+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job reference letter without job duties/responsibilities

desiguy31

Oct 21, 2018
I managed to get a job reference letter from my previous employer, which includes all the key information, except job duties/responsibilities. My job title was "Software Engineer I". It matches the NOC 2173 category. Should I reach back to the HR asking to add job duties as well?

I mean, shouldn't Software Engineer title be self explanatory about the job duties? Software engineer duties should be same in every country. Or is it a strict requirement to have job duties/responsibilities in the letter, even if the job title is as common as software engineer?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
I managed to get a job reference letter from my previous employer, which includes all the key information, except job duties/responsibilities. My job title was "Software Engineer I". It matches the NOC 2173 category. Should I reach back to the HR asking to add job duties as well?

I mean, shouldn't Software Engineer title be self explanatory about the job duties? Software engineer duties should be same in every country. Or is it a strict requirement to have job duties/responsibilities in the letter, even if the job title is as common as software engineer?
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

desiguy31

Oct 21, 2018
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Thanks for the quick response!

Is 1-liner job duty enough or needs to be descriptive? They didn't give a sample letter in that link.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for the quick response!

Is 1-liner job duty enough or needs to be descriptive? They didn't give a sample letter in that link.
Do you see one liner job duties in NOC page?
Job duties are the most important part of the reference letter. Not enough/Not matching job duties are the most common reasons for rejection as well. Your detailed job duties must match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties mentioned in the Selected NOC page.

There is no set template for reference letter, as long as you have required information it will do your work. If you fail to provide job duties in your official letter then alternatively you can get the letter from a colleague on a plain paper with full contact info and get it notarized. But I must warn you, any alternative way will put your file on a hold for "review" by the visa officer which currently taking 6 months to a year. Be prepared mentally for this long wait if you chose this option. So it better you furnish the official letter as per the requirements. You can read this thread if you feel you won't be able to get official letter-
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/nail-the-challenge-of-getting-reference-letter-from-current-employer.397796/

Check other document's format as well from the link I've provided in previous post.