Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
I know that this issue has been raised before and I am not the only one, but the job search process here in Canada can be a dilemma.

When I apply for jobs requiring a university degree I am told that they do not recognize degree acquired overseas. When I apply for blue collar jobs or office assistant jobs requiring at least Grade 12 or Adult Basic Education, I am told I am overqualified.

What do I need to do about this situation?

1) Do I just go back to school and study, get at least a diploma or certificate from a school here in Canada?
2) Do I omit that I have a university degree? If I do that how do I explain the number of years that I studied? Do I just say I didn't do anything? That would be quite unbelievable and I don't want to lie by omission.

I know my resume is good already because if otherwise I will not be called for interviews, and during the interview I make it a point to tell them I am willing to start fresh and work my way up becuase I am newcomer to Canada. But so far no positive results. Also, is it harder to secure a government job?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks! :)

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
it pretty much depends a) in what area you were trained in and b) what your long-term strategy is (job and geography).

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
I have an Actuarial Science degree but I did not really pursue that career path. I have work experience in human resources, administrative, payroll, procurement, labor relations and event management.

I am currently living in Saskatchewan, no plans of moving since we got PR under provincial nominee program. I have been applying for Administrative/clerical jobs, and want to make it a starting point for my career here in Canada then may be work my way up from there. I am planning to enroll in online courses to update my skills or study to be an accountant once I am earning money but that could be a year or so from the day a start working.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Rubyalabar,

What you are experiencing is a common problem for immigrants. A quote from U. of T Sociology professor Jeffrey G. Reitz sums it up this way in a recent journal article "When they [immigrants] fail to get occupations for which they have specific qualification, they may experience even more barriers at lower levels, often being dismissed as “overqualified,” and find themselves obliged to take jobs for which there are virtually no skill requirements whatever. This is a major reason why immigrants more often wind up at the very bottom of the skill hierarchy."

Consider having your academic credentials evaluated for the Canadian equivalence which is easier for employers to understand and accept (www.wes.org is reasonably priced starting at about $110). If you do want to go for those lower skilled positions then it makes definite sense to target your resume to the skills and experience required (ie leave off the degree if you think it will rule you out of consideration). I know someone who took PhD off her resume in order to get an executive director position in a non-profit org.

Look into Career bridging, internships and mentorship programs which are helping skilled immigrants network and gain experience. Also the Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council (TRIEC) in my area is demonstrating some success in helping skilled immigrants get matched to employers and this program is being replicated in other areas across the country. I couldn't find any links on their site, but you might have more luck. Lastly check out Maytree Foundation to see if they promote resources in your area.

Google Saskatchewan Region Immigrant Employment and see if you find any resources. Best of luck! Allison

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
Thank you Allison! I will look into the organizations that you mentioned. :)

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd just taylor the resume to the position.

If they want grade 12, don't say you have a degree. If they want a degree tell them you have it... but not from where.

That should work fine.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with the last post. You need to have different types of resume for different job. Your resume for unskilled job, should have just one step or so above the requirement. Hence if they say high school, you can show you have a diploma. If they say, some high school, show you have a high school, if they say college, show you have university qualification.

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
I actually did that already and was called for an interview. But during the interview I was asked about what I did between graduating from highschool and landing my first job, so I told them that I studied at university. That's when I got the "you are overqualified" speech.

How do I deal with that question in the future, kinda hard to explain if I don't disclose that I have a university degree right?

But thanks RN and thezieglers for the suggestion.

RN said:
I agree with the last post. You need to have different types of resume for different job. Your resume for unskilled job, should have just one step or so above the requirement. Hence if they say high school, you can show you have a diploma. If they say, some high school, show you have a high school, if they say college, show you have university qualification.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ rubyalabar tell them yes I am overqualified but I still seek to gain valuable experience from your lovely company and definately see myself in this role for a long time.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
You may be able to disguise a gap like that by using a functional style resume instead of a chronological one, leaving the high school graduation date off your resume or listing university attendance for a period but not listing the degree earned.

But if asked the question, I think the best response is the truth and that you left university off your resume because it wasn't relevant to the position your were applying for and that you've found listing it has been a hindrance in finding work.

Newtone makes a good point. Some hiring managers will think your a likely to move on to another job more quickly if you are over-qualified which is a disincentive for them. If you can explain what interests/challenges you about the position, what you hope to learn as an employee, and/or express interest in ways you can "move up" from within the company you might be able to overcome that perception.

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
newtone and Allison, thanks again... I did tell them that I was willing to start fresh and will work my way up in a company that will hire me. I think what I said worked somehow since I just got a call for a second interview with the hiring manager who told me I was overqualified.

Good luck to me! :)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
rubyalabar said:
newtone and Allison, thanks again... I did tell them that I was willing to start fresh and will work my way up in a company that will hire me. I think what I said worked somehow since I just got a call for a second interview with the hiring manager who told me I was overqualified.

Good luck to me! :)
ABSOLUTELY. Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

canyeah_Can

Mar 1, 2011
Hi RN Just one quick question is it usually a 12 hr or an 8 hr shift for RN'S there. Typically most of the positions full-time, per-diem are 12 hrs in the US, is it the same there.