26-05-2017
Passport Req..
30-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
12-07-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Hi all,

I've been living in Toronto for 9 months and have been working for 6 months. When I arrived here, it felt as if I was going to get a job quickly because of the amount of interviews I was able to get, but eventually it took me 3 months to find a job. At first, I thought I was probably doing something wrong in interviews because I was managing to get the in-person interview but I'd only pass the first, and sometimes second, interview. After asking for feedback and only receiving the usual "you did great but we found a better candidate", I finally got a job.

I did get a job in my field but at a very average and with poor work environment company, and I honestly think people don't really want to work there in the first place. Right now, I'm not even sure if this place is contributing to my resume/work experience, or the exact opposite, which is why I've started job hunting again.

Most newcomers I know that have found good opportunities in high profile companies, have been referred by someone else. I only know about one person in my field that found a good job by herself and after asking about her strategy, it was pretty similar to what we all do.

I just wanted to give some context to ask you these questions:
- Is it a waste of time to apply to big corps if you don't have an internal reference? (I've also heard that they give priority to their actual employees and they just post roles online because it's mandatory).
- Are there any other platforms besides meetup.com to network and meet people from your field of work?
- Can you recommend a specific recruitment agency that has previously helped you find a job?
- Besides banking and finance, what other industries do you recommend for a Marketing professional?
- Any tips to acknowledge and overcome the newcomer status in interviews? I understand if companies prefer someone who already knows the Canadian market, but there are many transferrable skills in my field. Is this something I should mention in interviews?

Thanks so much for all your help!

ramanbhatti

Mar 16, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-11-2018
AOR Received.
1-12-2018
Med's Done....
11-01-2019
Passport Req..
05-07-2019
Hello I am also in marketing field. I am web marketing expert (SEO expert). I am struggling for getting job offer from India. I know it's very difficult for getting one from here but can you could suggest me something? I am currently in the Pool with 417 CRS ( Retaking exam again and again). Please suggest me something.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Hi all,

I've been living in Toronto for 9 months and have been working for 6 months. When I arrived here, it felt as if I was going to get a job quickly because of the amount of interviews I was able to get, but eventually it took me 3 months to find a job. At first, I thought I was probably doing something wrong in interviews because I was managing to get the in-person interview but I'd only pass the first, and sometimes second, interview. After asking for feedback and only receiving the usual "you did great but we found a better candidate", I finally got a job.

I did get a job in my field but at a very average and with poor work environment company, and I honestly think people don't really want to work there in the first place. Right now, I'm not even sure if this place is contributing to my resume/work experience, or the exact opposite, which is why I've started job hunting again.

Most newcomers I know that have found good opportunities in high profile companies, have been referred by someone else. I only know about one person in my field that found a good job by herself and after asking about her strategy, it was pretty similar to what we all do.

I just wanted to give some context to ask you these questions:
- Is it a waste of time to apply to big corps if you don't have an internal reference? (I've also heard that they give priority to their actual employees and they just post roles online because it's mandatory).
- Are there any other platforms besides meetup.com to network and meet people from your field of work?
- Can you recommend a specific recruitment agency that has previously helped you find a job?
- Besides banking and finance, what other industries do you recommend for a Marketing professional?
- Any tips to acknowledge and overcome the newcomer status in interviews? I understand if companies prefer someone who already knows the Canadian market, but there are many transferrable skills in my field. Is this something I should mention in interviews?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Go on Linkedin. I have found that good to network with people in the specific industry. You should definitely mention any transferable skills in an interview. You need to sell yourself.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Hello I am also in marketing field. I am web marketing expert (SEO expert). I am struggling for getting job offer from India. I know it's very difficult for getting one from here but can you could suggest me something? I am currently in the Pool with 417 CRS ( Retaking exam again and again). Please suggest me something.
Unfortunately, most employers will not take the chance on hiring people that are not inside Canada, as they have to go through the LMIA process and there is not guarantee whether the person will actually show up.

Reactions: qureishi and scylla