+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2023 - Citizenship Applications

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
I think the CZ ones are fine because Schengen stamps are rather easy to understand thanks to the visuals. I would translate the rest. I haven't been asked for passport pages so I don't know for sure. For example, I also have China stamps but I don't know how I would deal with that, but I will keep an eye on this to learn what you find out!

Can't hurt to "translate" the Schengen ones either by listing the date of arrival/departure and airport.

A more general question: Are the translations simply self reported?

Just received passport(s) request!
Do I need to translate the stamps? I have stamps from the Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, China, Russia, Mexico etc?

For example:

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
Just received passport(s) request!
Do I need to translate the stamps? I have stamps from the Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, China, Russia, Mexico etc?

For example:

I had one stamp from UAE which was partly in Arabic. As long as we've mentioned the dates in and out of Canada in our Physical presence calculator, I think it should be fine. I have not seen any documentation on the IRCC website asking for such translations. All stamps in your case clearly mention the dates in English, so I think it should be okay.

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
So the Letter form IRCC (Passport request) states:

Note: Any documents that are not in English or French must be accompanied by:

1. the English or French translation; and
  2. an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

I believe it refers to and means in regard to any travel documents (e.g. passports or any other travel documents that are not in English or French.) I also consulted with some people who applied for citizenship and had to submit their passports (with stamps) they never translated the stamps.

Should I call IRCC to clarify?

zinc2022

Feb 13, 2023

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

I believe it refers to and means in regard to any travel documents (e.g. passports or any other travel documents that are not in English or French.) I also consulted with some people who applied for citizenship and had to submit their passports (with stamps) they never translated the stamps.

@Dr. Walden, congratulations yes this is a sign that you are at the peak of your application, I would definitely check with IRCC, that will give you a clear picture of what you need to do, rather than sending in the copies and you are asked to resend again. but all in all, I wish you success!!

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016

Hey there, I'm curious how this step of the process works! It sounds like you send photocopies of your passport in, and not the actual passport itself? Do you have to take photocopies of every page in the passport? Do you upload it electronically or do you send them by mail? Do you have to get the copies certified?

Thanks in advance!!

dragon1234

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
My application is pending Oath (all steps completed). I just changed my address:
1. Should I update my address now or wait till the Oath ceremony(as its so close)?

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
My application is pending Oath (all steps completed). I just changed my address:
1. Should I update my address now or wait till the Oath ceremony(as its so close)?
Congratulations buddy! I would wait if I was you.. a friend of mine had to wait over 3 months for the reschedule. If there is an urgency, only then maybe you could consider going down the rabbit hole.

dragon1234

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
Congratulations buddy! I would wait if I was you.. a friend of mine had to wait over 3 months for the reschedule. If there is an urgency, only then maybe you could consider going down the rabbit hole.
My oath hasnt been scheduled yet but yes I think Ill do this in the ceremony-Thanks!

Reactions: rushi.gada

Ishanmehta777

Star Member
Mar 22, 2021
Wait for ceremony
As you can put new address when you receive oath invitation in email.
There is a form to fill during oath ceremony where you can put your current mailing address if it’s different from application address.

Reactions: rushi.gada