+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job for my wife as a newcomer

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Hello everyone,
We've been living in Canada for 1,5 years as PRs. During this time, my wife didn't have a chance to work as she was very busy with the settlement and our daughter. Now, as we are all settled and our child will be starting the pre-school day care next month, she can start working again.
The thing is, she was working as a data analyst before we came to Canada but she doesn't want to work in an office environment by the computer with almost zero human interaction anymore.
What kind of job options does she have you think? Salary is not our main concern at the moment, we just try find her starting point.
We're considering some kind of receptionist or assistant positions at the beginning but we're not sure.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,
We've been living in Canada for 1,5 years as PRs. During this time, my wife didn't have a chance to work as she was very busy with the settlement and our daughter. Now, as we are all settled and our child will be starting the pre-school day care next month, she can start working again.
The thing is, she was working as a data analyst before we came to Canada but she doesn't want to work in an office environment by the computer with almost zero human interaction anymore.
What kind of job options does she have you think? Salary is not our main concern at the moment, we just try find her starting point.
We're considering some kind of receptionist or assistant positions at the beginning but we're not sure.
Thanks.
I'm not sure why you are asking on a forum. Her job options are whatever she is qualified for and no one here knows the answer to that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would encourage her to apply for a variety of jobs. There isn’t necessarily and straightforward answer for most jobs unless you are a certain profession like a doctor and you are only really qualified to do one thing.

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Thanks everyone. The reason I am asking this on a forum is that I don't know exactly what choices we have for her without having a long training or education. Lots of options out there I know, but maybe someone in a similar situation could share his/her experience by saying for example "being a receptionist is very tiring, she should consider it twice".

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Frankly there is no universal answer to what you are asking for. Look out for volunteer or temp opportunity which allow conversion later as a good way of entering into industry. Salary as you said will come later, you don't have much choice. This would also let her get a taste of getting into working routine gradually.

If she is up for a challenge, I would say take some bridging course and try applying in a profession which might be well paying and satisfying over long term. It is never too late for starting a career and she just might find a new passion.