+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job interview Process - How does it work

seanblythe

Jan 21, 2010
I'm interested in moving to Canada once I complete my studies in computing but I am wondering how the Job interview process works. I currently live in the UK so flying to Canada for a couple of interviews with no guarantee of getting a job hardly seems practical. Is it normal for interviews to be done over the internet via video link or something along these lines ?

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
seanblythe said:
I'm interested in moving to Canada once I complete my studies in computing but I am wondering how the Job interview process works. I currently live in the UK so flying to Canada for a couple of interviews with no guarantee of getting a job hardly seems practical. Is it normal for interviews to be done over the internet via video link or something along these lines ?
I doubted that any employer would do that as job market is not good in Canada so they would likely hire locals than foreigner as lots of paper work requirement for employer in order to hire foreign worker. It also depend on the job you are applying and the education you have. You might get phone interview depending your experience and education.

Marco000000

Jun 12, 2010
I had one initial job interview by phone, when I was living in the netherlands. After moving to Canada I was allowed to call the employer for a second interview. It is very hard to find a job and if you reply by e-mail, it is also hard, because you never hear something from the employer unless they are interested in you.

lands

Jan 28, 2010
Unless something changes or you are a highly skilled individual in a niche area...the possibility of you getting an interview is next to nothing...especially in IT..

prasanth76

May 1, 2010
lands... how about experienced people in IT. is the job market still tough... I heard market is picking up slowly... I am experienced guy with expertise in .net technologies..

what could be job opportunities for my technologies?

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many recruiters and HR people will screen all the submitted resumes and a very standard practice is to conduct 10-20 min telephone screening interviews. These often come unexpected and will be the first impression that you make to the employer -- so you better be ready.

If your resume is out in the job market anytime your phone rings could be a potential employer, so you better be ready. If you don't have an answering machine they may not try again. If your message sounds unprofessional - your first impression is made and they may not call again. If someone answers the phone and can't speak English, or help them - they will likely not call again. they often won't call back, because there are other options. The exception would be if you're being specifically targetting by them.

If you pass the screening call, it wouldn't be unusual to have a second indepth telephone call -if it's a technical company, it may be via Skype, or web-conference.

Many companies are saving the face-to-face interviews for candidates that are on their short list. They are trying to stream-line the process through telephone calls and only see top talent face-to-face.

So learn the Canadian marketplace, the rules, protocols of job searching in Canada, as each country has its own methods. You need to adapt to this market and understand the rules and expectations.

See: www. careego.com