+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jobs for Naval architect in CANADA

Ajju

Apr 7, 2019
INDIA
NOC Code......
Hello,

I am pursuing my Ph.D in Naval architecture in India and I have no experience on the same but have done Research assistant ship and became eligible to apply for PR. I have Master degree in the same. I am in process of applying PR and my CRS is 469. Will I be able to get a job if I once i get PR. I am ready to start my career at any level.

Requesting experienced persons to help me out...

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Hello,

I am pursuing my Ph.D in Naval architecture in India and I have no experience on the same but have done Research assistant ship and became eligible to apply for PR. I have Master degree in the same. I am in process of applying PR and my CRS is 469. Will I be able to get a job if I once i get PR. I am ready to start my career at any level.

Have you checked for jobs on websites such as LinkedIn or workopolis ?
Only you know your skills and can find the right jobs. I would recommend doing research on these websites to get an idea on available jobs in Canada . It will also give you an idea on which provinces would have the jobs that you are looking for..

Ajju

Apr 7, 2019
INDIA
NOC Code......
Have you checked for jobs on websites such as LinkedIn or workopolis ?
Only you know your skills and can find the right jobs. I would recommend doing research on these websites to get an idea on available jobs in Canada . It will also give you an idea on which provinces would have the jobs that you are looking for..
Hai. Thanks for your response. Yes I have found some jobs but seems like little experience like one or two years. But I assume my Ph.D can over rule it. I am ready to take any entry level jobs with any salary inorder to kick start my career. Kindly help me out In this Pls.....

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Hai. Thanks for your response. Yes I have found some jobs but seems like little experience like one or two years. But I assume my Ph.D can over rule it. I am ready to take any entry level jobs with any salary inorder to kick start my career. Kindly help me out In this Pls.....
Since you haven't applied for PR, I would recommend doing that first and the research for jobs. It is next to impossible to get a job in Canada when you are in the country yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is a very narrow field with only one big employer (maybe 2). Think this is a situatiom where you need to look at employment opportunities around the world before deciding to immigrate somewhere.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
PhD will never substitute for experience. Your doctorate will probably make it even harder to find a job.

Ajju

Apr 7, 2019
INDIA
NOC Code......
PhD will never substitute for experience. Your doctorate will probably make it even harder to find a job.
I'm ready to join entry level jobs to kick start with. I searched few job websites to understand the situation where i was able to find some opportunity for freshers. There are only three universities in the country which offer this course. I would like to know that will i be given preferences based on PR. and what if i want to switch provinces.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

The problem with the field you have is that much of the work comes from defense industries/government.
Most of the companies related to your field will be found in Ottawa however other than the skills and experience there is something which is required for such jobs is called security clearance.

There are 3 kinds of security clearance
- Reliability - Requires 5 years residency in Canada before applying, if any company applies for you before that you will need to submit police certificate of past countries where you lived, if those countries are non NATO i.e. India than you will need to undergo an interview and it takes more than a year to get interview slot. This is the reason employer don't apply for reliability clearance for people with less than 5 years history. You cant apply yourself.

- Secret - This has an absolute 10 years residency requirement in Canada before it is applied by the recruiter or company. You wont be able to get this one anyways. It takes a 1-2 years to process

- Top Secret - This again has 10 years residency requirement in Canada so you wont be able to get this one. It takes a 1-2 years to process

My understanding is that you cant get processed for Secret directly any ways and it has to be Reliability > Secret > Top Secret.

I have been in the same boat in past and I can tell you that anything which has to do with "such jobs" are actually not meant for people like us :)

Reactions: canuck78

Ajju

Apr 7, 2019
INDIA
NOC Code......
The problem with the field you have is that much of the work comes from defense industries/government.
Most of the companies related to your field will be found in Ottawa however other than the skills and experience there is something which is required for such jobs is called security clearance.

There are 3 kinds of security clearance
- Reliability - Requires 5 years residency in Canada before applying, if any company applies for you before that you will need to submit police certificate of past countries where you lived, if those countries are non NATO i.e. India than you will need to undergo an interview and it takes more than a year to get interview slot. This is the reason employer don't apply for reliability clearance for people with less than 5 years history. You cant apply yourself.

- Secret - This has an absolute 10 years residency requirement in Canada before it is applied by the recruiter or company. You wont be able to get this one anyways. It takes a 1-2 years to process

- Top Secret - This again has 10 years residency requirement in Canada so you wont be able to get this one. It takes a 1-2 years to process

My understanding is that you cant get processed for Secret directly any ways and it has to be Reliability > Secret > Top Secret.

I have been in the same boat in past and I can tell you that anything which has to do with "such jobs" are actually not meant for people like us :)
Hai. Thanks for your response. I would like to tell you that i came across few companies in Halifax, NS and Vancouver in BC have similar jobs in shipyards and naval design consulting firms. I could see some entry level openings in these companies for such positions. I do understand the difficulty in the field. but will that not give me an edge to get a job. I am ready to work for basic salary too.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hai. Thanks for your response. I would like to tell you that i came across few companies in Halifax, NS and Vancouver in BC have similar jobs in shipyards and naval design consulting firms. I could see some entry level openings in these companies for such positions. I do understand the difficulty in the field. but will that not give me an edge to get a job. I am ready to work for basic salary too.
Happy for you that you are not losing hope but having lived here for 3 years I can tell you that even though you don't get a job in your field Canada is still worth a try, there are many hidden opportunities which you are unware of, they only come into picture when you put your foot in ground.

There is a one guy Andrew Aziz who has a PhD in Chemistry, lives in Vancouver, lost his job, started stock trading in US/CA markets and is now a famous day trader :) He also wrote a book.

Worst case scenario you can be eligible for citizenship in 3 years time :)

Ajju

Apr 7, 2019
INDIA
NOC Code......
Happy for you that you are not losing hope but having lived here for 3 years I can tell you that even though you don't get a job in your field Canada is still worth a try, there are many hidden opportunities which you are unware of, they only come into picture when you put your foot in ground.

There is a one guy Andrew Aziz who has a PhD in Chemistry, lives in Vancouver, lost his job, started stock trading in US/CA markets and is now a famous day trader :) He also wrote a book.

Worst case scenario you can be eligible for citizenship in 3 years time :)
Could you give me some tips for searching jobs?? Will some kind of consultancy/ job agency can fetch your dream job/any job??

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Could you give me some tips for searching jobs?? Will some kind of consultancy/ job agency can fetch your dream job/any job??
I have always done it through indeed.ca , make your resume and put any Canadian address on the resume. if you are in india you can get a DID number from skype or majicjack or fongo etc, they will give you Canadian # which will be ported to a software on your smartphone (works through data or wifi).
You can start applying after you get your PR and before moving to Canada. Recruiters will call you on your number so you can tell them that you will be there in next few days etc. and can do phone and video interview if that's required right now.

Also make your CV and put up in an account on monster.ca , some recruiters search monster database also. Most job agencies would not like to work with new comers as they are least preferable with employers and agencies want to close the headcount ASAP so they can get their commission. You should know the difference between permanent job and contract e.g. I know a guy who made fake CV saying he has 4 years work experience in Canada , when the recruiter called him salary was mentioned but that guy asked recruiter is that before tax or after tax? and the recruiter straight away told him that you are lying and you are new to this country :D .. so make sure recruiter is confident on what you speak.

if you have any more questions always feel free to private message me.

Aug 29, 2020
hello, I am Tapan Khandelwal from India. I also completed my B-tech, GME, and M-tech in naval architecture, and I also have 1.5 years of experience in the shipping field, already completed sailing in the offshore vessel as well as the main fleet too. So now I want to start my carrier in the ship design sector. So please give me an opportunity in ship design companies.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with @ciscoccie that although these jobs are primarily based on Canada’s coastlines and mostly in the Maritimes the big employer of these shipping firms are the Canadian government. Security clearance will likely be a concern and jobs are really dependent on government spending. Canada is definitely not a huge base for shipping. As someone with a PhD you will often struggle getting an entry level job because you will be seen as overqualified. You really need to be speaking with people in the Canadian shipping industry about the possibility of employment.