+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job in toronto in finance/accounts field

gc_007

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Dear All,

I am going on a 3 year work permit to Canada.
My wife is a Chartered Accountant from India.
Need guidance on how to get a job in finance/accountinng field in Toronto for my wife.

Kindly help me.

Thanks in advance

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Your wife will need to meet Canadian Standards to work as an accountant here. I would contact the CGA group and ask them directly if no one else here knows.

http://www.cga-canada.org/en-ca/Pages/default.aspx

PS: Depending on your wife's degree, she may have to start over. This is an unfortunate truth in coming to Canada.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She will also need Canadian work experience as a Chartered Accountant. In fact her international experience as a Chartered Accountant might be a disadvantage because she dosen't have Canadian experience

gc_007

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks a ton for replies.
My wife has worked in India which is a sister concern of a company based in Toronto.
I mean the parent company of the company in which my wife has worked is in Toronto.

Can this be looked upon positively?
Will this increase her chances for gettign the job.

Thanks

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its hard to say, I know someone who worked for Nestle in Asia but Nestle Canada didn't hire him

Mevakesh

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
03-11-2012
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-08-2013
Hey,

There's some big differences on how things are done here and in that part of the world. She will definitely need to do some sort of courses here to get accustomed to the accounting (and taxation) culture in Canada. Being a CA, that shouldn't be hard. If she has experience with IFRS that should help her too.

Contact CGA and see what credentials they will let her transfer. Depending on how recent her credentials are, they will give her credit. Check out their website. Also look into, and contact CA, and CMA and get info from them as well.

In the mean time she could apply via agencies that specialize in finance/accounting jobs while she gets all that sorted. If she has working knowledge of accounting softwares, excel, etc., she should be able to get low level accounting jobs. At least get some experience going while you wait to get credentials sorted with one of the designation bodies.

You said Toronto, I got my first accounting job with Kieth Bagg Agency. You could contact them and check them out. I'm not sure if they accommodate people on work visas, but you can check.

gc_007

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hi

Thanks for the relpies again.

As mentioned in your post she might end up getting low level accounting jobs. What can be the salary level for such jobs.

Moreover are CA, CGA and CMA three differtent accounting bodies in Canada?

Among the three which body will be the easiest or least time consuming for becoming a member. And what be the salary levels once one becomes a member of any of these bodies?

Thanks

Jaleovej

Nov 29, 2012
Hi ,
I know it's very difficult to get a job in initial stage , but after sometime it's ok .if u want to persue ur carrier as accountant then it's very difficult , but if you want to persue your carrier it's easy , as my most of friend are doing . If you want to persue ur carrier in finance then you must contact one of my friend he is in finance industry . His email is gurshanz@yahoo.com.au . Send him email he will guide .
Thanks

KP1111

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gc_007,

i'm curious how she finds a job in canada as i'm looking for a job in the same field.