+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job hunt in Canada for Newcomers!

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

To everybody already living in Canada. How is the job market and how is the job search for newcomers?

I'm intending to settle in Toronto and I work in corporate banking (bachelor level).

Any experiences? Any advices? How did your journey begin? With lots of survival jobs? Please share! And please share some advice on how to raise your chances in successfully finding work in Canada.

Thanks

janardhanan

May 28, 2017
Hi all,

To everybody already living in Canada. How is the job market and how is the job search for newcomers?

I'm intending to settle in Toronto and I work in corporate banking (bachelor level).

Any experiences? Any advices? How did your journey begin? With lots of survival jobs? Please share! And please share some advice on how to raise your chances in successfully finding work in Canada.

Thanks
Hi.

Which country are you from. have u landed in canada ?

C

Classic Chucks

The competition is tough out here without Canadian work experience.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Thanks
I would not say survival jobs, but with hard work you can get a lower level than you are working now

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I'm from Switzerland. No, I'm not in Canada yet.
Sorry for this off-point question..but i'm curious to know - since Switzerland has one of the best living standards in the world, why would you want to immigrate to Canada?

Last edited:

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for this off-point question..but i'm curious to know - since Switzerland has one of the best living standards on the world, why would you want to immigrate to Canada?
First of all, my wife and I just love Canada. It is a great country.
Secondly, it all depends what you are searching for. Switzerland is perfect in many aspects (transport, education, security, good wages, etc...) ...but it can also be boring, squared, conservative, zero integration, extremely expensive and xenophobic. For a Swiss life is a piece of chocolate but as a foreign it can be a nightmare. I'm married to a non European person and I can see how difficult it is to be part of this country.
If you are looking for a social life, happiness, to be part of the community and so on Switzerland is not the place to be. Those things we already found in Canada. That's why my wife and I have this goal.

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
First of all, my wife and I just love Canada. It is a great country.
Secondly, it all depends what you are searching for. Switzerland is perfect in many aspects (transport, education, security, good wages, etc...) ...but it can also be boring, squared, conservative, zero integration, extremely expensive and xenophobic. For a Swiss life is a piece of chocolate but as a foreign it can be a nightmare. I'm married to a non European person and I can see how difficult it is to be part of this country.
If you are looking for a social life, happiness, to be part of the community and so on Switzerland is not the place to be. Those things we already found in Canada. That's why my wife and I have this goal.
I see, interesting perspective! Good luck with the move, you'll certainly find an employer that would value your Swiss working experience.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I moved from UK 4 years ago after finishing PhD in Economics. I did not have any chance to get any permanent status in UK, otherwise I would not have left.
I started a survival job in my 3rd week in Canada already - bilingual (english and french) call center agent, because I did not want to touch my savings. This was the only white collar survival job that I could get so I took it. I worked about a year but did not get a single interview. All I got was minimum wage and daily insults from mentally sick customers. Then I enrolled in a short college diploma, thinking to get to job market through an internship. After one month I quit because I could not learn anything from teachers who had 10 years less of schooling than me. After that I left Canada and promised myself I would never come back.
While at home, my best forum buddy Emamabd encouraged me to give it another try, not to give up easily. So I opened guichet emploi and I applied to the first relevant job I saw. One week later they called me for interview. I did not even know they called me because I already deactivated my phone. They actually sent me e-mail saying they tried to call. So I packed up and came back on a return ticket that I was not going to use. A miracle has happenned - I got the job with the federal government and last week I celebrated my 3 rd work anniversary with my employer. All those who were in call centres with me are still in jobs which are not very far from minimum wage.

Building a career here is possible but one should be prepared for a long (occassionally humiliating) way up. Please think twice before burning your Swiss bridges.

Hi all,

Thanks

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I moved from UK 4 years ago after finishing PhD in Economics. I did not have any chance to get any permanent status in UK, otherwise I would not have left.
I started a survival job in my 3rd week in Canada already - bilingual (english and french) call center agent, because I did not want to touch my savings. This was the only white collar survival job that I could get so I took it. I worked about a year but did not get a single interview. All I got was minimum wage and daily insults from mentally sick customers. Then I enrolled in a short college diploma, thinking to get to job market through an internship. After one month I quit because I could not learn anything from teachers who had 10 years less of schooling than me. After that I left Canada and promised myself I would never come back.
While at home, my best forum buddy Emamabd encouraged me to give it another try, not to give up easily. So I opened guichet emploi and I applied to the first relevant job I saw. One week later they called me for interview. I did not even know they called me because I already deactivated my phone. They actually sent me e-mail saying they tried to call. So I packed up and came back on a return ticket that I was not going to use. A miracle has happenned - I got the job with the federal government and last week I celebrated my 3 rd work anniversary with my employer. All those who were in call centres with me are still in jobs which are not very far from minimum wage.

Building a career here is possible but one should be prepared for a long (occassionally humiliating) way up. Please think twice before burning your Swiss bridges.
Thanks for sharing your experience! A new beginning is always a challenge but we only live once so I'm going to try it :)
Switzerland is my home country and I can always come back ;)

Reactions: Skyler68

kishorsankaran

Nov 16, 2016
Chennai, India
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-01-2017
Nomination.....
04-01-2017
File Transfer...
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
05-05-2017
Passport Req..
15-06-2017
Hi I am Kishor. I had received my COPR and passport with visa stamped last week. But it is valid only upto Jan. I am skeptical if I may get a job before that. So my friend suggested that I just come to Toronto for 2-3 days next month and complete the formalities and go back to India. I can stay at his place for those days [visit Niagara of course :) ] and I will give their address as my address and I can get the PR card [which comes in 45 days] delivered it to his place.

My question is " Do we have to physically be present to get the PR card? Can it be couriered to friend's place and we get it from him once he lands India?" Kindly confirm so that I can plan my journey accordingly. Thanks a ton in advance.

Nody

Dec 4, 2017
Hi I am Kishor. I had received my COPR and passport with visa stamped last week. But it is valid only upto Jan. I am skeptical if I may get a job before that. So my friend suggested that I just come to Toronto for 2-3 days next month and complete the formalities and go back to India. I can stay at his place for those days [visit Niagara of course :) ] and I will give their address as my address and I can get the PR card [which comes in 45 days] delivered it to his place.

My question is " Do we have to physically be present to get the PR card? Can it be couriered to friend's place and we get it from him once he lands India?" Kindly confirm so that I can plan my journey accordingly. Thanks a ton in advance.

You can look for a job while in Canada. Securing a job before you land is not a must.
In answer to your question though, No, i don't think you have to be physically present to get it. (At lease that's what I understood from the cic website, you can inquire further about that though). But you will have to have it on you to re-enter Canada. Or you can have "permanent resident travel document" with you instead.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10&_ga=2.95769887.2054675657.1513518909-1106816988.1503002297

You can also try urgent processing of your PR card:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html

Hope that was helpful