+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Joint credit card accounts and joint bank accounts, what about supplementary card?

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
I'm supposed to submit one of these bills according to the checklist: Proof of joint utility accounts, joint credit card accounts, joint bank accounts,.

I don't have any of that, all I have is a supplementary credit card my husband gave me which is linked to his own credit card. The supplementary card spending/info comes at the bottom of his regular credit card bill and is basically a part of his bill, so I will be giving them that bill.

Will this suffice or is it not what is being asked for? thanks

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
You started out by saying that you couldn't supply any other piece of evidence that IRCC gave as examples for this requirement so you really don't have any other choice, do you?

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
You started out by saying that you couldn't supply any other piece of evidence that IRCC gave as examples for this requirement so you really don't have any other choice, do you?
yes that’s true but I was wondering if I need to bother getting a joint bank account with my husband just to prove something . It’s an annoying process and we don’t like to have separate accounts anyways.
on our separate bank accounts it shows the same address on statements and plus the supplementary card . So was wondering if that’s enough or I have to bother with doing extra work...

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

Does anyone know if for bank and credit card statements, do they have to be official statements from the bank that are stamped and all, or can I just print them online by logging into online banking .

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
yes that’s true but I was wondering if I need to bother getting a joint bank account with my husband just to prove something . It’s an annoying process and we don’t like to have separate accounts anyways.
on our separate bank accounts it shows the same address on statements and plus the supplementary card . So was wondering if that’s enough or I have to bother with doing extra work...
Sorry meant to say that we DO want separate accounts

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Sorry meant to say that we DO want separate accounts
my partner and i have separate accounts. I don't think that will be an issue. we send e transfers to each other regularly, we ended up sending our etransfer statements which hundreds of transfers to each other for split bills etc.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
You should be happy to do extra work if it will help your application. What you are submitting is to confirm you two are in a genuine relationship and actually live together. You having a supplementary card is a good thing to submit, shows he has trust in you by putting you on his account. Having joint utility bills isn't a real common thing, I wouldn't worry about that. Provide other docs that show you both have the same address, drivers licence, cell phone bills, government ID's etc. Anything showing the common address will help your case.

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
You should be happy to do extra work if it will help your application. What you are submitting is to confirm you two are in a genuine relationship and actually live together. You having a supplementary card is a good thing to submit, shows he has trust in you by putting you on his account. Having joint utility bills isn't a real common thing, I wouldn't worry about that. Provide other docs that show you both have the same address, drivers licence, cell phone bills, government ID's etc. Anything showing the common address will help your case.
In our country in the UAE, our government ID's and drivers licenses do not have any addresses on them. So that's why I am not sure if I have to get a joint bank account. Our cellphone bills don't have addresses on them either! If they did, it would be so very easy to prove the same address. I suppose I should just be writing a letter to explain why I don't have this proof?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
In our country in the UAE, our government ID's and drivers licenses do not have any addresses on them. So that's why I am not sure if I have to get a joint bank account. Our cellphone bills don't have addresses on them either! If they did, it would be so very easy to prove the same address. I suppose I should just be writing a letter to explain why I don't have this proof?
Honestly, I’d feel pretty funny submitting the application without being able to directly satisfy that requirement. They give you a pretty broad set of options, so I’d want to have at least one.

You may as well be in for a pound on this process. The delay involved in getting a name added to a bank account is small compared to having additional scrutiny applied to your app or having your app sent back.

GautamSeth

Oct 27, 2021
Hi,
I am currently living in Canada on a visitor visa, and as per the checklist I can submit a Join Credit Card account statement as a proof of address for prenetly living together.
What I want to know is that is there a difference in a supplementary card and a join credit card account?
Because banks are not letting us open a join bank account, but I can be issued Supplementary card on my wife's credit card.
Would that be enough?

Thanks in Advance!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi,
I am currently living in Canada on a visitor visa, and as per the checklist I can submit a Join Credit Card account statement as a proof of address for prenetly living together.
What I want to know is that is there a difference in a supplementary card and a join credit card account?
Because banks are not letting us open a join bank account, but I can be issued Supplementary card on my wife's credit card.
Would that be enough?

Thanks in Advance!
I am not sure if there is such a thing as joint credit cards. I don't think a supplementary card shows proof of living together, you could be living in another country using the card. Statements only go to the primary cardholder who is responsible for the charges on both main and supp card.

You can open a bank account at some banks here as a visitor, RBC is one that I know of and use the same address as your wife.