+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2024 Inland Spousal Sponsorship

CanadienseGal

Jan 28, 2024
Hi there! I'm a Canadian citizen who sponsored my mexican husband and we applied last week! Any chance any of yoi guys have a visitor permit that needs extended ? Just looking for advice! His visitor permit expires in 2 months but obviously it'll take a lot longer to get an answer for PR

vancityrichard

Jan 24, 2024
Hi there! I'm a Canadian citizen who sponsored my mexican husband and we applied last week! Any chance any of yoi guys have a visitor permit that needs extended ? Just looking for advice! His visitor permit expires in 2 months but obviously it'll take a lot longer to get an answer for PR
My advice would be to prepare the visitor record (visa extension) and open work permit applications, but don't send them. If you get AOR right before the deadline of his TRV, you can just apply for the OWP which gives status to stay in Canada. If you don't get AOR by the deadline, submit the visa extension.

These actions will save you money, but also make sure you're prepared for whatever happens. Good luck!

CanadienseGal

Jan 28, 2024
Oh
My advice would be to prepare the visitor record (visa extension) and open work permit applications, but don't send them. If you get AOR right before the deadline of his TRV, you can just apply for the OWP which gives status to stay in Canada. If you don't get AOR by the deadline, submit the visa extension.

These actions will save you money, but also make sure you're prepared for whatever happens. Good luck!
Ohhh that's good to know! So even just applying for the OWP (once he receives his AOR) will allow him to stay in Canada even if his visitor permit expires? (Until he gets an answer for either OWP or PR?)

vancityrichard

Jan 24, 2024
Oh

Ohhh that's good to know! So even just applying for the OWP (once he receives his AOR) will allow him to stay in Canada even if his visitor permit expires? (Until he gets an answer for either OWP or PR?)
Correct!

"If a visitor, student, or foreign worker applies to extend their status before that status expires, they can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. In this situation, the person has implied status." https://www.matkowsky.ca/implied-status#:~:text=If a visitor, student, or,the person has implied status.

CanadienseGal

Jan 28, 2024
Correct!

"If a visitor, student, or foreign worker applies to extend their status before that status expires, they can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. In this situation, the person has implied status." https://www.matkowsky.ca/implied-status#:~:text=If a visitor, student, or,the person has implied status.
Thank you so much!!

And if worst case scenario the AOR doesn't come in time, do you think a visitor extension for someone who is also applying to be a PR looks bad as they intend to stay longer? Or is that a normal process as well? (Last question; I promise!) We just want to make sure we are doing this right!

vancityrichard

Jan 24, 2024
Thank you so much!!

And if worst case scenario the AOR doesn't come in time, do you think a visitor extension for someone who is also applying to be a PR looks bad as they intend to stay longer? Or is that a normal process as well? (Last question; I promise!) We just want to make sure we are doing this right!
That's definitely normal process and you shouldn't worry about it. If someone is applying inland and they have a TRV, getting a visitor extension is literally the only way to legally stay in the country if they can't get a work permit. It's also kinda the only way, so y'know, do that haha

Also, applying to be a permanent resident means they're already applying to stay longer, so I wouldn't worry about those optics

Reactions: CanadienseGal

Wilfred94

Jan 29, 2024
Hi guys, also in a pickle because my girlfriends IEC expires Mid April but we’re still waiting on the AOR.

Submitted initially: Nov 26 2023
Returned due to missing 1 document: Dec 22 2023
Resubmitted: Dec 26 2023
Email notifying application received: Jan 17 2024
AOR: waiting

wondering if anyone else also been in the shoe where they had to fix something.

also I’m seeing online that you can also submit without AOR if the current work permit expires within 2 weeks. But not sure if that’s right.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi guys, also in a pickle because my girlfriends IEC expires Mid April but we’re still waiting on the AOR.

Submitted initially: Nov 26 2023
Returned due to missing 1 document: Dec 22 2023
Resubmitted: Dec 26 2023
Email notifying application received: Jan 17 2024
AOR: waiting

wondering if anyone else also been in the shoe where they had to fix something.

also I’m seeing online that you can also submit without AOR if the current work permit expires within 2 weeks. But not sure if that’s right.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)
Did the email you received in Jan 17 have an application number? If so, that's AOR.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I do have an application number. It does not look like what AOR supposedly looks like tho. It also doesn’t come with a PDF. Is there any way to verify?
If your application is not a temporary one (start with XF) which starts with F, I believe that's AOR. I don't think AOR comes as PDF.

Click on the link about AOR in that page.
How to recognize the AoR
The AoR letter means that an officer has reviewed your application package and confirmed that it’s complete.
The AoR letter contains your application number. The application number is in the top left corner of the letter and starts with an F.
Other members posted that the following would be the wording of that email:
This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Wilfred94

Jan 29, 2024
If your application is not a temporary one (start with XF) which starts with F, I believe that's AOR. I don't think AOR comes as PDF.

Click on the link about AOR in that page.

Other members posted that the following would be the wording of that email:
This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
ok I did get an email with the exact thing you said.
The application number also starts with F as well. Thanks again for the help. I've been seeing official AOR PDFs so I was unsure.
So I assume I just send in a pdf version of the email I received as part of the OWP?

Reactions: YVR123

Hannes85

Dec 9, 2014
Hi guys. Does anybody have a sample what does AOR look like? I am PR in Canada and about week ago submitted inland application for common law sponsorship for my gf.
Today received email from IRCC that our application has been received and there is also UCI and Application number on that email.
Is that enough to submit application for open work permit? Cheers

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi guys. Does anybody have a sample what does AOR look like? I am PR in Canada and about week ago submitted inland application for common law sponsorship for my gf.
Today received email from IRCC that our application has been received and there is also UCI and Application number on that email.
Is that enough to submit application for open work permit? Cheers
Did you see my respond above?