+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

job hunting in Edmonton

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You know, I've gotten into a lot of arguments on this forum about finding work -- why I couldn't find any, how coming to Canada was ruining my life, wondering if there was pervasive discrimination against foreigners or if it was just because of the bad economy . . .

Anyway, I just want to say that being in Edmonton is like night and day compared to Victoria. I routinely see jobs advertised that I get interviews for, I'm invited to respond to RFPs as an individual contractor, and the response to both is very quick. It's a totally different environment, living in a humming economy with 4% unemployment, a foreign masters degree is valuable.

So don't go somewhere else and think you can apply by distance -- Canadians won't respond. Don't go somewhere where you have relatives or friends, and there are no jobs (unemployment in Victoria is low, but they don't need anyone there). Go to Alberta or Saskatchewan, and consider Manitoba, if I'd done this two years ago we would nearly be citizens now and my wife would be much farther along. Cheers!

EsterO

Star Member
Aug 29, 2018
You just answered my doubts....been thinking of whether or not to move from BC to Edmonton/Sasketchewan where my skills (41403) I believe will be more valuable. Please if you are still on this platform, I'ld like to get more guidance from you concerning settling in Edmonton and how things turned out for you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You just answered my doubts....been thinking of whether or not to move from BC to Edmonton/Sasketchewan where my skills (41403) I believe will be more valuable. Please if you are still on this platform, I'ld like to get more guidance from you concerning settling in Edmonton and how things turned out for you.
You are responding to a post from a decade ago.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you been Edmonton and SK? I've been to Edmonton and Regina.

AusCad

Aug 29, 2022
Not yet but planning to visit Edmonton next month and possibly settle in there. Any tips will be helpful.
I just arrived Edmonton from Australia in December 2022. As I type this it’s -15 degrees and it’s gonna get worse so be prepared for that. There are jobs as I have turned down a couple cos of the pay rate. You’d be fine!

EsterO

Star Member
Aug 29, 2018
I just arrived Edmonton from Australia in December 2022. As I type this it’s -15 degrees and it’s gonna get worse so be prepared for that. There are jobs as I have turned down a couple cos of the pay rate. You’d be fine!
Many thanks for the helpful feedback.....I need to go prep my snow jackets......-15 degrees is no joke!