+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer for Express Entry clarification

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I'm asking for a friend of mine who works here in Canada under a work permit.
So I see that now a valid job offer gives you either 50 or 200 points (in her case 50). She is currently working with the employer that she would like to get the offer from.

Question is : Can she do that with the employer she is already working with?

Also, could someone direct me to the exact procedure to obtain that job offer. I doubt that it is just an offer written and signed by the employer. What else should be done?

Thank you for your help.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I'm asking for a friend of mine who works here in Canada under a work permit.
So I see that now a valid job offer gives you either 50 or 200 points (in her case 50). She is currently working with the employer that she would like to get the offer from.

Question is : Can she do that with the employer she is already working with?

Also, could someone direct me to the exact procedure to obtain that job offer. I doubt that it is just an offer written and signed by the employer. What else should be done?

Thank you for your help.
Hi Anna,

Do you know what kind of work permit your friend has? does she have LMIA? In order to help her it is important to know this.

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She has an open work permit which I think falls under the category LMIA exempt.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If that's the case then she does not qualify for the points given for a valid job offer.

Only those applicants with LMIA or with LMIA exempt work permits which are employer specific (closed work permits) qualify for those points.

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about those people who do not have the permit? I mean this permit is limited in time and she applies for PR now. Why should the work permit be related to her future application?
I tried to find this info in CIC web site but it's not complete.

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes , this I have read and it is not very helpful.
I'll try to explain better.

I want to confirm the following.
This is according to CIC:

You should only answer “Yes” to the question “Does [your name] have a job offer in Canada?” if:

• a Canadian employer (or up to two for the Federal Skilled Trades Program) has offered you a full-time, non-seasonal job for one year or more and - he will
  • that job offer is supported by an LMIA, OR
  • the job is exempt from needing an LMIA. - it should be exempt from needing LMIA
Now this exempt part I am not sure because the below is the general rule for being exempt from needing LMIA:

For Express Entry, your employer doesn’t need an LMIA if you:

1. have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least one year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. have a valid job offer, and
  3. have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under - she has that
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement or
    • the “Canadian interests” category
Should she consider that a written job offer with all the needed info required will do without having to be LMIA approved?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes , this I have read and it is not very helpful.
I'll try to explain better.

I want to confirm the following.
This is according to CIC:

Now this exempt part I am not sure because the below is the general rule for being exempt from needing LMIA:

Should she consider that a written job offer with all the needed info required will do without having to be LMIA approved?
For Express Entry, your employer doesn’t need an LMIA if you:

1. have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least one year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. have a valid job offer, and
  3. have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under - she has that
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement or
    • the “Canadian interests” category
What is marked in red is the issue, she does not have a closed work permit and thus is not eligible for a valid job offer. She should forget about claiming those points unless her employer is willing to try LMIA.

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oh so ALL 3 points :) That's what I'm missing.

Thank you.