+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Offer - Process time and stages

dombili

Dec 13, 2018
Dear all,

One of my friends (he is Canadian) have a company(in Vancouver) and he would like to offer a job to my wife. She is very well educated, has a master's degree and has good professional experience.

But her past experience is not relevant to this job. Do you think it could be a problem?

- What is the process timeline to get a work permit?
- If she gets the work permit and starts to work, after how many years she can apply for PR?

Any other comments?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

One of my friends (he is Canadian) have a company(in Vancouver) and he would like to offer a job to my wife. She is very well educated, has a master's degree and has good professional experience.

But her past experience is not relevant to this job. Do you think it could be a problem?

- What is the process timeline to get a work permit?
- If she gets the work permit and starts to work, after how many years she can apply for PR?

Any other comments?
- Yes, it can be a problem getting a work permit approved if the applicant's past education / experience is not relevant to the job in Canada. However your wife can certainly try to apply.
- Your friend will need to start by getting an aproved LMIA. Assume this process will take 4 months.
- Once the LMIA is approved, your wife will then apply for a work permit. Processing times for the work permit will depend where you are applying from / your country of origin.
- How soon your wife can apply for PR will depend on her full profile. It's not possible to answer this question without knowing her full details and the details of the job offer in Canada.

Reactions: dombili

dombili

Dec 13, 2018
Dear @scylla

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding PR - our EE point was 460. Her English level is very good, has a master's degree, etc. But the problem is EE is not continueing.
Can she apply to CEC or other streams?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear @scylla

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding PR - our EE point was 460. Her English level is very good, has a master's degree, etc. But the problem is EE is not continueing.
Can she apply to CEC or other streams?
- She will want to increase her score if she is applying through Express Entry (either FSW or CEC). Both FSW and CEC draws are on hold right now. When draws restart, it's quite possible FSW and CEC draws will be held together which means she would need a high score to be selected. To qualify for CEC, she will need to wait until she has worked in Canada for a full year.
- She can also look into the PNP program of the province where she expects to be working.

dombili

Dec 13, 2018
Thank you scylla.

Will not she get extra points for having a job offer? Of course, we never know if EE/CEC will continue but if it will continue, with this extra point, I think she can be selected in the first draw. am I right?

PNP is difficult I guess and her job experience in Canada will not have any effect on it.

Are there other streams she can apply for PR? If everything goes well, she will work in Vancouver, BC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you scylla.

Will not she get extra points for having a job offer? Of course, we never know if EE/CEC will continue but if it will continue, with this extra point, I think she can be selected in the first draw. am I right?

PNP is difficult I guess and her job experience in Canada will not have any effect on it.

Are there other streams she can apply for PR? If everything goes well, she will work in Vancouver, BC.
Yes, she will get extra points if she has a job offer. There's talk of the CEC/EE program being potentially changed / restructured, so there's no guarantee she will be selected. It will depend how programs are structured at the time she qualifies and applies.

For PNP, she will need to investigate the BC PNP programs since that's where she will be working. In terms of other streams, BC PNP will be it. You'll need to dedicate time to researching the various streams under BC PNP.

First step for her employer is the approved LMIA. I would focus on that. Make sure the employer follows the job advertisement rules in the LMIA instructions. This is mandatory for the LMIA to be approved.