+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job search in Canada. How difficult is it?

yukiyuki111

Star Member
May 11, 2015
It is really hard to say whether it is easy to find a job or not. I can share some of my own experiences. I am a master graduate student from Canada, and I started an intern in one government agency, my major is in ecology, and it is a area really hard to find job. After I graduated I got the job in the same agency, and yesterday I landed and become a pr.
My husband, he is an engineering with a master degree from Canada as well, usually engineers is fairly easy to find job, however, he did job search for over 6 months, and then went back to school to continue his study. One of my friend, she has MBA from Canada, and she works as an admin for NGO for four years, now she's thinking about changing a job, she submitted over 50 application and get only one interview.
Maybe sometimes, there is "luck" considered in job searching. So my point is , if you know someone in Canada, or maybe linkedin will helps to get in touch with alumni. Go for that, sometimes the internal reference is fairly important. I took a course in my grad school, and we have a course tour to one gov agency and I attended that one, I really love the work place, so I asked the manager for her contact info, and later I contact her and indicate my interest in working there. two months later, she got me a student placement. before I graduate, she asked me if I ish to stay here , and I said yes, and I got the job. that easy.
Be optimistic and good luck for your job hunting!

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Hi Fatani

Thanks for your response. I never said I wouldn't accept something lower. I added my field because each market is different. IT is not the same as Marketing and Marketing is not the same as Finance and so on. I perfectly know it is illusionary to think you will get the same job as in your home country on day 1. You are going to work your way through. However, I believe everbody's aim is to somewhen get back into one's field.
I would like to read some first-hand experiences from people already living in Canada.

Anyone else who could share their experiences?

Thanks!
Totally agree. It is highly foolish to leave a good job in home country and do survival jobs in Canada. I am quite shocked when people say it is alright to work at McDonalds if you are not getting any related job. Obviously when we migrate to Canada we are looking to get job atleast at the same level of what we had earlier. Otherwise it is just a desperation to live in a developed country while being underemployed and frustated all the time.

My story. We recently received our PR. Both myself and my wife we are working in decent IT jobs currently. I have been applying to various jobs online through Indeed and LinkedIn and till now applied to at least 50 jobs very closely related to my job profile. i have got response only for a single job right now. It is a contract position for 6 months in a major bank. But it seems to continue with the interview process one has to be in Canada. Cause the guy was asking when I can be in Canada. So I believe once you are in Canada (have an address and Canadian phone number), there should be more response from employers. All the best.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
There are always both sides. However, my experience so far is very rough and tough. I have 12+ years of experience in Project management within ICT industry and so far applied hundreds of jobs and got 2 interview calls. 1 was unsuccessful because I do not have Canadian experience despite I have worked in many different countries and other one was due to - I m not sure, got a reply from the company and they said we found you very skillful but we are looking for cultural fit. Perhaps it would also referring to Canadian experience. Have done trying every possible way people have suggested including employment access, ontario employment service, access employment (there are two with EA and AE). Cold call, cold email, networking, meeting people, visiting office, etc. The list is long. Again, like I said - there are two sides. My friends have got jobs within 2-3 months in their field. However, I am still hopeful and not regretting for the decision though I had a very good life in past (in other countries including home country) because there are reasons too. If I take my job matter apart, I love seeing our kids enjoying the moment here and another hope for them a good life in coming days. So, it's not just an individualistic decision; more of a collective of many things. Thanks.

Atiq
Even I am working as a technology lead with around 10 years of exp in software development. My core skills are very niche and I can land very good jobs in my home country any day. But even I realized that it does not matter what clients/organizations you have worked with in past, Canadian employers simply review and reject your profile.. a lot! I just wonder, are they really serious in hiring someone ? I have 3 years of USA experience as well. They do not even consider that. And I am simply not sure why they consider only Canadian experience worthy while everything else does not matter to them.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

To everybody already living in Canada. How is the job market and how is the job search for newcomers? Read an article that the market is not that easy at the moment.

I'm intending to settle in Toronto and I work in corporate banking (bachelor level).

Any experiences? Any advices?

Thanks
I can't tell since I don't know how good you are in your job and how well you can communicate in English.

To be honest, It actually comes down to two factors only:
- Your competency
- Your communication skill (i.e. language)

If you have those two, finding job is like walking in the park.