Passport Req..
July 16, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Hopefully by December 2012
jhun_nyor said:
To Sodapop,

I'll be advising you from my own experience...and hopefully this will brighten up your perspective.

I was exactlyin the same boat as you are almost a year ago in UAE
I am an IT professional with family status having good position at work, good salary and benefits, medical insurance,yearly vacation in our home country with free airfare.

Going to Canada needed a lot of research in your own field and being organized. Here is what I did.

1. I know I will be migrating to Canada so I need every cents I can save up (You really need load of cash...precautionary as well as being proactive).
2. I landed in Canada in 2010, applied for SIN and go back to UAE to continue working (SAVE UP) go back permanently in Sept 2011.
3. Apply for a Canadian drivers license!! - A handy MUST have thing for me (Need to research for it how I can obtain it as quickly as possible. (Got in it 1.5 month!) October 2011.
4. Bought a second hand car to be used when applying. ( I attend job fair 2 weeks after arriving in september and I also did walk in to drop off resume's.
5. I know that IT jobs are not regulated although I have an engineering degree. Nonetheless I researched and compile paper works to have my degree assessed just in case. Good thing about IT is that certifications are globally recognized (Cisco and Microsoft) + experienced counts.
6. Have a backup Plan. PLAN A, B, C... My Plan B is to upgrade my skill-set and go further study. (so far my Plan A was awesome!) Plan C...(Go back to UAE) <- don't burn bridges i think.
7. I know which Province I will be living so I totally focus and concentrate my search in terms of my career. ( I get the top 100 firms)..I applied close to 30 application. I got my 1st Canadian job after 2.5 Mo's (Nov 9, 2011) signed my offer letter.
8. So far I'm very satisfied on what I did to be successful in Canada. I got good position at work, good salary and benefits, 100% family medical insurance coverage which is huge! (medical+ dental + vision).

I thinks its not too late for you guys to prepare..If you think you guys are not yet ready

go with

OPTION2: land in Canada, then go back to KSA to save up then go back to Canada once financially stable enough to support yourselves living here + any road blocks you might encounter as others do.

PR status is valid for 5 years but for you to renew it you need to be able to accumulate 2yrs physical stay in Canada. So you are good at least 2.5 yrs out of Canada just to be safe =)

GOOD LUCK!!
Wow, that's very informative...thank you...now we really know what causes the delays in our application..we really have to save and save while we are still here....

nazrul02

May 13, 2012
Hello,
I'm service holder in bangladeshi my majority is Computer r,i look for a job in canada, if

sb can help me please send me a message.
Thank U!!!

asantosa

May 15, 2012
jhun_nyor said:
To Sodapop,

I'll be advising you from my own experience...and hopefully this will brighten up your perspective.

I am an IT professional with family status having good position at work, good salary and benefits, medical insurance,yearly vacation in our home country with free airfare.

Going to Canada needed a lot of research in your own field and being organized. Here is what I did.

1. I know I will be migrating to Canada so I need every cents I can save up (You really need load of cash...precautionary as well as being proactive).
2. I landed in Canada in 2010, applied for SIN and go back to UAE to continue working (SAVE UP) go back permanently in Sept 2011.
3. Apply for a Canadian drivers license!! - A handy MUST have thing for me (Need to research for it how I can obtain it as quickly as possible. (Got in it 1.5 month!) October 2011.
4. Bought a second hand car to be used when applying. ( I attend job fair 2 weeks after arriving in september and I also did walk in to drop off resume's.
5. I know that IT jobs are not regulated although I have an engineering degree. Nonetheless I researched and compile paper works to have my degree assessed just in case. Good thing about IT is that certifications are globally recognized (Cisco and Microsoft) + experienced counts.
6. Have a backup Plan. PLAN A, B, C... My Plan B is to upgrade my skill-set and go further study. (so far my Plan A was awesome!) Plan C...(Go back to UAE) <- don't burn bridges i think.
7. I know which Province I will be living so I totally focus and concentrate my search in terms of my career. ( I get the top 100 firms)..I applied close to 30 application. I got my 1st Canadian job after 2.5 Mo's (Nov 9, 2011) signed my offer letter.
8. So far I'm very satisfied on what I did to be successful in Canada. I got good position at work, good salary and benefits, 100% family medical insurance coverage which is huge! (medical+ dental + vision).

I thinks its not too late for you guys to prepare..If you think you guys are not yet ready

go with

OPTION2: land in Canada, then go back to KSA to save up then go back to Canada once financially stable enough to support yourselves living here + any road blocks you might encounter as others do.

PR status is valid for 5 years but for you to renew it you need to be able to accumulate 2yrs physical stay in Canada. So you are good at least 2.5 yrs out of Canada just to be safe =)

GOOD LUCK!!

jhun_nyor, may I know which province did you choose?
Did you choose it based on the IT jobs availability?

thanks

sam pk

Dec 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2012
jhun_nyor said:
To Sodapop,

go with

GOOD LUCK!!
well said

maxvol

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
nazrul02 said:
Hello,
I'm service holder in bangladeshi my majority is Computer r,i look for a job in canada, if

sb can help me please send me a message.
Thank U!!!
My friend you seriously need to do an English course before you decide to go anywhere outside Bangladesh

rose_20

Jun 8, 2012
hi frds....
good to read abt reality in canada ......newtone n memikoglan....thnx for being candid.....
canada is empty land with few people that 's y they r getting well educated ppl from other countries n getting lot of money through immigration but once a person is thr....he finds that there is no value for his degrees ...hence NO DECENT JOB....no support ...very expensive food....low quality imported(but very expensive ) clothes ....MOST HORRIBLE WINTERS ....n strangers arnd u whu never give a damn abt u
guys u r right....immigrants must sue these policy makers

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
I just finished my BA program and I am very much interested in immigration subject. I have read tons of journals about how immigration policy and labor market differ and how those sought after highly educated professionals have been deskilled and channeled to survival jobs. I cannot say I have personally experienced but I was just advised by university's career consultant that "it was not a bad idea to start with entry level job". I have over 20 years of professional career. At least I was prepared to hear that.

I think it is important that real voice should be heard. I think comments from newtone and memikoglan are valuable. How many immigrants (in the journals) wished if they had known the reality before immigration. Surely there are many immigrants who have sustained status and class. But I disagree we should, in this forum, portray immigration to Canada to be rosy. We should be as real as possible, both negative and positive. The choice will be made by readers.

Back to original post, I think the chance to immigrate to Canada as muffin bakery is very slim.

sbg92

Jun 12, 2012
maxvol said:
@ Vitomanolo16

there is some truth to what newtone and memikoglan has said after all some of these people have experienced these problems first hand, they were in the same boat as you are at some point but people have not told them the entire truth (good side and the bad side). If I understood them correctly they have already lived here and basically telling you what to watch out for. You are on a bit of a disadvantage considering you haven't lived here, so its not appropriate for you to make judgements or conclusions yet.

Anyhow they only way and the best way to experience it is to live here. Maybe you could share and tell us something about your experience which many people can benefit from. Keep in touch, don't be a stranger.
I'm kind of curious if Vitomanolo16 has a different start-up experience compared with most landed immigrants here in Canada. I can see in his profile that he's been here since April 17, 2012. I hope everything went well with him.

The reason for my concern is, I can still remember my excitement a couple of months before my family migrated here. I thought I was completely ready for all the challenges. Unlike Vitomanolo16, I was willing to listen to the feedback of others, whether good or bad. I knew then that any information is useful so that I would not be surprised.

When we boarded the plane, I left my ego in my native land, decided to forget that I was at the peak of my career, focused on my priority - to give my children better opportunities and a brighter future. I reminded myself that I prayed for this and that the Lord granted this desire of my heart. Surely He will take care of us and sustain us.

But even then, despite the spiritual and psychological preparation, the stark reality that it is really difficult to start a new life in another country will still hit you. You cannot dodge it, you cannot ignore it, you have to live it.

I don't know about the others but as for me, I felt like I was completely stripped off of my self-confidence after a number of rejections from applying for starting clerical positions. Although I promised to forget what I had back home, I was not able to stop myself. I was asking myself what I'm doing here. I was already managing a branch of a government bank back home. It might not be much compared to what others have, but for me, it was already an achievement. Here I am applying for a billing clerk position and I can't even get it. I decided to apply at Fortino's and Walmart for anything. Still, got nothing. It was beginning to scare me because I'm a solo parent with three kids, no family or relatives here in Canada but just a family friend from back home who were very helpful in finding us a basement apartment to rent.

In a way, something good came out of it. It was a humbling experience and character-building in itself. It made me rely more on God and helped me grow in my faith. I could have gone back home because I haven't completely burned my bridges. I just filed for a 6-month vacation from my work and the VP of my company was still expecting me to go back. But I know that I did this sacrifice for my children and stood firm.

After 6 weeks of continuous job-hunting, the Lord blessed my efforts and finally got a billing clerk position in a trucking and logistics company. After almost two years, a door opened for me in another company with a better position and compensation package.

It's been four years since my family came to Canada. I just wrote my citizenship test on May 1st and waiting for the notice for oath-taking. In a nutshell, yes, life can be difficult in Canada but if you will not forget why you came here in the first place, you can keep the course and stand firm. Life is a series of trade-offs. For me, just looking at how adjusted and happy my kids are here keeps me going.

And God is faithful. If you honor Him, He will surely let you bloom where you're planted. :) He made Canada my promised land.

So to everyone who's new here in Canada, wherever you are right now and whatever challenges you are facing, stand firm. Don't forget why you came here. Be encouraged and count your blessings everyday. Don't lose the excitement and expectancy. Canada is not perfect but I still believe it's a blessed country. Along the way, let's never allow disappointments and regrets to keep hold of us as this will all lead to bitterness and negativity.

Life is beautiful!!!

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
memikoglan said:
Vitomanolo16,

You just don't get it. But it is quite normal. Before I came to Canada as an immigrant I was warned about similar bad experiences and I told and wrote exactly as you did. I just ignored them and I told them do not generalize the situation just like you wrote. I think this is human psychology. Human is trying not to think about it or does not want to believe something bad about his/her dream.
Well said!

I am one of you guys. Canada profits from the misfortune of people in other countries. It is always looking for affluent immigrants who are willing to bring over their whole fortune (and often blow it) or good people who once in Canada are forced to accept low end jobs and settle for them for life.

It is one cruel and indifferent society. Their intelligence is way lower than yours (assuming you are Indian or Chinese), but they will rule over you, use and abuse you.

www.dsc-gc.com

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sodapop said:
Me and my family are soon moving to Canada from KSA. We are both architects so we applied under FSW. Me and my 2 kids are under my husband's sponsorship, having good position in his work, good salary and benefits, medical insurance,yearly vacation in our home country with free airfare. Same goes with me, being employed in a private office with good salary and benefits...though technically, girls aren't allowed to work in KSA unless you're a nurse, teacher, or beautician. In other words, we are living a comfortable life here.
If you are comfortable where you are, just do not do it!

You can try option 2 of your plan, but this will give you just 3 more years to collect funds. Then you may see yourself spending your savings in a few months in Canada, going back to square one and being unemployed.

Your kids may not be a whole lot better in Canada either.

tokon

Oct 3, 2010
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
16-09-10
AOR Received.
3.7.10 (1st AOR) &amp; 1.10.11 (2nd AOR)
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
6.7.10 to SVO
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
February-2013
info-gc said:
Well said!

I am one of you guys. Canada profits from the misfortune of people in other countries. It is always looking for affluent immigrants who are willing to bring over their whole fortune (and often blow it) or good people who once in Canada are forced to accept low end jobs and settle for them for life.

It is one cruel and indifferent society. Their intelligence is way lower than yours (assuming you are Indian or Chinese), but they will rule over you, use and abuse you.

www.dsc-gc.com
OMG!!!

profahmed

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
january2010
Doc's Request.
march 2010
AOR Received.
june2010
Med's Request
19th june 2012
Med's Done....
25th june2012
Interview........
waived

abs999

Jul 26, 2012
Job Titles and Descriptions - The Working in Canada Tool can help you find the name, description and main tasks of your occupation, as well as what skills are needed to work.
How do I Find a Job? - Finding a job can take time. Learn about job postings, networking and the hidden job market.
How do I Apply for a Job? - Applying for a job involves three steps: a resume, a cover letter and company/job research.
How do I Prepare for an Interview? - An employer will often interview several qualified applicants for a job. Learn about the steps to prepare for an interview.
What is a Regulated Occupation? - A regulated occupation requires that you have a licence before you can work.
Starting Your Own Business - Starting a business is an excellent way to start your career in Canada.

abs999

Jul 26, 2012
For newcomers, finding a job in Canada takes time and preparation. In addition to the resources above, the information below may be useful for you.

How do I get my Skills Recognized? - Some credentials obtained outside of Canada may not be recognized as equivalent to Canadian credentials.
How do I get Canadian Work Experience? - Experience in a Canadian workplace may be a requirement or an employer preference.