+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jobs for which you need a medical exam

Rshah123

Nov 30, 2019
I have read Canada immigration website for all the details about jobs for which you need a medical exam (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html).

I am an international student and I want to work as a pharmacy delivery driver. This pharmacy is in a hospital. I tried hard to find this job which is up to 20 hours per week and I should start my job this Monday.

There is no condition in my permit that states that I am not authorized to work in health service field occupations, but I have not applied for medical exam till now.
Excuse me, for this job, should I apply for medical exam? Who is responsible for determining the need for doing medical exam? (Employer or employee?) My employer didn't want me to do medical exam, in this case should I do it and add an amendment to my permit? I am really disappointed because of the ambiguity in this rule.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot provide a specific answer but do you have direct contacts with patients ? As a delivery driver would maybe suggest not given assume the majority of your time is outside of the hospital..

Reactions: Rshah123

Rshah123

Nov 30, 2019
Cannot provide a specific answer but do you have direct contacts with patients ? As a delivery driver would maybe suggest not given assume the majority of your time is outside of the hospital..
Thank you so much for your answer.
It is supposed to go inside the pharmacy (one or two times per 8-hour shift) and get all the delivery packages and then deliver them to the patients who reside in different area of the city. The pharmacy is in the hospital but I think that it isn't a part of the hospital (it is a private pharmacy (Proxim)). As I should start this job tomorrow, I think that I should not accept this job position because probably (50%) it is against the rule and I am very concerned about it.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your answer.
It is supposed to go inside the pharmacy (one or two times per 8-hour shift) and get all the delivery packages and then deliver them to the patients who reside in different area of the city. The pharmacy is in the hospital but I think that it isn't a part of the hospital (it is a private pharmacy (Proxim)). As I should start this job tomorrow, I think that I should not accept this job position because probably (50%) it is against the rule and I am very concerned about it.
You are delivering to patients, i.e. coming into direct contact with sick people, so yes, you certainly need a medical.

Reactions: Rshah123

Rshah123

Nov 30, 2019
You are delivering to patients, i.e. coming into direct contact with sick people, so yes, you certainly need a medical.
Thanks a lot for your reply. In the rule it has been mentioned "Jobs that bring you into close contact with people", but I think that I will not be in direct contact with patients. I should deliver the medication to the specified address, and most of the cases I should put them in the post box, or I should deliver them to the receptionist, and even if I deliver to the person, the person who receives may not be the patient himself, and even if the person who receives the medication from me is patient, it doesn't mean close contact.

I searched "close contact" and saw
https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/close+contact
close contact
Epidemiology Any person who has been in intimate contact for a period of time with a person with infectious
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
close contact
In public health and infectious diseases, anyone who repeatedly and regularly shares the living space of someone with a contagious disease.
Patient care
The sharing of body fluids and blood with another person constitutes close contact, as does the bathing, clothing, and toileting of the sick person. Close contacts with contagious people may need prophylactic treatment, quarantine, or observation to ensure their health and the health of others. Those who have casual contact with a sick person typically do not require these measures.

Last edited: