+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jewelry - Goods to bring or follow

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
I am planning to do short landing in August, and want to start preparing the B4/B4A form. I have read through various forum posts and there is always an emphasis on listing each jewelry item and taking photo. I have married with my husband more than 10 years, and for Asian it is common to receive gold (ear rings, necklace, ring) as wedding gifts. I don't have receipts for most of these gifts, even if I have one or two receipts they are in local language. I therefore have the following questions and would appreciate anyone can share their experience or knowledge:

- is that fine I make an estimate of the value and without a receipt for each gold piece?
- apparently it is not a good idea to bring too many jewelry items for a short landing and so most will be reported under 'goods to follow', so I won't be able to show the physical items at the border to proof my possession. Will the officer check in details (by the way, I will land at Vancouver airport)? or I have over think about it? will the officer just read my list of each item with photo attached and won't border with receipts?

- I have on another forum read that personal goods should mean you have possession for at least 6 months prior to landing date. Is that true? I have just bought a new laptop (personal use) in June.

- other than jewelry that should take photo, anything else? how about camera, electronic products, that are goods to follow...

thanks so much!
any tips or experience on preparing B4/B4A form are very much appreciated!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. yes, estimates are fine. i did not claim jewelry i was wearing (wedding band/engagement ring). I had mostly costume jewelry and listed it as "1 bag of costume jewelry", then listed a value for the lot. i'm sure if you have expensive jewels you will want to list them separately and keep a copy of any appraisals you have for it. i did not take any pictures, nor was i required to provide them or receipts.

2. not sure what the difference is if you bring the jewelry in for a short landing or later as a goods to follow. there is no difference in declaration of them. feel free to bring them whenever you want based on your own personal preference (there are no rules about when to bring certain items over). some officers may check your belongings at the time you are declaring them, some may not. it's at the descretion of the officer at the time of declaration. they may want to confirm what you're declaring, and they may not. no one here can tell you 100% sure since every experience is different. i drove my belongings through, and the officers did not check my car when i declared my items at landing. the experience may be different at an airport.

3. i'm not sure about this, thought i'd assume if you bought something at home and you are now bringing it to canada it should be on your declaration form as a good. again, i was never asked for receipts nor did they ask about the age of my belongings.

4. i did not take photos of anything. generally, large electronics should be listed with the serial number separately.

bottom line, it's really not that complicated. you can batch like items and list them in batches (ie: 2 suitcases of clothes/shoes, 2 boxes of books, etc) then assign a value for the lot. you don't need to get into too much detail, and if you don't have receipts, don't stress. most people don't keep receipts for all their posessions, nor are they required to submit when declaring items upon landing/to follow.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
- Yes it is fine for you to make estimates for all items on the forms.
- The officer will look at the forms and the pictures. If the items are on to goods-to-follow list, they have no option.
- Don't worry about the laptop. Just make sure it's on the list - include its serial number and value.
- you don't need photos for anything else. However, for all electronics including cameras, smart phones etc., indicate the item's serial number in the details column.

When filling your form classify your items under the following categories: electronics, furniture, kitchenware, and assorted items (for anything else). You don't have to list each item, you can group them e.g 2 boxes of books, 3 bags of clothes. Only the electronics have to be listed individually e.g 1 Sony Soundbar with subwoofer-serial# etc. Keep in mind the B4A is an extension of the B4. I'd advise you list items of each category on a separate B4A with their values and SUB TOTAL at the end. You will then indicate the categories with their respective sub total on the B4, and add the sub totals - attach the B4As to the corresponding B4 form i.e to-follow list or accompanying list. Basically the B4 should be a summary of the B4As.

All the best.

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your sharing. It is very useful.

A follow up question, for estimate value should it be current market value estimate? You mentioned appraisal, is it better to do or only if it involves very very expensive items (I read some other posts mentioned appraisal for antique which I do not have).

As my jewellery are mostly wedding gifts back in ten years ago, even I have the receipt the price is not current.
Thanks.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
smile1212 said:
Thank you so much for your sharing. It is very useful.

A follow up question, for estimate value should it be current market value estimate? You mentioned appraisal, is it better to do or only if it involves very very expensive items (I read some other posts mentioned appraisal for antique which I do not have).

As my jewellery are mostly wedding gifts back in ten years ago, even I have the receipt the price is not current.
Thanks.
unless the items were bought recently, price should be what you would be able to get if you resold them TODAY. you can't put a current price for an item that is 10 years old. items depreciate over time. just give your best guess. they aren't going to question it unless the price is completely inflated.

appraisals are not required, they are good to have. i only had an appraisal for my wedding rings, which weren't even declared because i was wearing them at the time. i would only recommend them for really expensive jewelry items. i have antique furniture on my goods to follow list, and was not asked for appraisals.

NeelaR

Star Member
May 22, 2015
Hi,

I have received my COPR a few days ago (yay!) and now reading up on B4 and B4A forms everywhere and how important it is to list EVERYTHING accurately so we don't end up with penalities/duty. Now, when I look up CBSA to download the forms, I don't see a B4 form but only these (I did a filter with the keyword "personal")

BSF186 Personal Effects Accounting Document
BSF186A Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of goods imported)
BSF192 Personal Exemption CBSA Declaration

Are there any other forms we need to download and fill? Kindly guide me. Thanks a ton!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
NeelaR said:
Hi,

I have received my COPR a few days ago (yay!) and now reading up on B4 and B4A forms everywhere and how important it is to list EVERYTHING accurately so we don't end up with penalities/duty. Now, when I look up CBSA to download the forms, I don't see a B4 form but only these (I did a filter with the keyword "personal")

BSF186 Personal Effects Accounting Document
BSF186A Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of goods imported)
BSF192 Personal Exemption CBSA Declaration

Are there any other forms we need to download and fill? Kindly guide me. Thanks a ton!
the forms you need are BSF186/BSF196A. They are the new numbers for the declaration form. you do not need BSF192. Note you will need 2 separate forms for goods you are declaring at landing and goods to follow (if you have anything you will be bringing in at a later date). You do not need to be super specific in your declaration, you can group like items together and provide values for the lot. For example, it is acceptable to write: 2 suitcases of clothes, shoes: value: xxxx, 1 bag of costume jewelry: value: xxxx.

Do not get caught up in needing pictures or receipts. they are not necessary. if you have expensive items, list them separately and take pictures/keep copies of appraisals. list electronics separately and provide serial numbers. you do not have to declare jewelry you are wearing: ie: wedding bands.

NeelaR

Star Member
May 22, 2015
Thank you so much, CDNPR2014!! Truly appreciate it!
For jewelry, should I take them to a jeweler to assess current value? some of them were bought a decade ago and I don't have their receipts with me. I have weighing scale so I can write down the accurate weight. Can I just calculate the price by looking up today's gold date on google?

Thanks so much for your kind reply!!

CDNPR2014 said:
the forms you need are BSF186/BSF196A. They are the new numbers for the declaration form. you do not need BSF192. Note you will need 2 separate forms for goods you are declaring at landing and goods to follow (if you have anything you will be bringing in at a later date). You do not need to be super specific in your declaration, you can group like items together and provide values for the lot. For example, it is acceptable to write: 2 suitcases of clothes, shoes: value: xxxx, 1 bag of costume jewelry: value: xxxx.

Do not get caught up in needing pictures or receipts. they are not necessary. if you have expensive items, list them separately and take pictures/keep copies of appraisals. list electronics separately and provide serial numbers. you do not have to declare jewelry you are wearing: ie: wedding bands.

Reactions: kamalt

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
NeelaR said:
For jewelry, should I take them to a jeweler to assess current value? some of them were bought a decade ago and I don't have their receipts with me. I have weighing scale so I can write down the accurate weight. Can I just calculate the price by looking up today's gold date on google?

personally, i wouldn't go through the trouble of getting the assessed value unless they are significantly very expensive. i would just look it up based on today's value. CBSA doesn't really examine the declaration or belongings too thoroughly, and unless you declare an exorbitant amount of value for an item, there isn't going to be much issue about how much you're declaring for an item or lot of items.

NeelaR

Star Member
May 22, 2015
Great! That makes sense!! Thanks again!!

If the 8 rows are insufficient, can I print another copy of the form and just add page numbers on the top for the sequence...?

CDNPR2014 said:
personally, i wouldn't go through the trouble of getting the assessed value unless they are significantly very expensive. i would just look it up based on today's value. CBSA doesn't really examine the declaration or belongings too thoroughly, and unless you declare an exorbitant amount of value for an item, there isn't going to be much issue about how much you're declaring for an item or lot of items.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
NeelaR said:
Great! That makes sense!! Thanks again!!

If the 8 rows are insufficient, can I print another copy of the form and just add page numbers on the top for the sequence...?
if you need additional room, you can use the B184A form or print it out on other paper. do not use a second B184 form for additional room. This information is noted on the form.

pmpm

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2013; 25-11-2013 medicals received
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2014
NeelaR said:

Hi NeelaR
Hope your landing went well.
I have a question regarding jewellery appraisal. When we landed in 2014, the officer did not accept out B4 forms because there was not jewelry appraisal attached. He told us to submit forms (B4) when we come back next time. Now in October we are moving permanently to Canada. Did you get the appraisal for your jewellery?
Thanks

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
I am planning to do short landing in August, and want to start preparing the B4/B4A form. I have read through various forum posts and there is always an emphasis on listing each jewelry item and taking photo. I have married with my husband more than 10 years, and for Asian it is common to receive gold (ear rings, necklace, ring) as wedding gifts. I don't have receipts for most of these gifts, even if I have one or two receipts they are in local language. I therefore have the following questions and would appreciate anyone can share their experience or knowledge:

- is that fine I make an estimate of the value and without a receipt for each gold piece?
- apparently it is not a good idea to bring too many jewelry items for a short landing and so most will be reported under 'goods to follow', so I won't be able to show the physical items at the border to proof my possession. Will the officer check in details (by the way, I will land at Vancouver airport)? or I have over think about it fashion rings? will the officer just read my list of each item with photo attached and won't border with receipts?

- I have on another forum read that personal goods should mean you have possession for at least 6 months prior to landing date. Is that true? I have just bought a new laptop (personal use) in June.

- other than jewelry that should take photo, anything else? how about camera, electronic products, that are goods to follow...

thanks so much!
any tips or experience on preparing B4/B4A form are very much appreciated!
  1. Estimating the value of your gold pieces without receipts should be acceptable, especially since they are wedding gifts.
  2. Officers may not physically inspect each item, but having a detailed list with photos attached can help demonstrate your possession and expedite the process.
  3. The six-month possession rule typically applies to items being imported duty-free as personal goods. Since your laptop was purchased in June and your landing is in August, you should be fine as long as it's for personal use.
  4. For items like cameras and electronic products, taking photos and providing detailed descriptions is recommended.