+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer extended but how can I stay?

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
OK so I am now in the EE pool, but my score not terribly high. My IEC visa runs out in 5 weeks and I am pretty sure I can't extend/renew this, though on CIC website it say you can in "very specific situations". My employer says she can now extend my job to a year's contract and will do anything to help. Can anyone advise on what I should do or research into? I've read about LMO but not sure if that is often given. Hoping for advice tonight, thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OK so I am now in the EE pool, but my score not terribly high. My IEC visa runs out in 5 weeks and I am pretty sure I can't extend/renew this, though on CIC website it say you can in "very specific situations". My employer says she can now extend my job to a year's contract and will do anything to help. Can anyone advise on what I should do or research into? I've read about LMO but not sure if that is often given. Hoping for advice tonight, thank you
To qualify for another work permit, your employer would first need to obtain an approved LMIA. As it costs $1000 (non-refundable even if refused), takes months to process and has very strict requirements, most employers are not willing to apply. Even if your employer is willing, it will be at least a month before the advertising requirements could be met and then several more months before the LMIA would actually be processed. You would be unable to work after your current IEC expires.

Reactions: TempResident

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
That was fast, thought I'd have to wait until later for an answer......that's really harsh but I get it. Thanks for advice, a lot of people say they can extend their IEC, but I thought was not right. That LMIA sounds complex. A bit of a sad end to a great time here but maybe scores might drop next year. Happy Christmas to all

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That was fast, thought I'd have to wait until later for an answer......that's really harsh but I get it. Thanks for advice, a lot of people say they can extend their IEC, but I thought was not right. That LMIA sounds complex. A bit of a sad end to a great time here but maybe scores might drop next year. Happy Christmas to all
What is your current CRS score? Have you maxed out your language points? Do you have the funds to take a course here in Canada? It could improve your score and allow you to get a PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IECs cannot be extended. You may qualify for another one depending on what country you're from.

You don't have enough time to go through the LMIA process (even if your employer was willing).

What job do you hold?

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Ugh sorry, a bit new to this.
I'm a Brit, photographer, score 421 as only worked for a year (here). Max language points but no French. Was thinking of a course but not many funds now!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ugh sorry, a bit new to this.
I'm a Brit, photographer, score 421 as only worked for a year (here). Max language points but no French. Was thinking of a course but not many funds now!
Unfortunately a second IEC isn't an option in that case. It's one time only and you've used up your participation.

If you want to go the study permit route, you'll need to show a bank balance of at least $25K to cover tuition and living expenses just to have the study permit approved. Also, May is the earliest you'd be able to start. So you'd be looking at a gap between the end of your IEC and the start of your studies where no work would be possible (part time work of up to 20 hours per week would be possible once you start your studies).

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
I don't have those $. Really frustrating, so have to return to UK and wait for slim chance of invitation. Thanks for good ideas though.

What is likelihood of that score being reached over 2018, or is that the big question everyone wants to know......

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is likelihood of that score being reached over 2018, or is that the big question everyone wants to know......
It's impossible to say. Anything you read on this forum is just wild guesses.