+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2023 - Canadian Passport Applications

e_ash

Jun 24, 2019
Hi all,

Starting a thread for folks who are applying for Canadian passport in June/July 2023 to get an idea about processing times and/or update on old or new version of the passport.

On a side note, can anyone clarify what the exact requirement is for the guarantor? Do they have to have applied for their own passport? eg. if someone got their passport through their parents, do they count as a guarantor?

long_road

May 12, 2023
As long as they meet these requirements, your guarantor can be anyone, including a family member or member of your household.

Although most of the guarantor section on the form can be completed by you or your guarantor, the following 4 fields must be completed by your guarantor:

• Signature of guarantor
  • Signed at
  • Date
  • I have known the applicant for (number of years)

In addition, your guarantor must

• write on the back of 1 of the passport photos “I certify this to be a true likeness of (your name or your child’s name)”
    • They must also sign the back of the same photo.
  • for an adult application, sign and date the photocopies of each supporting identification document (ID)you submit to confirm your identity
    • This only applies to photocopies of ID and is not needed if you submit original documents.

Your guarantor can’t charge you money for this. You also can’t help the guarantor do any of the tasks listed above. Contact us if your guarantor needs help.

Guarantor requirements for a regular (blue) passport submitted in Canada

Your guarantor must

• have known you for at least 2 years
    • If the guarantor is for your child’s passport, they must have known you for at least 2 years and must know of your child.
  • be available if we need to contact them
  • be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older
  • provide the information needed from their passport
  • have been 16 years of age or older when they applied for their own passport
  • hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that, on the day you submit your application, is
    • expired for no more than 1 year, or
    • valid, meaning it isn’t or wasn’t
      • expired
      • damaged
      • inaccessible
      • suspended or revoked
      • reported lost or stolen
      • found and returned
      • destroyed by us
      • requested to be returned

If you’re the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of a child, you cannot sign as guarantor on the child’s application. However, the other parent or legal guardian (not submitting the application) can sign as long as they meet the requirements.

e_ash

Jun 24, 2019
yes, really want to know about that !!
I went to Service Canada office in Oshawa to apply for passport - July 14. Booked an appointment but realistically didn't need one. No line and was done in about 20. mins. Will probably get the old version as I've heard they will roll out the new design late fall/early next year.

Reactions: Greninja

sujaysuresh27

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hi all,

Starting a thread for folks who are applying for Canadian passport in June/July 2023 to get an idea about processing times and/or update on old or new version of the passport.

On a side note, can anyone clarify what the exact requirement is for the guarantor? Do they have to have applied for their own passport? eg. if someone got their passport through their parents, do they count as a guarantor?
There is no mention that a guarantor should not have gotten their passport through their parents. The only clause is that the guarantor should have been above 16 years old when they applied for their passport. (This is the passport details you will be providing of your guarantor)

Greninja

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
I went to Service Canada office in Oshawa to apply for passport - July 14. Booked an appointment but realistically didn't need one. No line and was done in about 20. mins. Will probably get the old version as I've heard they will roll out the new design late fall/early next year.
yes, this is what I heard in the Service Canada. I will mostly get the old version of it.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Applied for passport for self and spouse in person at Hamilton passport office on Jul 17. Opted for mail delivery - given a date of Jul 31 for mail out. Will report where passport is issued and the version once received.