+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job lost on closed work permit

Alex Murray

Sep 4, 2019
Hello,

I need some guidance regarding my eligibility for BOWP and stay in Canada after job lost.

My employed laid me off recently while I was working with them on closed work permit (Inter Company Transfer). My closed "employed specific" work permit is valid until Nov 2022. I have already applied for PR and got AOR.

My questions;
1) Can I legally stay in Canada until expiry of my closed work permit?
2) Can I apply for BOWP now? considering my work permit is valid for more than 4 months and I dont have any other job offer in hand.

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. You can stay in Canada and not work.
2. You are not eligible for a BOWP because your permit must “have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less” as stated on the website.

Alex Murray

Sep 4, 2019
1. You can stay in Canada and not work.
2. You are not eligible for a BOWP because your permit must “have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less” as stated on the website.
Thanks for your quick help, Can you please help me with two more questions

1) In case of job lost is it mandatory to have 4 months or less expiry period or there are any exemptions to this rule?. I am wondering as it does not make sense. what would I do without job, it will be a burden on Employment Insurance.

2) Lets assume my work permit expiry is less within 4 months. Do i need job offer from employer to apply for BOWP?

thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

1) In case of job lost is it mandatory to have 4 months or less expiry period or there are any exemptions to this rule?. I am wondering as it does not make sense. what would I do without job, it will be a burden on Employment Insurance.

2) Lets assume my work permit expiry is less within 4 months. Do i need job offer from employer to apply for BOWP?

thanks
You can try applying for the BOWP now stating that you have lost your job. We have seen this work in some cases. Make sure you provide evidence of this in the application.

You won't be able to start working for a new employer until the BOWP is approved.

Reactions: Alex Murray

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

thanks
1. There are no exemptions. How will you be a burden as you live off your savings. Getting EI when you have been laid on a closed work permit is difficult to get as one of the conditions of EI is that you are available to work. You would not be so your claim may be denied.

2. No

Did you use points for PR - 50 job offer points?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can try applying for the BOWP now stating that you have lost your job. We have seen this work in some cases. Make sure you provide evidence of this in the application.

You won't be able to start working for a new employer until the BOWP is approved.
Poster said work permit doesn’t expire until November 2022, would he be able to apply with 16 months left on the work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. There are no exemptions. How will you be a burden as you live off your savings. Getting EI when you have been laid on a closed work permit is difficult to get as one of the conditions of EI is that you are available to work. You would not be so your claim may be denied.

2. No
I disagree with the first answer. We've actually seen several cases here where individuals managed to get BOWPs approved where a closed work permit had a remaining validity of longer than 4 months but where the employer had been released from the job. It's not a slam dunk by any means but it's worth a shot. People here have been successful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Poster said work permit doesn’t expire until November 2022, would he be able to apply with 16 months left on the work permit?
Yes, I understand that. I'm saying that while there is no formal exceptions to this rule that I'm aware of, we have in fact seen a number of cases here where people were able to get BOWPs approved under these circumstances (i.e. closed work permit, fired by employer).

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I disagree with the first answer. We've actually seen several cases here where individuals managed to get BOWPs approved where a closed work permit had a remaining validity of longer than 4 months but where the employer had been released from the job. It's not a slam dunk by any means but it's worth a shot. People here have been successful.
Good to know. Wonder if the person has used the points (50) for PR for a job offer.

Alex Murray

Sep 4, 2019

2. No

Did you use points for PR - 50 job offer points?
Thanks, I could be a big concern for me. Have you seen any case of EI being denied in this scenario? Can I say I am finding job and any employer can sponsor me Work permit while I am searching for jib

Also CIC site says “are ready, willing and capable of working each day”

please let me know your thoughts

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, I could be a big concern for me. Have you seen any case of EI being denied in this scenario? Can I say I am finding job and any employer can sponsor me Work permit while I am searching for jib

We have certainly seen refusals. Read through this thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/claiming-ei-while-on-closed-work-permit.165969/

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

The issue with a closed work permit is that you are not "ready, willing and capable of working each day." You can't get a job offer and start work now. If not on an open work permit, your employer needs a LMIA and then you need another closed work permit.