+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job interview testing before landing

Lillibet

Feb 20, 2018
Please can someone help? My husband and I have booked flights to land on 22nd February. However, my husband has received an offer to go for the testing phase of an interview, but this takes place on 2nd February. Is it possible for my husband to go to Canada alone for this testing before we ‘land’ together as a family on 22nd February? I’m the principal applicant so I have to land first I know that, but is he able to travel as a visitor before that??
Thanks,

Dothraki

Dec 19, 2018
Please can someone help? My husband and I have booked flights to land on 22nd February. However, my husband has received an offer to go for the testing phase of an interview, but this takes place on 2nd February. Is it possible for my husband to go to Canada alone for this testing before we ‘land’ together as a family on 22nd February? I’m the principal applicant so I have to land first I know that, but is he able to travel as a visitor before that??
Thanks,
Principal Applicant has to land with dependents or before dependents. Dependents cannot land first. Your husband can check with the company if they can re-schedule it for the dates when you will land in Canada or have an online/Video interview. another option is arrive earlier than the scheduled interview to Canada.

Lillibet

Feb 20, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately they can’t reschedule the date. It’s seems daft that he can’t enter as a visitor on his own. He’ll have to wait till we land to look for work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately they can’t reschedule the date. It’s seems daft that he can’t enter as a visitor on his own. He’ll have to wait till we land to look for work.
He can land as a visitor if he has a visitor visa. If you are from a visa exempt country he can apply for an ETA. Then he would have to land after you land in Canada at a border or make an appointment at immigration office. Border will be much faster option.

Lillibet

Feb 20, 2018
He can land as a visitor if he has a visitor visa. If you are from a visa exempt country he can apply for an ETA. Then he would have to land after you land in Canada at a border or make an appointment at immigration office. Border will be much faster option.
Hi,
Funnily enough I just found a similar thread you had commented on after I had replied to the last comment. We’re from the UK so visa exempt, we travelled to Canada in July 2016 with an eTA and they last for 5 years so I presume that will still be in place anyway? My husband is keen to try to secure work ASAP which is why he doesn’t want to miss this testing date (2nd Feb) despite already having booked and paid for flights for the whole family to ‘land’ together about 3 weeks later (22nd Feb). I had put an enquiry into the CIC to check because I was concerned if he books a fight and goes and then there are issues when he gets to Toronto.
The next problem will be if he gets through the first day he then would have to go through the second lot of planned testing days which finish on the day we land!! However, going off what you have just said presumably he could go again as a visitor a few days before, I can go as planned with the children and ‘land’ then book an appointment at an immigration office and meet there with my husband? It’s a lot to get your head around but hopefully we’ll get sorted.
Thanks again for your reply, it’s very much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Funnily enough I just found a similar thread you had commented on after I had replied to the last comment. We’re from the UK so visa exempt, we travelled to Canada in July 2016 with an eTA and they last for 5 years so I presume that will still be in place anyway? My husband is keen to try to secure work ASAP which is why he doesn’t want to miss this testing date (2nd Feb) despite already having booked and paid for flights for the whole family to ‘land’ together about 3 weeks later (22nd Feb). I had put an enquiry into the CIC to check because I was concerned if he books a fight and goes and then there are issues when he gets to Toronto.
The next problem will be if he gets through the first day he then would have to go through the second lot of planned testing days which finish on the day we land!! However, going off what you have just said presumably he could go again as a visitor a few days before, I can go as planned with the children and ‘land’ then book an appointment at an immigration office and meet there with my husband? It’s a lot to get your head around but hopefully we’ll get sorted.
Thanks again for your reply, it’s very much appreciated.
Only wrinkle is you might have difficulty getting an appointment and may have to go to the border.