+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer from relatives / word of mouth?

bells24

Dec 7, 2017
Hi all. I have many relatives in Canada on both my husband's side of the family and mine. I haven't discussed our immigration goals with them since it's a bit of a lost cause right now (416 points).

I've been thinking about it and since some are (small) business owners and/or could potentially have some "pull" at their companies, would it be worth it to mention our plans incase they can help us secure a job offer? I understand that job offer rules are very specific and it's not like a company can suddenly decide to hire a non-resident just as a favor to someone, so is it worth mentioning? I don't want to put pressure on anyone.

Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Even if they can get you a job offer, the company will need to apply for an LMIA. The application needs to show why they aren't hiring a Canadian for the job. IRCC tends to be suspicious of small companies suddenly wanting to hire a foreign worker without a very good reason. If IRCC feels that the company is trying to give you a job for immigration reasons, they can blacklist the company from hiring any foreign worker for a period of time.

Reactions: bells24