before the test invitation and after the checks are done ...
So if files are transfered from Sydney to secondary office are they still responsible for the test invitations ?

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Sorry if i wasnt clear, there is an "in transit" stage when your file is being sent to secondary office from Sydney... this is usually before the test invitation and after the checks are done ...
So if files are transfered from Sydney to secondary office are they still responsible for the test invitations ?
I don't think these two are related. Files are still being transferred to the local IRCC for further processing so it is just the online test-invitation process that differs (for now) in a sense that is handled at NS.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
I was told by multiple agents on call that the test is handled by the local office and not by the centralized office.

Kaymin

Oct 11, 2020
RNC is not doing fingerprints either at the moment. IRCC just annoys me so much. Its almost like they live in another world.
HI, Thanks for sharing, did you manage to do your Fingerprint with RCMP? I am in NL and interested to know how applications from NL get processed