+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Relocating me from United States; What about Significant Other?

Kbatcho

Nov 19, 2018
Hello All,

My job is temporarily moving me to Canada to work for 1 year on an assignment in Montreal. I am curious to what procedures my Common Law Partner and I need to do, to have him relocate with me?

We are not married, and I was reading on passport he can only stay for 6 months. Is he able to piggy back off my visa, therefore he can stay with me? What forms will need to be done, and just any helpful information is welcome.

Thanks,
KB

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All,

My job is temporarily moving me to Canada to work for 1 year on an assignment in Montreal. I am curious to what procedures my Common Law Partner and I need to do, to have him relocate with me?

We are not married, and I was reading on passport he can only stay for 6 months. Is he able to piggy back off my visa, therefore he can stay with me? What forms will need to be done, and just any helpful information is welcome.

Thanks,
KB
How are you being relocated? What work permit will you hold?
As a visitor, 6 months is the default maximum entry period. He can't piggy back off your VISA but depending on the circumstances, he may be able to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit.

Kbatcho

Nov 19, 2018
How are you being relocated? What work permit will you hold?
As a visitor, 6 months is the default maximum entry period. He can't piggy back off your VISA but depending on the circumstances, he may be able to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit.
I am still not sure exactly what type, I am in the preliminary stages and will file for my visa through global services early January. I am in a rotational program where I will be in 4 countries over the next 4 years working in the oil and gas industry. My company will be taking care of my housing/relocation costs. I will get there June of next year, and leave the following June.