+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2022 - Citizenship Applications

rCk

Nov 26, 2016
I received my certificate today in the mail. It was mailed on 13th March.
Anyone still waiting on their Certificate of citizenship from Feb 15, 2023? This is getting ridiculous , why are they taking so long

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
My mom got the oath letter via email on 27 Feb 2023 and took the online oath on 15 Mar 2023. Here's how it went:

It was scheduled at 8:15 am by Niagara Falls office. We were ready from 8 am. We were let into the Zoom meeting room few minutes after 8:15. I could't rename her with the seat no (#110) as it was instructed in the oath letter. Others were joining the meeting.

A male clerk (with a very serious, almost rude face) appeared and went thru pre-registration instructions. He didn't mute us, so it was little chaotic. Most applicants were perhaps sitting in a living room with others around them continuously talking. By that time, I renamed my mom's username with her seat no. We were told to wait for registration.

Another smiley-face male clerk showed up almost after 45 min with a 1-to-1 registration. I asked to be present and reply on my mom's behalf as she cannot communicate in English fluently. We showed her PR card and Health card. Then, we had to cut the PR card. We re-verified our address. It took 5 min and we had to wait again for the rest to register.

After the registration, a female clerk/conductor appeared, gave some opening remarks, and instructed about the proceedings. It was few min and then she introduced to the citizenship judge.

The fmeale judge was pretty bubbly :). She made her opening remarks and emphasized on French as March is the month known for Le mois de la Francophonie. At 9:48 am, they took the oath in English, followed by the French version. The judge congratulated everyone. Everyone sang the anthem. The judge made her closing remarks and bid farewell. The female clerk reappeared and instructed everyone to turn off their video so that each individual can take a selfie with the judge.

After that, the clerk instructed to email the signed oath form within 2 days. She mentioned if she does not get everyone's form in 2 days, she would contact individually via email. She also talked about how long the certificate can take to show up, when you should apply for passport, etc. And everyone would get a paper certificate (I was leaning towards an e-certificate and a tad confused about how to apply for it as my mom did not have to sit for a test). It was over 2 hours all together.

I had already scanned a signed form ready to be emailed. After my submission, an email from the clerk popped up to reply to this specific email with the signed form (I didn't reply as I had already sent the email as per the oath letter instruction). Although the oath letter said that it may take 2-4 weeks for citizenship certificate to show up, an automated email upon my submission stated that it can take up to 6 weeks. Go wonder!

I couldn't sign into her online account for the entire 2 weeks from Feb 27. It became active again after Mar 15. It's in-progress status.

My advise would be to save at least 2 hours for the oath ceremony. And mute yourself when you're not required to talk. Wishing you a happy citizenship!

Reactions: chanakyashah

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Folks, at what email should I be sending my boarding pass? I’m planning to return to Canada just to make sure my application is processed. I have a gut feeling that it’s been stalled since I’m out of Canada.

sivabukka

Star Member
Mar 2, 2023
Folks, at what email should I be sending my boarding pass? I’m planning to return to Canada just to make sure my application is processed. I have a gut feeling that it’s been stalled since I’m out of Canada.
Please do not make that mistake if you are working abroad. I took the same approach and came to Canada on Dec 1st 2022. I informed IRCC about my return, updated address, etc... However nothing changed on my file. PPL still in progress. No I am being asked to come back to Europe by my employer as I am getting close to 180 day mark in a calendar year - which would lead host country tax issues. I would recommend you wait and travel once you get the update.

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Please do not make that mistake if you are working abroad. I took the same approach and came to Canada on Dec 1st 2022. I informed IRCC about my return, updated address, etc... However nothing changed on my file. PPL still in progress. No I am being asked to come back to Europe by my employer as I am getting close to 180 day mark in a calendar year - which would lead host country tax issues. I would recommend you wait and travel once you get the update.
Same here. While other people abroad are being processed, why are our files stuck even after return

sivabukka

Star Member
Mar 2, 2023
Same here. While other people abroad are being processed, why are our files stuck even after return
As a last resort I am trying with the MP again as I moved to a new place. Got an email on Friday informing that the MP office would need 5 to 10 days to investigate and come back with an update on my file. Hopefully, will get to hear something.

MRHA

Sep 7, 2022
The citizenship oath done March 14, everything is completed and file shows closed in the tracker as of march 17 :)

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Thanks a ton, I am considering your opinion seriously.

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
As a last resort I am trying with the MP again as I moved to a new place. Got an email on Friday informing that the MP office would need 5 to 10 days to investigate and come back with an update on my file. Hopefully, will get to hear something.
All the best, keep us posted

a303

Star Member
Jan 7, 2022
congrats everyone! I am waiting for my cert from a march 15th oath ceremony.
thank you all so much for being here