+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 6th successful soft landing experience at Detroit Windsor Tunnel

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Thanks a lot for the detailed post.

Could you please share what the ARRIVECAN receipt mentioned after submission?
Did it say "V" (Vaccinated) or "I" (Immunized"?
Mine said "V" (vaccinated). I did everything on July 12th successfully. I've posted a summary of my experience but the post is saying (
This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.)

Reactions: klksunny

Pmovcan21

Dec 22, 2020
This post became long but I wanted to write in as much detail as possible. This forum helped me a lot and I want to give back. Have added a TLDR version if you don’t want to read the entire post.

TLDR:
At Canada Border:

We had really smooth experience at the Canadian side. Both the officer we interacted with were really friendly and welcoming. Completed all the landing formalities within 30 mins including PR card that will be mailed at the given address in 6-8 weeks. We could not apply for SIN in person as we were told that even though we were vaccinated our daughter needed to quarantine if we go inside (Canada). I was fine with it since I can apply for it online. Also for Goods to Follow list, we were told it will be processed when we move permanently.

Documents asked: Passports, COPRs, address in Canada, Covid test results

At US Border:
Officer at POE took the documents and sent us to secondary inspection. At the secondary inspection the officer didn’t know about AVR initially refusing to process. After talking to her Boss (on phone) she started processing but again and again kept calling. Finally her boss came out, asked us a few questions - gave her a shrug, (likely asking her to process us without asking any other question). We were finally given “Admitted” stamp on passport. No new I94 was issued and was told that the existing I94 on the I797 was added to the CBP records. Took around 45-50 mins.

Documents asked: Passports & I797 with I94.

Soft landing experience in detail:

Me my wife (Indian citizen) and our 3.5 year old daughter (US citizen) flew from Seattle to Detroit. Wife and I have expired H1B and H4 visa stamp with valid I797 with I94 till 2023.

Carried following documents
CBSA: Passports, COPR, GTF, Proof of Funds, Vaccination cards, Negative COVID Tests,
CBP: Passports, I797, Employer verification letter, Company ID, Pay stubs,

Filled the ArriveCan form on 5th July. Entered all the details including vaccination information.
We started on 6th July and reached the Tunnel around 10:40 am. Crossed the tunnel and landed on the Canadian border checkpoint.

Officer 1: What is the purpose of visit?
Me: We are here to complete Permanent Resident landing.

Officer 1: Give me your passports. Do you have a negative Covid Test results? Give me that too.
Me: (Handed all the documents - Passports and Negative Covid Test results.)

Officer 1: Where will you be staying in Canada?
Me: If possible we would like to return back to US after completing the landing paperwork?

Officer 1: Yes you can certainly do that.

He spent around 5 mins verifying everything. And then came out of the booth to put a yellow paper on our dash and asked us to go to the inspection area. Waived and smiled at our daughter.

We reached the inspection site and parked our car. We were the the only one initially in the parking area. Two officers came out immediately. One officer stayed back the other officer (Officer 2) came to the car window. Took the yellow slip from the car.

Officer 2: Give me your Passport and COPR documents.
Me: (Handed him the documents.)

Officer 2: Please give me the address where you are going today?
Me: (I gave him my friend's address where were planning to go if asked to quarantine. I had to take out my GTF paper to read the full address as I didn’t remember the zip code. At no point did the officer ask if it is our address or friend's address. So we didn’t mention anything about it).

Officer went back into the building. We were left on our own in the car for around 15 mins.
After 15 mins Officer 2 came out with a writing pad with our COPR and passports.

Officer 2: Have you read the entire document? (Pointing to the COPR which he had already signed)
Me: I have some time back (while giving him a confused look).

Officer 2 then explained each section of the COPR asked questions about drugs and criminal past and asked us to initial and sign. I did it for my daughter and myself. And my wife signed her COPR.

Me: We would like to go back to the US if possible after completing the landing.
Officer2: Yes I can certainly help with that.

He then stepped back into the building. Came back after 5 mins. Handed us the passports.

Officer 2: Your COPRs are stapled in the passport. You have completed your landing. You will receive your PR card at the address you provided in 6-8 weeks. You are good to go. To go back to the US you can go this way (pointing to the right) and take a right.
Me: We would like to also apply for SIN.
Officer 2: If I allow you to do that that I will have to ask you to Quarantine.
Me: Both me and my wife are vaccinated. Can we be exempted from quarantine?
Officer 2: Your daughter is not. Everyone under 12 year old have to quarantine.

I knew that I could create SIN online so didn’t push this further.

Me: I also have a Goods to Follow List that I would like to validate.
Officer 2: We will take care of it when you arrive here permanently.
Me: Can we travel to Canada till we get our PR card.
Officer 2: You can use your COPR to travel via land. For flight you will need your PR card.

We thanked the officer. And took the U turn towards the US. During the entire time, we were in our car. This was different from other experiences I read where people had to go inside the building. We were back on the US side by 11:20.

Back in US
At the US checkpoint, we handed over the documents to the CBP officer. He took our passport with expired visas and I797 with I94. I asked that we want use Automatic Visa Revalidation. He spent few minutes looking at the documents. He then asked for vehicle rental information. Crossed checked the vehicle license plate. After that handed us our documents back with orange slip and asked us to go to secondary inspection site.

The secondary inspection site was empty. There were three officers (one lady and two men). Lady officer asked us to take seat while continuing to chat with another officer.

After 5 mins she called us.

Officer: Why we are here? Give me your passports and the orange slip.
Me: We would like to use Automatic Visa Revalidation to enter the United States (while handing her the passports and I797 and orange slip)
Officer: (while making a confused face) I don’t think we do that here unless you are a Canadian Permanent Resident. Are you a Canadian PR?
Me: (now I was confused) yes we became PR 30 mins back.
Officer: show me your PR card?
Me: I have a Validated CoPR in my passport.
Officer: What is CoPR? (But opened the stapled CoPR document in my passport. Reviewed it for my wife and daughter as well.) I will be right back.

She went inside with all documents to probably check our case with her boss. She came back after 10 mins.

Officer: Ok I will take care of you. I will process you first (pointing to my wife)

Called my wife, took biometrics and finger prints. Asked her to sit down.

Officer: (looking at me) your visa expired in 2018. How can you enter without a valid visa (rhetorical question).

After this, she again called her boss on phone. For almost 10 mins she kept asking how can they enter with expired visa, how many times can they enter. Is there no limit and so on? We were now very tensed due to the questions she was asking on phone. Suddenly we saw another officer come in from back room (later figured it was her boss). He called me to the counter.

Boss: You are a Canadian PR. Why are you going to United States?
Me: I am going to work for my employer in United States till the date my petition is valid.
Boss: But you are a PR. Can you even do that? Won’t you loose your PR if you work in the US?
Me: We plan to work till the validity of my petition and then move to Canada permanently. I have 3 years till I can stay out of the country (Canada) before I have to move permanently.
Boss: (to me) ok you can take a seat.

He gave the officer a shrug and a look and then left. Officer continued processing. After 5 mins she called me. Took my photo, fingerprints. And then said she cannot issue a new I-94 since we already have one, but will add it to CBP records. Then she asked me to take a seat. After another 5 mins, she handed us the papers and we were on our way. We were back in our car and on the road by 12:15.

It took us almost an hour and a half to be in and out of the tunnel. In the hindsight, we got an officer, on the US side, who had no clue about AVR and was being extra diligent. We were relieved to be back in the US and really happy that we successfully finished the softlanding. This was a huge stress for us for the last few weeks and finally this was all over.
@MST555 : Thanks a lot for your detailed write up and it helped me to prepare and complete softlanding.

Did you receive your PR card to the Canadian address you have provided during landing .if so please let me know how long it took to deliver to the given address.

Thanks in advance!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
@MST555 or anyone who traveled recently - Did you fill details in ArriveCAN app before going?

One of the questions in the app is "Is your travel exempt". Under "what is exempt travel", it only states 4 options - cross-border work, essential service, medical support and trade/transport. It seems we don't fit in either of these, so I guess we should choose no. But it wasn't clear if answering no to this "travel exemption" will decide the need to quarantine or not. The CIC website has some confusing instructions on this topic. On one hand it says that anyone who's fully vaccinated is exempted from quarantine and on the other hand this question asks to choose one of these 4 reasons if we choose "yes" to "is your travel exempt".

Any thoughts? If I answer "no" to this question, it further asks the purpose of travel, under which there is a question "returning to Canada" (Citizens or permanent residents returning to Canada). It does not seem we fit in this either.
Just clikc NO and then proceed to next section(Purpose of travel) where you choose "None of the above" and proceed. You wont be asked to quarantine if you had fully vaccinated. That app is little genric and its like scheduling your entry, nothing more than that, it saves your time when you reach the border, you should be good.

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
@MST555 : Thanks a lot for your detailed write up and it helped me to prepare and complete softlanding.

Did you receive your PR card to the Canadian address you have provided during landing .if so please let me know how long it took to deliver to the given address.

Thanks in advance!
I haven't yet received the PR card. Will update once I receive it.

Pmovcan21

Dec 22, 2020
I haven't yet received the PR card. Will update once I receive it.
Sure, Thanks for your response.
Did you apply SIN online and received it?
If we can apply online what are the docs we need to have in hand? Please let me know if you have any idea on it. Thanks once again!

immi1

Jun 5, 2020
My recent soft landing experience at Detroit Windsor border. We drove from US to Canada through Detroit Windsor tunnel.

My status: H1B with expired stamp, COPR expiry in Feb 2022.

At Canada border:
Officer: Why are you here today?
Me: To complete my permanent resident landing process.
Officer: Can I see your documentation?
Me: provided
Officer: Did you fill in Arrivecan?
Me: Yes
Officer: Can I see your covid negative test reports?
Me: provided
Officer: How long you plan to stay?
Me: Through the weekend.
Officer: Called for secondary inspection.
I had to park my car at the CBSA security location.
Officer: Took passports, COPR documents, US Drivers license.
Me: Waited in the car
Another Officer: How long you plan to stay? When are you moving permanently?
Me: Staying over the weekend. Planning to move permanently in Nov.
Officer: Goods to Follow and address to send your PR Card.
Me: provided, waited in the car for about 30 mins
Officer: Signed all docs and went through few rules
Me: Thanked the officer and entered Canada.

US side:

Officer: Why are you here today.
Me: Traveling for work.
Officer: Where are you coming from?
Me: From Canada
Officer: Laughed… of course
Me: I would like to use AVR rule, I have a expired visa stamp. Handed over I797 and passports.
Officer: Called for secondary inspection. At secondary inspections officers asked to leave phones in car and they checked the vehicle. Asked us to go to a room inside the building. Visa was revalidated with no issues and no questions asked, just the home address and company name.

Overall very smooth process. I suggest you use Detroit Windsor tunnel to do landing procedures. Very friendly staff and well informed. Hope this information helps you. All the best.

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
This post became long but I wanted to write in as much detail as possible. This forum helped me a lot and I want to give back. Have added a TLDR version if you don’t want to read the entire post.

TLDR:
At Canada Border:

We had really smooth experience at the Canadian side. Both the officer we interacted with were really friendly and welcoming. Completed all the landing formalities within 30 mins including PR card that will be mailed at the given address in 6-8 weeks. We could not apply for SIN in person as we were told that even though we were vaccinated our daughter needed to quarantine if we go inside (Canada). I was fine with it since I can apply for it online. Also for Goods to Follow list, we were told it will be processed when we move permanently.

Documents asked: Passports, COPRs, address in Canada, Covid test results

At US Border:
Officer at POE took the documents and sent us to secondary inspection. At the secondary inspection the officer didn’t know about AVR initially refusing to process. After talking to her Boss (on phone) she started processing but again and again kept calling. Finally her boss came out, asked us a few questions - gave her a shrug, (likely asking her to process us without asking any other question). We were finally given “Admitted” stamp on passport. No new I94 was issued and was told that the existing I94 on the I797 was added to the CBP records. Took around 45-50 mins.

Documents asked: Passports & I797 with I94.

Soft landing experience in detail:

Me my wife (Indian citizen) and our 3.5 year old daughter (US citizen) flew from Seattle to Detroit. Wife and I have expired H1B and H4 visa stamp with valid I797 with I94 till 2023.

Carried following documents
CBSA: Passports, COPR, GTF, Proof of Funds, Vaccination cards, Negative COVID Tests,
CBP: Passports, I797, Employer verification letter, Company ID, Pay stubs,

Filled the ArriveCan form on 5th July. Entered all the details including vaccination information.
We started on 6th July and reached the Tunnel around 10:40 am. Crossed the tunnel and landed on the Canadian border checkpoint.

Officer 1: What is the purpose of visit?
Me: We are here to complete Permanent Resident landing.

Officer 1: Give me your passports. Do you have a negative Covid Test results? Give me that too.
Me: (Handed all the documents - Passports and Negative Covid Test results.)

Officer 1: Where will you be staying in Canada?
Me: If possible we would like to return back to US after completing the landing paperwork?

Officer 1: Yes you can certainly do that.

He spent around 5 mins verifying everything. And then came out of the booth to put a yellow paper on our dash and asked us to go to the inspection area. Waived and smiled at our daughter.

We reached the inspection site and parked our car. We were the the only one initially in the parking area. Two officers came out immediately. One officer stayed back the other officer (Officer 2) came to the car window. Took the yellow slip from the car.

Officer 2: Give me your Passport and COPR documents.
Me: (Handed him the documents.)

Officer 2: Please give me the address where you are going today?
Me: (I gave him my friend's address where were planning to go if asked to quarantine. I had to take out my GTF paper to read the full address as I didn’t remember the zip code. At no point did the officer ask if it is our address or friend's address. So we didn’t mention anything about it).

Officer went back into the building. We were left on our own in the car for around 15 mins.
After 15 mins Officer 2 came out with a writing pad with our COPR and passports.

Officer 2: Have you read the entire document? (Pointing to the COPR which he had already signed)
Me: I have some time back (while giving him a confused look).

Officer 2 then explained each section of the COPR asked questions about drugs and criminal past and asked us to initial and sign. I did it for my daughter and myself. And my wife signed her COPR.

Me: We would like to go back to the US if possible after completing the landing.
Officer2: Yes I can certainly help with that.

He then stepped back into the building. Came back after 5 mins. Handed us the passports.

Officer 2: Your COPRs are stapled in the passport. You have completed your landing. You will receive your PR card at the address you provided in 6-8 weeks. You are good to go. To go back to the US you can go this way (pointing to the right) and take a right.
Me: We would like to also apply for SIN.
Officer 2: If I allow you to do that that I will have to ask you to Quarantine.
Me: Both me and my wife are vaccinated. Can we be exempted from quarantine?
Officer 2: Your daughter is not. Everyone under 12 year old have to quarantine.

I knew that I could create SIN online so didn’t push this further.

Me: I also have a Goods to Follow List that I would like to validate.
Officer 2: We will take care of it when you arrive here permanently.
Me: Can we travel to Canada till we get our PR card.
Officer 2: You can use your COPR to travel via land. For flight you will need your PR card.

We thanked the officer. And took the U turn towards the US. During the entire time, we were in our car. This was different from other experiences I read where people had to go inside the building. We were back on the US side by 11:20.

Back in US
At the US checkpoint, we handed over the documents to the CBP officer. He took our passport with expired visas and I797 with I94. I asked that we want use Automatic Visa Revalidation. He spent few minutes looking at the documents. He then asked for vehicle rental information. Crossed checked the vehicle license plate. After that handed us our documents back with orange slip and asked us to go to secondary inspection site.

The secondary inspection site was empty. There were three officers (one lady and two men). Lady officer asked us to take seat while continuing to chat with another officer.

After 5 mins she called us.

Officer: Why we are here? Give me your passports and the orange slip.
Me: We would like to use Automatic Visa Revalidation to enter the United States (while handing her the passports and I797 and orange slip)
Officer: (while making a confused face) I don’t think we do that here unless you are a Canadian Permanent Resident. Are you a Canadian PR?
Me: (now I was confused) yes we became PR 30 mins back.
Officer: show me your PR card?
Me: I have a Validated CoPR in my passport.
Officer: What is CoPR? (But opened the stapled CoPR document in my passport. Reviewed it for my wife and daughter as well.) I will be right back.

She went inside with all documents to probably check our case with her boss. She came back after 10 mins.

Officer: Ok I will take care of you. I will process you first (pointing to my wife)

Called my wife, took biometrics and finger prints. Asked her to sit down.

Officer: (looking at me) your visa expired in 2018. How can you enter without a valid visa (rhetorical question).

After this, she again called her boss on phone. For almost 10 mins she kept asking how can they enter with expired visa, how many times can they enter. Is there no limit and so on? We were now very tensed due to the questions she was asking on phone. Suddenly we saw another officer come in from back room (later figured it was her boss). He called me to the counter.

Boss: You are a Canadian PR. Why are you going to United States?
Me: I am going to work for my employer in United States till the date my petition is valid.
Boss: But you are a PR. Can you even do that? Won’t you loose your PR if you work in the US?
Me: We plan to work till the validity of my petition and then move to Canada permanently. I have 3 years till I can stay out of the country (Canada) before I have to move permanently.
Boss: (to me) ok you can take a seat.

He gave the officer a shrug and a look and then left. Officer continued processing. After 5 mins she called me. Took my photo, fingerprints. And then said she cannot issue a new I-94 since we already have one, but will add it to CBP records. Then she asked me to take a seat. After another 5 mins, she handed us the papers and we were on our way. We were back in our car and on the road by 12:15.

It took us almost an hour and a half to be in and out of the tunnel. In the hindsight, we got an officer, on the US side, who had no clue about AVR and was being extra diligent. We were relieved to be back in the US and really happy that we successfully finished the softlanding. This was a huge stress for us for the last few weeks and finally this was all over.
This is super helpful! Thanks! Could you let us know which car rental you used? I booked Thrifty but couldn't get a clear answer on whether I am allowed to drive the car across the border.

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
This is super helpful! Thanks! Could you let us know which car rental you used? I booked Thrifty but couldn't get a clear answer on whether I am allowed to drive the car across the border.
I used enterprise. Just tell them when you are picking the rental car that you will be crossing the border into Canada. They will put a stamp on the Rental car receipt/document.

Reactions: ARookie

MST555

Jun 16, 2021
I wanted to update the thread that last week I got an email from IRCC that my PR card has been dispatched. It's been around 6 months. Also, my wife and kids' PR card is still under processing.

Kandi Vindya

Jan 2, 2022
Hi,can u pls suggest me which border can I use for soft landing....right now we are staying in Kentucky.and in my Copr it was mentioned as Montreal is the destination place...

shr89

Jul 1, 2019
I am not a provincial nominee but on my CoPR it says Prov. of Dest. as Ontario and City of Dest. as Toronto. Can I do a soft landing at a different Province and City? I am in California so I wanted to do it at the Peace Arch in BC.