+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Japanese national require both Koseki Tohon & Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon?

adam_b_416

Aug 28, 2017
I'm sponsoring my wife who is a Japanese national, We currently have a copy of the Koseki Tohon. Do we also need a copy of the Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon?

Or will the Koseki Tohon suffice?

Thanks!

Adam

HockeyDude

Apr 16, 2018
Not sure if this is too late, and I'm not an expert, but I definitely think you need both. We are in the same situation as you and we will be providing both. Here are the instructions from the guide (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp?_ga=2.195519212.1942875423.1524454135-968402703.1520766051):

Japan – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • A copy and a certified translation of the “Koseki Tohon”
    • A copy and a certified translation of the “Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon”, including details of his/her birth, marriage, and divorce (if any). “Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon” is the original source document(s) of a re-established family register; all names of the family members, even the ones that

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
We submitted both the Koseki Tohon and the Kaisengen Kaiseki Tohon just to be on the safe side.

Make sure you start asking for the police cert as quickly as you can. It took us over 2 months before it arrived at the consulate.

ilovirn

Dec 25, 2013
Hello
I'm on the same boat, so I have this question:

in both, new and old will my name appear? (I'm the husband, she's the Japanese National)?

We got the new one, and my name is there. How about the kaisengen? does she get a new tree? do they append my name to it?

S_A_mo

Mar 8, 2019
Hello
I'm on the same boat, so I have this question:

in both, new and old will my name appear? (I'm the husband, she's the Japanese National)?

We got the new one, and my name is there. How about the kaisengen? does she get a new tree? do they append my name to it?
I'm Japanese.
Neither your name nor marriage status is written on her Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.
Kaiseigen is no longer used (Government revised the law and uses Koseki Tohon now instead), so information won't be updated.
IRCC requires both because there’s different information on Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.

ilovirn

Dec 25, 2013
I'm Japanese.
Neither your name nor marriage status is written on her Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.
Kaiseigen is no longer used (Government revised the law and uses Koseki Tohon now instead), so information won't be updated.
IRCC requires both because there’s different information on Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.
Thanks.
I appreciate your input. Makes things less complex and neither of us know how the papers show look like.

After getting these two, we need to get the police certificate (We are doing it inland.. I guess via embassy).
Anything else we should get from japan that I'm missing and you needed?

Thank you!

S_A_mo

Mar 8, 2019
Thanks.
I appreciate your input. Makes things less complex and neither of us know how the papers show look like.

After getting these two, we need to get the police certificate (We are doing it inland.. I guess via embassy).
Anything else we should get from japan that I'm missing and you needed?

Thank you!
No, I needed nothing else but Japan police certificate.
If she is in canada, she can get it via embassy or conslate and it'll take 2-3 months.
you might know, according to IRCC we don't need to submit it when we send application, they will require it later.
But some Japanese sent it upfront and there was no problem.
We applied for my PR outland and submitted my police certificate after IRCC required because I was in Japan and it took only 2 weeks to get mine.

Btw, I'm impressed you are working hard on her PR!
My canadian husband was really useless and uncooperative. haha

This Japanese thread would help you guys as well.
http://bbs.jpcanada.com/topics.php?bbs=5&msgid=10609&order=0&cat=&&dummy=204

Good luck!