+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JULY 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

lovemydoggie

Star Member
Apr 29, 2020
I heard someone mention that the visa could be approved as little as two months after you pass the medical exam. Is this true? My husband already passed the medical exam and his file was moved to Ottawa in January.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I heard someone mention that the visa could be approved as little as two months after you pass the medical exam. Is this true? My husband already passed the medical exam and his file was moved to Ottawa in January.
It is true but realistically it's pretty rare. When they say '12 months' the reality is that means about 80% of files are done in less than 12 months - or at least that was the case pre-covid. You can look at the tracker spreadhseets to get a sense of how many are done based on months.

More important than the number of months is how simple the file is and other aspects like country; security checks are a very big wildcard and eg US citizens have less trouble with this than, say, citizens of North Korea.

Reactions: lovemydoggie

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020
Hi. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask, when IRCC requests additional documents, do they send an email? Or applicant has to check in GCkey account?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask, when IRCC requests additional documents, do they send an email? Or applicant has to check in GCkey account?
In my experience, they send an email - which may contain the full request or say that correspondence awaits you in your gckey account.

In other words, you probably do not need to check your gckey account just to find out whether there is correspondence for you. But I can't say whether this is always true.

Reactions: Pink567

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020
In my experience, they send an email - which may contain the full request or say that correspondence awaits you in your gckey account.

In other words, you probably do not need to check your gckey account just to find out whether there is correspondence for you. But I can't say whether this is always true.
Thank you so much. _/\_ This whole sponsorship process is so frustrating that these stupid type of queries keep coming in mind.

Last edited:

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020

One thing more, does ECAS shows that additional documents are requested??

lovemydoggie

Star Member
Apr 29, 2020
It is true but realistically it's pretty rare. When they say '12 months' the reality is that means about 80% of files are done in less than 12 months - or at least that was the case pre-covid. You can look at the tracker spreadhseets to get a sense of how many are done based on months.

More important than the number of months is how simple the file is and other aspects like country; security checks are a very big wildcard and eg US citizens have less trouble with this than, say, citizens of North Korea.
Thanks for your response! I realize that covid complicates everything :(

lovemydoggie

Star Member
Apr 29, 2020
Decision made! - 2021.3.10
Thank you all for great info sharing ever since! I believe your DM is incoming soon!

Biometrics Passed: done in 2019 for visitor visa
Application received:___2020.7.2
AOR:___________________2020.12.6
Sponsor Approval:_____2021.2.10
Moved to HK VO:______2021.2.12
Medical Request:______2021.2.13
AOR-2:_________________2021.3.2
Medical Passed:________2021.3.7
Pre-Arrival:_____________2021.3.8
Background start:______2021.3.9

Additional Docs requested: 2021.2.9
Docs sent via Web form: 2021.2.11
Docs Received confirmation: 2021.3.2

Thanks HK VO! HK is under harsh time now but still processing like light speed. Fight for freedom Stand with HKer!
Awesome news. Congrats! This gives me Hope :)

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

I received a request from IRCC for more documents for myself (the sponsor) to provide more proof of my time in China where I met my wife, including visas, proof of residency, and proof of entry/exits. I was able to track down a form from the local Chinese police station showing the registration for where I lived in 2018, and a copy of my visa from 2012 when I first moved there. I moved back to Canada in late 2019, and shortly after I had to get a new passport because my old one had some water damage. When I went to the passport office, I said I needed the passport back but they told me I can't get it back because it was damaged and had to be "investigated..." or something like that. I said I need the visas etc but they said it was too late and they wouldn't hand it back.

Basically all the "proof" IRCC is looking for was in that passport and in hindsight, I should have made copies of everything before I went to the passport office. So, I can submit a copy of my old visa from 2012 (I didn't meet my wife until 2017), registration from police station with my old address on it (dated 2018), a Chinese health insurance certificate (dated 2018), as well as some old contracts I had with the school (2015-2019).

Do you guys think that is enough info to submit? Is there a way of tracking down my old passport, or is it safe to assume it has since been destroyed? Anyone come across this yet? Surely Canada knows I was living in China for 7 years, no? It seems easy for IRCC to reach out to a different branch of government that would know, but I guess they want me doing a bit of leg work. I'm just worried of being refused because I don't have copies of my old visas and stamps from an old passport.

Thanks guys and gals

Babydoll2305

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
Hi everyone,

I received a request from IRCC for more documents for myself (the sponsor) to provide more proof of my time in China where I met my wife, including visas, proof of residency, and proof of entry/exits. I was able to track down a form from the local Chinese police station showing the registration for where I lived in 2018, and a copy of my visa from 2012 when I first moved there. I moved back to Canada in late 2019, and shortly after I had to get a new passport because my old one had some water damage. When I went to the passport office, I said I needed the passport back but they told me I can't get it back because it was damaged and had to be "investigated..." or something like that. I said I need the visas etc but they said it was too late and they wouldn't hand it back.

Basically all the "proof" IRCC is looking for was in that passport and in hindsight, I should have made copies of everything before I went to the passport office. So, I can submit a copy of my old visa from 2012 (I didn't meet my wife until 2017), registration from police station with my old address on it (dated 2018), a Chinese health insurance certificate (dated 2018), as well as some old contracts I had with the school (2015-2019).

Do you guys think that is enough info to submit? Is there a way of tracking down my old passport, or is it safe to assume it has since been destroyed? Anyone come across this yet? Surely Canada knows I was living in China for 7 years, no? It seems easy for IRCC to reach out to a different branch of government that would know, but I guess they want me doing a bit of leg work. I'm just worried of being refused because I don't have copies of my old visas and stamps from an old passport.

Thanks guys and gals
Hi. From what I can see you seem to have enough proof that you were physically present in China for the time period that you met your wife. I would write a covering letter with regards to the visas you had being in your old passport which is no longer in your possession. You could reference the passport office that you submitted it to when you renewed it (and they can follow it up if they so wish.) My advice to you is to pull up your original application and ensure that the dates on your application tie up with the dates on the documents that you do have. A typographical error can cause a lot of unnecessary stress. Hopefully this is helpful.

Reactions: armoured

Babydoll2305

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
Hi guys. Hope you are all well. Have a question. Has anyone who has not yet received and/or done Medicals gotten an update status on their CIC/GCkey account stating that IRCC are reviewing the results of their medical exam? I got that on my account as a status update. I definitely have not done a medical yet as am still waiting for MR. Don't know if I should be concerned about it. Any light on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi again just an update about 2 hours after posting this I received MR. Hopefully the others who are still waiting will receive something positive soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tintin1984

Shubhz

Mar 17, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I submitted my application in July 2020. Got AOR in Jan 2021. I haven't received any update since then. No Medical request / biometric request. The status is still 'In process'. Anyone in same boat?

Guriwar

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020
Hi,
In ECAS, PA side shows "Application Received". My husband got SA on 19 Feb 2021 without VO name.
Did anyone with the similar case call IRCC to get information about the Visa Office, that is in which VO their file has been transferred to?
TIA