+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Safety while working on BOWP

neo26

Jan 12, 2016
I am currently on intra-company transfer assignment (from India to Toronto). Due to some organization change the company is now planning to send
me back to India. But I am not willing to go back due to multiple reasons. My PR is currently in process (applied in Sept 2014 and applied from Canada) and I right now have a BOWP valid till Oct 2016.

To continue living here, I am considering to leave my current job and find a job elsewhere (on BOWP) but I do not know how secure it is in the current job market ? Doubt is what if the new company fires me after 3-4 months and I become jobless. Without a PR I will have no support.

Also, can I get a permanent job position based on BOWP ?

Forum members please advise as this is a very tensed situation for me and I do not have much time left. Thanks in advance.

sonnenstern

Star Member
May 22, 2014
I have received a permanent offer while on BOWP. Of course they had all my immigration information and knew that I had applied for PR and at the time I had already passed the medical test, so it was likely my PR would go through. So yes, it is possible I guess.

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
neo26 said:
I am currently on intra-company transfer assignment (from India to Toronto). Due to some organization change the company is now planning to send
me back to India. But I am not willing to go back due to multiple reasons. My PR is currently in process (applied in Sept 2014 and applied from Canada) and I right now have a BOWP valid till Oct 2016.

To continue living here, I am considering to leave my current job and find a job elsewhere (on BOWP) but I do not know how secure it is in the current job market ? Doubt is what if the new company fires me after 3-4 months and I become jobless. Without a PR I will have no support.

Forum members please advise as this is a very tensed situation for me and I do not have much time left. Thanks in advance.
Don't leave your current job and search for new one. Get a job first and then resign from current one. Don't restrict yourself to Toronto look all over Canada. Sure you will find one soon. Don't think someone is going to fire you for nothing. If your PR file is good then you should get PR by May (just some guess). As other person said, when you apply for job tell them you have work permit till Oct and currently your PR is in processing sure you will get the job.

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
neo26 said:
O in BOWP stands for OPEN - so yes, legally speaking you can find a permanent position with any company while on BOWP - I've changed jobs just a couple weeks after I got mine :p

vikasshr

Star Member
Oct 31, 2015
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03 Sep 2014
AOR Received.
16 Jan 2015
Med's Request
12 Feb 2016
Med's Done....
19 Feb 2016
Interview........
RRPF paid Upfront
Passport Req..
18 March 2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-Apr 2016
LANDED..........
30-Apr 2016
neo26 said:

I too left my job and got another job in Toronto after i got my BOWP.
May i know what is your skill set ?
based on that i can provide you some more helping tips.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neo26 said:

you can definitely get a job on BOWP, just inform the new employer that your current BOWP is valid until oct 2016, your PR file is under processing and if required you are eligible for BOWP extension.

mahendraaaaa

Star Member
Dec 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
AOR Received.
05-09-2014
Med's Request
01-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
18-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-12-2015 (received 06-01-2016)
LANDED..........
10-01-2016 (received PR card 22-02-2016)
I Agree with all the answers above. But since none has answered how secure it is.

Basically, nothing is secure nowadays. If you are working at a very good and wealthy company, but you make them lose money, then there is no reason for them to keep you there.

I was fired multiple of times in the beginning of my career. One key that I can share is, if the company is small, small enough that they don't have an HR, then they can fire you anytime if they don't like you, i.e., the second day you work there. Therefore, aim for bigger companies. If that is not the option, then don't disappoint your employer at all.

deepak26v

Jul 14, 2015
I thank all the members who answered and provided me with valuable info. I hope this will help me make a decision about my career. All the best guys.