+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

my_yute

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hello Admins - please update my status. I received my test invite today. Also, please update my processing office to Surrey.

App Delivered - July 17
AOR Received - October 2
In Process - November 1
Test Invite - February 12
Test Date - March 5
Test Centre - Surrey

Caitlyn T

Apr 21, 2019
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
I have a few updates for the spreadsheet, and I dont think I can update it...
Test invite: November 28
Test date: January 23
Decision made: January 23

Still waiting for my oath letter, but they said that could take a few months still at the interview. Let's just say my kiddo (who already has dual from birth) is excited for a Momma 2.0!

Caitlyn T

Apr 21, 2019
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
Hi everyone. Can someone share the test structure in Calgary? Where is it typically held? What time of day is it usually? How long is the full process (i.e. test, interview etc.)? What if the test date provided is inconvenient, can it be changed?
Test is held in the Harty Hays building and they have multiple tests on the same day. You'll get there, but may have to wait until they "close the doors and then reopen them" to essentially start the next session of tests. The guard was really nice and informative. My exam was at 10:16 and I was out by 11, including interview. They have us a 30 minute test time, which I think would be standard.
With regards to rescheduling, I'm not 100% on that as I was able to make it work for me...
Study from the book and you'll be set!

Caitlyn T

Apr 21, 2019
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
Test is held in the Harty Hays building and they have multiple tests on the same day. You'll get there, but may have to wait until they "close the doors and then reopen them" to essentially start the next session of tests. The guard was really nice and informative. My exam was at 10:16 and I was out by 11, including interview. They have us a 30 minute test time, which I think would be standard.
With regards to rescheduling, I'm not 100% on that as I was able to make it work for me...
Study from the book and you'll be set!
Harry Hays... dang autocorrect!

haggisbasher

Feb 12, 2020
Hi everyone. Can someone share the test structure in Calgary? Where is it typically held? What time of day is it usually? How long is the full process (i.e. test, interview etc.)? What if the test date provided is inconvenient, can it be changed?
Hey Islandgirl

My Wife and I did the test in Calgary last month so I will share how it went for us.

Our test date was Jan 23 at 8:16 (yes that is the time stated on the letter) The test is conducted in the immigration dept on the second floor of the Harry Hays building downtown. They dont let people into the room till around 8 so there is a line up from about 7:30. Dont be late they will not let you in after a certain point (probably after the tests are handed out). Once they open the doors you go down the corridor to a reception desk where the staff confirm your invite letter and check your passport and ID, they will then give you an answer sheet for the test, you are directed to the room where an usher guides you to a seat based on whether you are alone or with family members ( you have to sit seperately if your with family) The room has a series of lecture theatre type seats with one in every three having a fold up desk section. After every one is seated they go through the rules no cheating, thirty minutes etc. tell you how to fill in the top section of the form and then they hand out the test sheets.

You complete your test and when you're done stand up and hand in your answer sheet to the staff at the front and leave the room you then join a line up back at the reception desks where you started and you will be called forward to an immigration officer for what is called the interview. I had a vision of a sit down in a room one on one while they grilled me but in reality it was just a reception desk where they told us our test result and asked to see our original docs, passports, driving licence and PR card. I had to sign a couple of sheets while she flipped through our ID and passports, The agent asked my wife a question about her work which i think was an english test rather than genuine interest. Then she said you will hear from us soon and likely it will be an oath invite, have a good day and we were out.

As to your questions I dont know if there is more than one test per day its the same room they use for oath ceremonies and there are often 2 or 3 of those per day so i dont think there are tests as often as that. Everyone I have spoken to from Calgary was scheduled at 8:16. I believe you can reschedule but I dont think you get a choice, I believe if you reject the date they just send you another.

Your time in the building will depend on how long you take on the test. My wife and I were in the building less than an hour, the test took me 2 mins and my wife 3 we both got 20/20 and the interview was maybe 5 mins. We were out first so we were first in line for interview if you take longer you would then have to line up for the interview, by the time we were done the interview there were 6-8 people in line there were maybe 50-60 people testing that day so obviously if you take the whole 30 mins on the test you will likely have to wait a while for the interview.

The time on the interview will depend on your application complexity and your history. We have been in Canada 12 years and only left twice in our qualifying time and both to the US for vacations. We are native English speakers so dont have to deal with IELTS scores or anything. I dont know your situation but I consider our experience to be the easiest it could possibly be. I am sure there are other people who have gone through it with different circumstances and experiences.

If I missed anything let me know and I will add what I can.

Tom

1IslandGirl

Jun 8, 2017
Hey Islandgirl

My Wife and I did the test in Calgary last month so I will share how it went for us.

Our test date was Jan 23 at 8:16 (yes that is the time stated on the letter) The test is conducted in the immigration dept on the second floor of the Harry Hays building downtown. They dont let people into the room till around 8 so there is a line up from about 7:30. Dont be late they will not let you in after a certain point (probably after the tests are handed out). Once they open the doors you go down the corridor to a reception desk where the staff confirm your invite letter and check your passport and ID, they will then give you an answer sheet for the test, you are directed to the room where an usher guides you to a seat based on whether you are alone or with family members ( you have to sit seperately if your with family) The room has a series of lecture theatre type seats with one in every three having a fold up desk section. After every one is seated they go through the rules no cheating, thirty minutes etc. tell you how to fill in the top section of the form and then they hand out the test sheets.

You complete your test and when you're done stand up and hand in your answer sheet to the staff at the front and leave the room you then join a line up back at the reception desks where you started and you will be called forward to an immigration officer for what is called the interview. I had a vision of a sit down in a room one on one while they grilled me but in reality it was just a reception desk where they told us our test result and asked to see our original docs, passports, driving licence and PR card. I had to sign a couple of sheets while she flipped through our ID and passports, The agent asked my wife a question about her work which i think was an english test rather than genuine interest. Then she said you will hear from us soon and likely it will be an oath invite, have a good day and we were out.

As to your questions I dont know if there is more than one test per day its the same room they use for oath ceremonies and there are often 2 or 3 of those per day so i dont think there are tests as often as that. Everyone I have spoken to from Calgary was scheduled at 8:16. I believe you can reschedule but I dont think you get a choice, I believe if you reject the date they just send you another.

Your time in the building will depend on how long you take on the test. My wife and I were in the building less than an hour, the test took me 2 mins and my wife 3 we both got 20/20 and the interview was maybe 5 mins. We were out first so we were first in line for interview if you take longer you would then have to line up for the interview, by the time we were done the interview there were 6-8 people in line there were maybe 50-60 people testing that day so obviously if you take the whole 30 mins on the test you will likely have to wait a while for the interview.

The time on the interview will depend on your application complexity and your history. We have been in Canada 12 years and only left twice in our qualifying time and both to the US for vacations. We are native English speakers so dont have to deal with IELTS scores or anything. I dont know your situation but I consider our experience to be the easiest it could possibly be. I am sure there are other people who have gone through it with different circumstances and experiences.

If I missed anything let me know and I will add what I can.

Tom
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is detailed and quite helpful.

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Hello Admins - please update my status. I received my test invite today. Also, please update my processing office to Surrey.

App Delivered - July 17
AOR Received - October 2
In Process - November 1
Test Invite - February 12
Test Date - March 5
Test Centre - Surrey
Congrats! I'm surrey too, had in process since oct 21. They seem to be all over the place. I hope to see my test letter tomorrow.

livingevening

Dec 2, 2019
I wrote my citizenship test on Feb 6th with 20/20. On the interview, the immigration officer looked at my passport and saw a lot of stamps in there, she asked the copy of my passport so she can verify my physical presence later on. I had a printout of all pages that I gave to her.

Today I received an e-mail from the citizenship office asking for additional info to verify my presence and they requested Entry-Exit record from the US, records of employment or paystubs for jobs I had in the last 5 years and (!!!!) Bank Statements for the last 5 years (!!!) are they nuts? it is 60 bank statements and I don't even have anymore an account with my first bank in Canada, my online profile expired many years ago and I don't think I can get any info on that.

Does anyone have any advice what to do with that?
In a similar situation here, the officer at my interview in Ottawa also requested a colour photocopy of my passports so she can verify my physical presence (would take her a lot of time to do it during the interview). I had 25 trips during my eligibility period. Went to Staples to make copies and submitted to her on the same say.

So far I have not received any request like your case yet.

AAALLL

Star Member
Nov 15, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
App. Filed.......
01-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Med's Done....
24-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2017
LANDED..........
02-05-2017
Wow so surprised! I got my test invite, march 07. In Mississauga. (Etobicoke Applicant here)

can someone update the tracker. Thanks!

Last edited:

my_yute

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Congrats! I'm surrey too, had in process since oct 21. They seem to be all over the place. I hope to see my test letter tomorrow.
Thanks simpsol! You're right, they seem to be all over the place. I was even looking at your timeline on the spreadsheet as guide to estimate when I'd get my test invite. I guess it depends on the efficiency of your case officer or their volume of work.

I hope you get your test letter soon. All the best!

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Thanks simpsol! You're right, they seem to be all over the place. I was even looking at your timeline on the spreadsheet as guide to estimate when I'd get my test invite. I guess it depends on the efficiency of your case officer or their volume of work.

I hope you get your test letter soon. All the best!
Thank you. Yes, it really depends I suppose. When I called to confirm the had my fingerprints, they said my background check and everything was done and just waiting for my test at Surrey. I guess they are making me wait due to my 35 page presence calculator. haha. Expected to have the letter today, but guess I get more time to study. I saw on a FB group that someone who applied the same day as me, got their letter at the end of January--for a test date of Feb 26. You are also getting a decent amount of notice. My coworker had 13 days notice. Good luck on the test!

my_yute

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
@simpsol22

I suspect that your letter may soon be on is way. This is my line 4 after I got the email Feb 12:

4. We sent you a notice on February 4, 2020 to appear and write the citizenship test on March 5, 2020............

Thanks IRCC for having me obsessively checking my ecas status 2x per day for the past 8 days when the test letter was already on the way.

Morale of the story? With immigration, patience is truly a virtue! :)