Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
Hi friends...I am new to this forum...would like to know something abt the job scenario in canada for civil planning engineers..as for me,I am working in UAE..and i have applied for canadian immigration (PR) from india..It will be highly appreciated if anybody can suggest me which cities in canada have a high demand for civil planning engineers...and if engineers are likely to be included in the 38 skilled category list..
I am really impressed by the way members try to help out the new guys in the forum..hats off to you..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check some job websites to look at your options:

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/
http://www.eluta.ca/
http://www.monster.ca/
http://www.workopolis.com/

As for the list of 38, nobody knows. I could guess for you but there's really no point to guess. The list should be published soon.

A

adnan_hsn

Hi, and welcome to the forum. From my research on jobs in the field of engineering in Canada (as I work in the same field) I can suggest the Western provinces of Canada have a need for engineers (all sorts). Also engineering is most likely to be on the shortage list.

..BUT currently working for a British engineering firm and seeing the negative developments taking place in the industry due to the recession and falling oil/real estate prices I have also known of our Canadian peers (the engineering companies operating in Canada) pulling out or suspending a lot of projects previously planned for the near future, and as a result they are shrinking jobs. Immigration to Canada in the current environment has got to be a very careful move than previously considered because no one wants to move to a country to be unemployed.

ghiaskhan

Canada is still better than E..U countries and the United states. Unemployment there is still lower than many G7 countries.The current financial condition is a world wide epidemic, developed,developing and underdeveloped all are facing it .Canada is alo effected,but least.

Job hunting is a job itself. When you are in the country job finding becomes easier as compared to applying from abroad. adnan_hassan is right to say westtren provinces have lot many prospects for engineers, but those who have easier approch shall get these jobs not people yet unable to immigrate. Employers tend not wait for people seeking work permits and immigration.

There are very few people who are successful in getting jobs before their immigration is finalised. Quite a lot many people who are migrating to UK face a lot of frustation in hunting jobs. Where ever you go, things are newer to you so you do face difficulties. You might have read on this forum that immigrant doctors are working as nurses, Engineers had been unable to ge jobs in their own profession. I read in one Canadian news paper that more than 20 doctors were driving taxis, aeronautical engineer had been woking as a junior bank employee. It also mentioned that a large number of doctors, Engineers and highly qualified professionals had changed their professions because they were unable to get appropriate jobs in accordence with their qualifications.

So you have to be ready to face any eventuality, Good luck to all. Think of the worst but hope for the best

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have met a couple of engineers here. Their licensing issues are not as bad as for doctors but they still have to take some tests to qualify. One lady told me 12 tests, she had been in Canada for 2 years and had already taken 6 of them. Probably she could have done it faster but she had a full time job and a family so she was doing this in her spare time. She was working as a draftsman in the meantime. A guy I met told me that he came as an FSW and settled in Toronto where he had family but couldn't find a job there. Worked as a security guard for 6 months, then got a job in AB as an engineers assistant and was also working on his licensing.

There's a pretty good site at http://www.workdestinations.org/home.jsp?lang=en to find out licensing requirements in different provinces or find occupational associations.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course. People should have as much information as possible before they make an important decision like immigrating. Take what they can from this board but also do their own research. If licensing for certain professions is required, they need to know that too as well as how hard or easy it is to get licensed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try the job search websites I posted at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/job-scenario-in-canada-t12110.0.html;msg45864#msg45864 and see if you find something there.

ghiaskhan

Why do'nt you consider doing your Ph.D in Canada. You will be able to immigrate under provicial nominee programmes or Canadian Experience class . It will be rather easier to shift to Canada as students and do job hunting during your studentship. You will be able to build repot with many people during the course of studies, and you will of course be able to get fellowship/ lecturer ship.

ghiaskhan

There is no doubt Canada is a huge country with lots of unspent wealth and natural resourses. Its wealth will remain its strength because its not an over populated country. Canada wants immigrants to share its wealth, but to extract gold from the goldmine, you should be prepared for unknown efforts you will have to undergo.